Hunter Group pushes for change

Discussion in 'Missouri Outdoor News' started by Gamegetter, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    They need 225k. Good luck.

Lets say they get the signatures, then lets say it ends up on the ballot.... who will ne on what sides??? Farm Bureau, PETA, HSUS, Small Business lobby, etc. What hunting group will team up with PETA and HSUS?? What hunting group will say "yeah, its ok to divide hunters THIS time, but not the next".

But, assuming one does, who will pour more money into this thing? I think we know the answer to that.

Lets say it gets on the ballot and passes.... the legislature can still vote it down, reject it, or change it. This whole deal is pointless.

2. killmode

killmode Deplorable member

Time will tell... in the meantime you might want to brush up on your Missouri Initiative Petition process. This is far from pointless.

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I think the biggest obstacle is petition signatures. They have to be distributed through voter districts. Once it gets on the ballot popular vote can carry it. That's if I understood the way it was explained.

4. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Are you saying that the legislature cant just change this even if passed?

5. killmode

Ya gonna offer to help? I likely will

6. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

That will depend on how they go about it. My job doesn't allow me much time. I would help if I can.

7. killmode

If we were altering a statute, yes, they could repeal or alter it. This is a proposed a amendment to the Constitution, to be placed on the November, 2018 ballot if the petition process is successful.

8. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    They can repeal or alter those as well.

9. killmode

Not without another vote of the people.

10. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    We will see. Just because a ballot initiative passes doesn't mean it will be found Constitutional, or not be litigated. Its happened several times lately that these have been overturned.

Whats bad about this is it lumps elk and bison into Commission control.

Its in the first line "to restrict hunting...." no hunter or outdoorsman in his right mind should support this.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  11. killmode

So you are admitting you are wrong?

that's a first

12. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    That depends, was something I said incorrect?

Now, saying "thats a first" when speaking of me admitting Im wrong IS patently false....

13. killmode

First time I've seen you admit you were wrong even though it was by default.:D

You have issues... It's a shame you don't harness all of your keyboard energy and do something useful with it like contact the group and offer to help.

14. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I still don't know what you are saying IM wrong about...:confused:

Why would I help them do something I oppose?? MDC and the Commission should have absolutely no part in regulating privately owned animals of any species. PERIOD.:wave:

15. killmode

You know what you are wrong about. Go ahead and play dumb if you want.:rolleyes:

Would you be also be fine with high fence canned hunt operations flying in monkeys or gorillas from Africa that could be carrying Ebola? Where would you draw the line on disease importation that endangers our native wildlife or our citizens?

16. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Huh?

The same place its been drawn with all the other animals we have domesticated or privately owned over centuries.

Ebola hasnt been found in the wild in the US, so no. Theres a good chance of keeping it out of the wild by not importing gorillas.... :rolleyes: There is ZERO chance of keeping CWD out of the wild in the US. Gorillas arent native to MO., deer, elk, and bison are. Bottom line, whether they are shot or not, MDC has no legal standing or mandate to regulate any privately owned animal. Thats been pretty well established. If someone wanted to import gorillas it would be regulated by the USDA, US Customs, international laws and treaties, etc. Regulations arent the issue, its WHO is regulating.

17. killmode

If this initiative petition for a constitutional amendment to grant the authority to the Conservation Commission is successful, their argument will be moot.

18. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    It wont be successful. If it is, it will be challenged and amended.

19. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    This does prove one thing though... someone finally got thru to them and pointed out MDC and the Commission have no legal authority currently....

Mid term election, red state, Republican governor, highly agricultural amd rural, trying to ban a form of hunting? Again, good luck...:thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  20. killmode

It would take another Constitutional Amendment to do it. You would be hard pressed to find anyone more conservative or right leaning than I am and I'll be behind it 100%. IMO, canned hunts aren't hunting anyway and I believe the majority of Missourians would agree with that.

Governor has no say so, no veto power, no anything over an initiative petition other than his individual right as a voter.

I have work to do. Go argue with henry:D:D