Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a long read.....

After a bit off walking I quickly became unsure if I was still where I was supposed to be since the property is not well marked. I decided to head back to the area I had previously hunted and was more comfortable with. Right where I had planned on hanging a stand I jumped up a buck, it looked like a pretty solid 8 pt with a nice sized body.

That was all the convincing I needed to just hang my stand where I had originally intended. So I chose tree got the stand hung and by the time was I done I was sweating my arse off. I decided to sit and chill for a short while in my stand. I had just a long sleeve camo t-shirt, old jean, and a ball cap on. After sitting for a half hour or so I decided to stand and was thinking about heading out. I looked back to the south and about 70-8- yards away I picked up some movement, three deer had moved in and where moving my way. It ended up being three bucks, all in velvet. One was a 1 ½ year old buck. He was a small 8 pt with potential. He had a nice rack for his age, but I could tell he was only 1 ½ year old by looking at his body. One was a 2 ½ year old 7 pt, his rack was taller and wider than the 8 pt and he had a bigger body. Another year or so and he will be a dandy. The third deer was a 1 ½ year old buck. One side was a short spike, the other side was wild, he must have damaged the pedicle under the skin early because that side had a golf ball sized lump under the skin, the antler grew straight down it was about 8 or so inches long, about the diameter of an empty paper towel roll, and on the bottom it had a baseball sized knot. You could see the know hanging below its chin from the other side of its head. Rather weird, they all three walked within 10 yds or so from my stand. The deformed racked buck walked right beneath me.

Its gonna be a good year.

GP

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Thats the kinda stuff a guy likes to see when hanging a stand. You should have a confidence level of about 125% the first time you hunt that spot.

:wink4:

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I also jumped two does that were headed right towards my stand on my way back to my truck. This place is loaded with deer, its the same place I shot the buck in my avatar. He was the 3rd buck I had seen that morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.