Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I had a feeling I shouldn't take the 20 gauge as planned. And it was a good thing cause the shot was through a few small trees and underbrush, as well as 40 yds.

Had my choice of two birds, both appearing to be similar in size. They were gobbling all over the farm Saturday, maybe 20 or so. These two hadn't gobbled until they were within about 60 yrds, but still out of sight due to the terrain. I thought maybe for an instant that I might not get a shot, as they didn't see my decoys and started to cut around behind me.

I'd say they were drumming and strutting for 30 minutes, and I couldn't see 'em. I was as frustrated as they probably were!

A nice bird at 24 lbs, with an 11" beard, and 1" spurs.

The weather was perfect. Clear, sunny, about 45 degrees, and no wind. There was even a slight fog floating across the creek bottom. Anything that made a noise, birds would gobble....crows, geese, sandhill cranes, my calling, owl's hooting....anything!

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
BT, congrats on a fine Tom!!:cheers::cheers::cheers: I love those kinda days.

Jack

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Congrats,,,,,,,,,,our sunday was the oppisite. We were completely socked in by fog. It did'nt lift till after 9:30 and the birds gobbled very little becuase of it.

Thats a nice bird by the way.

:cheers::cheers:

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
yeah,thats a good one.:cheers:

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Very nice bird and nice pic too!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Good job again Chris!!!! Been a bad year for me. First weekend didn't see a thing. This past weekend I seen only one shooter and 2 hens. Worse year I can remember having.
Congrats on the nice bird!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks fer all the congrats. A very good bird, but I just can't seem to get over that 24 lb. mark.

I'd love to find one that tipped the scales at 28+ ! :D

Whats the largest bird ya'll have taken?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.