Howell Island

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by huntinandhopin, Oct 26, 2010.

1. huntinandhopin

huntinandhopin Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Farmington, MO
    My Brother-in-Law and I are heading up to Howell Island this weekend for the first time ever. We will be using the boat and coming in on the back side. Any suggestions or helpful information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:cheers:

2. MObuckman

MObuckman Active Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Fenton
    where a good life vest! Don't know much about the hunting, but every year someone turns up missing

3. SUFI57

SUFI57 Member

Oct 25, 2010
    ive hunted at howell island a few times. ive never killed anything or even seen anything. i have talked to some people out there that have but usually nothing big. just does. i know there are a lot of deer out there. but they seem to be nocturnal, because there is a big hiking trail that goes around the thing so there are not only hunters but people out there with there dogs messing around and making lots of noise. if you go out there i would suggest going to the back of the island because all the deer get pushed back there. good luck though. make sure you put in at weldon spring. let me know how it goes.

4. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Be careful out there, esp in the dark. I would not try a river run like that unless I had made the same run in daylight hours...

5. Labs40

Labs40 Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Wentzville,Mo
    Be careful out there. Only been there once and it was easy to get turned around once you wander off the trails. Good Luck!:)

6. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    TAKE A COMPASS!!!!! and other then that...on the back side of the island there is a ton of deer! and like said above they either get pushed up or they start running in daylight cuz of the rut...i will be hunting on the mainland right near there this weekend!:cheers:

7. huntinandhopin

huntinandhopin Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Farmington, MO
    Thanks everyone. We made the river run over there a few times last year but never hunted it. I remember reading on here about the highly organized deer drives that some very bright hunters put on...Is that still a problem out there? Arent there a couple of big uns taken off the island every year not just does?

8. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    LIFE JACKET!!! someones dies every year heading to or from there.

9. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    [rquote=1864373&tid=129797&author=huntinandhopin]Thanks everyone. We made the river run over there a few times last year but never hunted it. I remember reading on here about the highly organized deer drives that some very bright hunters put on...Is that still a problem out there? Arent there a couple of big uns taken off the island every year not just does? [/rquote]

yeah they are taken off there but its more of a luck thing on that place....have you not hunted it ever before?

10. huntinandhopin

huntinandhopin Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Farmington, MO
    Never hunted it. Does anyone know if the causeway is still out? If it is, that should help with the deer drivers and the overcrowding, right?

11. Tbones

Tbones Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I've hunted Howell for many years. Mostly from the river. There are plenty of big bucks on that island and plenty of deer. IMO, the more people the better it is. Those drives have been going on for a long time. I used to see those guys out there 10-12 years ago. If you see them get started, go set up down river and wait. They'll usually kick up deer. Wear a life jacket and bring a compass. WEAR A LIFE JACKET AND BRING A COMPASS!! Just wanted to be sure I got that across. The Missouri is a dangerous river but if you're safe and not in a hurry you should be fine. You can access the island directly across from the ramp. There is a wingdike that comes straight out, go just above it and head to the island there. That area puts you in plenty of woods on the south west end of the big field, plenty of area to spend the day and see whitetails. Be very careful of the wingdikes when crossing. The river level is 15.40 now so most of the dikes should be visable. Never cut directly in below a dike as most of them make an L shape and you'll likely hit them. When in doubt, go all the way down to the next dike and come in above it and head directly upstream to the next one. There are a lot of flats below the wingdikes so you can go from 20ft of water to 2ft real quick. Good hunting and let us know how you did!