Howell Island CA

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Nicholas, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Have any of you folks hunted Howell Island for Turkey, and if so then how was it and any advice?

2. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Anybody, anybody?
    :pop:

3. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Great, now I need a GPS!!!!!

4. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    I believe my compass, I am a pilot and every time I would deviate from the compass heading and get lost, I believe it was correct!

5. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Several deer hunters have ended up spending the night on that island because they couldn't find their way out. Be careful.

6. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    How the heck do you get lost on an Island? Let's see, compass, entry point, backcourse, waterline, cardinal points, what am I missing here folks?

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Never hunted it myself, but I have a friend that used to... I'll axe him!

8. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
  9. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    You lost me at compass! :hysterical::hysterical:

Sorry...:smiley:

10. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    I used to hunt there all the time. Never saw "alot" of turks there, but have seen a few.

And you "can" get lost there, or at leasted turned around. Just walk in one direction long enough and you will either hit a trail or water, and both will lead you to the entrance.

11. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    I have never hunted it either but heard it is very easy to get turned around. And do not be on the Island if it is raining. You can get stranded easy. Also heard that the pressure is pretty high. Sorry I couldn't be any more help. Good luck if you decide to hunt it. Let us know how it goes! Oh I also heard the best way to get to it is by boat. Putting in across the river, but can't remember what the landing is called. If you have a boat, that is the best way to get to the back side of the island. At least that is what I have heard.