Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy is 2 years old. Last weekend we were at Bass Pro in Columbia and got to watch them feed the fish in the tank. Gage LOVED it. All he talked about that day was wanting to go fishing.

I am sure he would have a blast this summer if I could find a place to take him. Anyone think that 2 1/2 is too young for a kid to start fishing?

Gonna try to find a pond to take him to that has some bluegill and bass in it. Figure that would keep him occupied.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Little story....

When GHS was about...4-5....he wanted to go fishing. We booked a cabin at LOZ. It was springtime, and the crappie were biting bigtime. Rented a pontoon boat, and got out to our spot, near some docks. Started fishing (really, I was baiting, he was fishing), and caught 3 REALLY nice ones. Suddenly, GHS decides he wants to go play on this old, rusted, playground stuff at the cabins. What I says? You're kidding right ? NO dad, he says, I wanna goooooooooo......:mad2:

So, you guessed it, we left the honey hole, and spent the morning on that rusty junk :whinging:

Yes, he's old enough, Josh, but like the above said, be prepared for little fishing, and probably a lot of playing :cheers:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sure, I`d start him off when the bluegill are spawning, and the action is fast with a bobber. that`s the way I did with both of mine around that age. You want their early years to be successful, and size really doesn`t matter at that age.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, figured we might last for about 30 minutes of fishing a day. But I bet those 30 minutes would be a blast.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I know one of your neighbors that has THE ULTIMATE place to take a kid fishing!

Without saying his name....He the proud owner of only the best hunting site on the interweb!!!

A lake like the one he has will spoil anyone when it comes to fishing!

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[rquote=1546367&tid=107653&author=SHEDHEAD]I know one of your neighbors that has THE ULTIMATE place to take a kid fishing!

Without saying his name....He the proud owner of only the best hunting site on the interweb!!!

A lake like the one he has will spoil anyone when it comes to fishing![/rquote]

very true. might have to make a phone call this spring

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Keep it simple.Worms and a Cane Pole and bunch of Perch.

[file]89096[/file]

[file]89097[/file]

Even when they get older they Love to catch fish.My Son and Grandson had never fished for Trout and thought it would be too hard.I told my Son to come up the Trout are biting well we will use Bait and keep it simple.Caught Limits in 45 minutes.

[file]89098[/file]

[file]89099[/file]

oneshot
:D The Big Grin just can't wait for some warm days [file]89100[/file]

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
There's no fish in that pond ole slim sheddy what you talkin bout?? Sure was fun wasn't it?

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
Bet ya we can find ya a pond in the area with some fishies. [file]89105[/file]

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
as soon as they are old enough to start crying, yeah that is a good time to put a fishing rod in their hands.

·
Grrrrrrr
30,041 Posts
I took my son fishing the day we brought him home from the hospital...he didn't catch any and doesn't remember it....well ok...he just slept in his car seat while I fished.

Honestly though the others above have answered your question but I'll add that we started taking our kids camping and fishing when they were two. Both were born in the spring and had barely turned two. I remember a camping trip we took at Table Rock in 2000. Nathan was 7 and Cara was two. We camped for two nights on Indian Point and fished and swam on table rock. Cara was toddling around all over the place and wouldn't leave the campfire alone. Nathan woke up in the middle of the night, stood up, and pee'd in the corner of the tent on his sleeping bag and his clothes for the next couple days. At 7 AM we were in town at a laundry mat washing his things so we could continue our trip.

Fun times.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
A good rule of thumb for a max# of minutes to fish is 15 minutes for every year of age. That is not to say you can't bring him a blanket and some other things to keep him entertained too.

Don't forget the snacks and drinks!

(bug spray, sun tan lotion, etc.)

Parker

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Yep....not much of an attention span will be devoted to fishing, but if the interest is there go for it! My daughter caught her first one at 2-1/2. Taught her to bait her own hook right from the start...told her that was the rules: ya wanna fish, ya gotta bait your own hook & take off your own fish (without killing or injuring it)! She sure enjoys it...18 years later....:eek::

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Started mine when they were 3-4 and I would bait a hole with corn for carp. All of my kids caught big carp and were hooked :D for life on fishing.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I took my daughter when she turned 3. We go to a public lake and catch teeny tiny Bluegill with her Dora fishing rod. She seems to enjoy it, but we don't stay for more than 30 min.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.