Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this pic in my email and do not know where the fish was caught. Has anyone seen it, or know? Even if nobody does I thought it was worth sharing!

Attachments

·
5,631 Posts
Yeah, I got this last week in an email. It actually said that the fish weighed 41 lbs. Somebody's lying!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
humm as long a he don't try and tell me he landed it on that crappie pole in the back ground i might buy it :rotfl:

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Holy cow!!
:cheers::cheers:

I've been fishing in Canada once, and never had anything like that on the line! What a fight that must have been!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Wow!! That's freak'n enormous!:eek:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No! The origional pic is definitely a Northern Pike! Notice the brite red fins on the Musky. Also northerns have the whiteish spots, look close the musky does not have spots, just a colored pattern. If you could see the muskies tail it would be a lot larger than the pikes and sharply V-ed. I don't know if thew pic is real or from whwere but it is a Northern Pike not a Ski

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Pike and Muskie look very similar, but like the Snowman said, the red fins are somewhat telltale. Though, I have NEVER seen a pike this fat and big. At that size, I suppose anything goes.... Even the 36" pike I have caught have been long and slender. That is one serious fish!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Northern pike

STATE RECORD
45 pounds, 12 ounces, length not available, Basswood Lake (Lake County), 05/16/1929.

05/12/07

Walleye, sauger, northern pike fishing - 2007 statewide opener

This voracious predator is one of the easiest fish to catch because it so willingly bites lures or bait. What's more, northerns produce chunky white fillets that many anglers say taste as good as walleyes. Most northerns caught by fishing run 2 to 3 pounds, though trophies over 20 pounds are caught each year. A close cousin to the muskellunge, the northern pike lives in nearly all of Minnesota's lakes and streams.

The quickest way to tell a northern pike from a muskie is to note that the northern has light markings on a dark body background, while muskies generally have dark markings on a light background. A foolproof method is to count the pores on the underside of the jaw: the northern has five or fewer; the muskie has six or more. Northerns also have rounded tail fins, compared to the pointy tail fins of a muskie.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went to Reindeer lake 3 years in a row trying for 30#er. Caught and released dozens of 20#+ pike. Caught one 28#s have one mounted 26. They get 40# fish or close to it on Reindeer yearly. Almost all catch and release now for sport fisherman. They are pigs. We saw an Indian commercial fishing boat with several around 30 ponds just laying on top a tub full of Lake Trout. Made me sick.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.