HOW TO MAKE A WET TURKEY CALL PLAY!!!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Poor Valley, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    I have been playing around with ideas on how to make a wet slat or glass call work when wet. Why? Cause I like to hunt in the rain(none ever accuse me of being smart). I have looked in all sorts of litereture and tried stuff guaranteed to make this happen. None of it worked for me without making the call sound awful!

I recieved some comments back from a fellow who had tested one of my al calls. He said he had the best luck with a striker with a burnt end, "it grabbed better" he said. Got me thinking about "grab". Probably need something slightly abrasive but not so much that it could scratch a surface too much. Which led me to some sole searching and eventually to toothpaste cause it has a very mild abrasive. Didn't work!, but the label said one of the ingredients was "dental baking soda" so off I went to the kitchen to get the Arm&Hammer!

Moistened a striker on my tongue then into the soda and to a new smooth glass call and lo and behold it played just as well as if the surface had been properly prepared. Next came the al surface, same results. Man I was on a roll! I knew it would work on slate so I went for the juglar and wet it at the fawcett, put a pinch of soda on the slate, took a deep breath and cut loose.....Absolute success!!! It sounded as good as if it was dry!! TRY IT!!!!!

This means a lit to turkey hunters and WE are first. Lets keep it our little secret! Yea, bologney. Tell everyone!:soapbox::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

2. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    man this is great the biggest problem i have in the spring is now matter what i try my calls always get moist or just plumb soaked so now i just got to carry a small bag of white powder along with me

be the warden will like that:roll2:

thanks jerry

3. Poor Valley

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Hey HFF grab a call and try it! It is amazing!:banana:

4. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
    PV
    a carbon striker seems to work good as well

5. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    PV, you might want to patent this idea or somebody else will. It works too good for it not to be patented.

6. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    ok so i just stuck my call under the tap as well :bangin:

HOLY CRAP BATMAN YOU AINT KIDDING THAT IS AWSOME

i have had several morning i have fought the dew and other moisture on my slates HAHAHAHA NO MORE MAN

DIE TURKEY BIRD DIE

7. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
  8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  9. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Anybody have a set of those tupperware picnic salt and pepper shakers with the hinged closable tops on them??? A guy could carry a shaker with the magic Poor Valley friction restorer in it,,in his vest with him.

( good thinkin jerry)

:cheers::cheers:

10. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Excellent info Poor Valley!

Now the turkeys don't stand a chance..............well, in my dreams anyway.

11. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Good info PV!
    Thanks for sharing!
    :cheers::cheers:

12. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004

So if you do patent it, call your product "Wet Dreams". :hysterical::D

13. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    So the patent wil go threw simple put some powderd die in the baking soda. That way it is alterd somewhat aperance wise. But seriously patent it. I still regret the day i dint patent an idea when i was 15 years old in work shoop and now menny years later i see the device for sale every where. Not all that shure if i thouhgt it up first and made it first. But I got an A for my shoop class by making a pin with the flip circle on it that you push down once you have the pin threw 2 objects with holes in them for the pin. Way back in 1982

14. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Thanks for the info!!!!!

15. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I'm guessing those pins have been around for a LONG time. If I'm thinking of the right thing at least. That's abotu all people use on Category 2 hook ups on a three point hitch, we've got hundreds of those things cause we loose them all the time.
    i definately need to invent something!

16. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    great tip PV....I'm gonna use Henry's idea and put some in an old salt shaker!!!
    :dancin:

17. Mike911

Mike911 New Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Definitely good information this will be very helpful.

18. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I wonder if puting rice in teh shaker will work as it does in keeping moisture from the salt? GUessit cant hert to be extra carfull.

And yeop that is the type of pin I was talking about.

19. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    Thanks PV, i 'm with the others though. you could have market this miracle stuff and called it "Dry Slate". sold it to all these sporting goods places. how much arm & hammer did you place on the slate? a light dusting or a real sand storm amount? shake it off before you play or just go to it?

20. Poor Valley

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    I just dropped a pinch on the slate and smeared it around with the striker then played it. Keep in mind I drenched the call with water(don't recommend this), where I think it will be most helpful is those damp mornings when calls sound erratic. It doesn't seem to dry the slate, just lets the striker "grab" it better. This stuff is great on my al calls. I had been trying to make a striker for wet conditions with very little luck. I don't think I will try anymore.