Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this research in one of the recent articles pushing the macaque-CWD research. Turns out that in 2015, lead researcher Prof. Timothy Kurt demonstrated that the human prion is not susceptible to the malformed cervid prion due to its structure. Maybe some of you guys had seen Kurt's work before, but it was new to me so I thought I'd pass it along. I've read a lot about CWD but I hadn't seen this before. I wonder why not? I guess "no big deal: humans are immune to this one" isn't the kind of thing that generates clicks online.

Link: https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releas...rion-protein-and-chronic-wasting-disease.aspx

Pastor Curtis

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
Since mad cow jumped that barrier i don't plan on knowingly eating cwd infected venison.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I concur, Henry! Why take chances. I'm getting my deer from CWD areas tested for sure. And all research is by its nature provisional.

But I hope this guy's research is right! And if it can be verified beyond reasonable doubt, it sure would change the way states approach the problem. You've ID'd one avenue of research that is obviously needed: does this research predict the observed mad cow-human connection?

Pastor Curtis

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
I concur, Henry! Why take chances. I'm getting my deer from CWD areas tested for sure. And all research is by its nature provisional.

But I hope this guy's research is right! And if it can be verified beyond reasonable doubt, it sure would change the way states approach the problem. You've ID'd one avenue of research that is obviously needed: does this research predict the observed mad cow-human connection?

Pastor Curtis
My concern is that it has more than one type and the research could be specific to one type.

Reactions: flounder

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
I came across this research in one of the recent articles pushing the macaque-CWD research. Turns out that in 2015, lead researcher Prof. Timothy Kurt demonstrated that the human prion is not susceptible to the malformed cervid prion due to its structure. Maybe some of you guys had seen Kurt's work before, but it was new to me so I thought I'd pass it along. I've read a lot about CWD but I hadn't seen this before. I wonder why not? I guess "no big deal: humans are immune to this one" isn't the kind of thing that generates clicks online.

Link: https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releas...rion-protein-and-chronic-wasting-disease.aspx

Pastor Curtis
I am afraid that the work might be off because it assumes the infectious agent is a prion. Another example of trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.As long as everything is working to prove a false theory nothing can be accomplished.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
Researchers expose deer to prions and they get a prion disease .

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
What happens when a few CWD positive deer go through the local butcher shop???
What do you mean ?? I would assume there would be risk at some level. They will need to eventually determine how much prion contamination it takes to infect before that's known for sure .

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
I was unaware people used internet forums without possessing the ability to read.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
I was unaware people used internet forums without possessing the ability to read.
I was unaware that people posted links without actually reading and comprehending the content of the link....

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Researchers expose deer to prions and they get a prion disease .
They can not determine how the disease works. When it is the theory at all costs that is being defended resistance to looking deep into those so called infectious agent prions is at hand. Not saying that Dr. Bastian has all the answers but the microbs he has found the evidence of are among the smallest of things man has thus far found.
What is goes from what we can see and understand out further and back further.The answer could be seen as not sending a man to the moon it would be like sending a man to the moon of the next constellation.Things work back the same way in the world of the small.
The answers are at the edge of mans ability to see, study, and understand.On the one hand when mans ability to see far enough into the worlds of the tiny a new theory was presented which over time was seen as valid in explaining diseases such as cwd.But over the last 50 years as time and money has been spent trying to prove the theory they just can not do it.Little annoyances such as all cases do not even have the supposedly infective prions points to prions being a effect not the cause.
SCIENCE IS LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE. In a attempt to develop theory which contains the answers man seeks theory's come and theory's go. In time the theory everything prion will go . the reason is that a prion is not the infectious agent that causes cwd. CWD IS A BIOLOGICAL SYSTEM starting in the world of the tiny that results in a disease just like all disease comes from.
Right or wrong i believe that in order to solve a disease like this it has to be viewed in the context of the larger biological system that allows it to spread.Bastian is spot on , he has spent much time on th place in the world of tiny where what man comprehends and what is still unseen lies.But he has developed the tools to be able to follow the path that a member of a tiny class of bacterium takes in nature.His work also opens the door to a better test to know if a animal is infected. These are the kind of solution based work that needs to be going on. the collecting of the evidence and assisting scientific inquiry falls with in the definition of what design for conservation promises.
On all fronts the forests, fisheries ,birds and mammals, reptiles, bees, you name it our precious resources are under attack and more attacks will be coming in large part to the spreading of organisms in a world economy. CWD IS NOT A EFFICIENTLY SPREAD DISEASE , IF IT WERE THE SPREAD IN THE PENS WOULD BE FST AND FURIOUS.We have to know the other players that have to be present in order for cwd to be passed.
Cut the bull **** that prions are building up to the point according to that crap that one day the crust of the earth will be nothing but shed prion cells. The scientific method requires science to search for answers not the attempt to force round pegs into square holes. The lack of user bias , prejudice turns science into a alien .
The world has went thru scrappies mad cow, and cwd but the science has not found answers just excuses and a attempt to sweep those diseases under the carpet.
Some say that a disease of a deer is way on the back burner but not so fast. the value of our precious resources should bring on added reaction that will help science evolve above the failed theory of everything prion. Some day it will be seen that the lowly to some deer and elk, the wildlife , are the ones with the power to right the ship of deceit from the glazier infected waters . WILL that is my hope,failure to engage certainly is not a option.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
They can not determine how the disease works. When it is the theory at all costs that is being defended resistance to looking deep into those so called infectious agent prions is at hand. Not saying that Dr. Bastian has all the answers but the microbs he has found the evidence of are among the smallest of things man has thus far found.
What is goes from what we can see and understand out further and back further.The answer could be seen as not sending a man to the moon it would be like sending a man to the moon of the next constellation.Things work back the same way in the world of the small.
The answers are at the edge of mans ability to see, study, and understand.On the one hand when mans ability to see far enough into the worlds of the tiny a new theory was presented which over time was seen as valid in explaining diseases such as cwd.But over the last 50 years as time and money has been spent trying to prove the theory they just can not do it.Little annoyances such as all cases do not even have the supposedly infective prions points to prions being a effect not the cause.
SCIENCE IS LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE. In a attempt to develop theory which contains the answers man seeks theory's come and theory's go. In time the theory everything prion will go . the reason is that a prion is not the infectious agent that causes cwd. CWD IS A BIOLOGICAL SYSTEM starting in the world of the tiny that results in a disease just like all disease comes from.
Right or wrong i believe that in order to solve a disease like this it has to be viewed in the context of the larger biological system that allows it to spread.Bastian is spot on , he has spent much time on th place in the world of tiny where what man comprehends and what is still unseen lies.But he has developed the tools to be able to follow the path that a member of a tiny class of bacterium takes in nature.His work also opens the door to a better test to know if a animal is infected. These are the kind of solution based work that needs to be going on. the collecting of the evidence and assisting scientific inquiry falls with in the definition of what design for conservation promises.
On all fronts the forests, fisheries ,birds and mammals, reptiles, bees, you name it our precious resources are under attack and more attacks will be coming in large part to the spreading of organisms in a world economy. CWD IS NOT A EFFICIENTLY SPREAD DISEASE , IF IT WERE THE SPREAD IN THE PENS WOULD BE FST AND FURIOUS.We have to know the other players that have to be present in order for cwd to be passed.
Cut the bull **** that prions are building up to the point according to that crap that one day the crust of the earth will be nothing but shed prion cells. The scientific method requires science to search for answers not the attempt to force round pegs into square holes. The lack of user bias , prejudice turns science into a alien .
The world has went thru scrappies mad cow, and cwd but the science has not found answers just excuses and a attempt to sweep those diseases under the carpet.
Some say that a disease of a deer is way on the back burner but not so fast. the value of our precious resources should bring on added reaction that will help science evolve above the failed theory of everything prion. Some day it will be seen that the lowly to some deer and elk, the wildlife , are the ones with the power to right the ship of deceit from the glazier infected waters . WILL that is my hope,failure to engage certainly is not a option.
Huh?

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
I’m not sure if a human has ever gotten the true Mad Cow disease from a cow.I believe there are different variations of the disease but not sure that th actual Mad Cow is the one humans can get.But I could be wrong I’m not real familiar with all the spongiform disease junk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Notice when people outlawed feeding cows bone mill from cows the epidemic went away? Notice it also happens in sheep ? When certain tribes had an epidemic of Zombie disease it was traced back to the practice of them eating the brains of their dead loved to inherit their wisdom. Nature has a way of eliminating cannibalism in animals through selective breeding . Over crowding of deer especially in pens are a recipe for disaster .

1 - 20 of 90 Posts