Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
King of Callaway
42,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poachers, I'm not talking the one's that shoot a deer of the road and grab it check it in, or the one that is 2 tree rats over limit.

I'm talking the people who routinley shoot more than ten deer/turkey out of season, commerical fishing on lakes, hunting fowl over baited fields and killing many times the leagal limit ect.

Anyone got anything other than a guess how many people get away for each one that is caught :confused:

Just curious :pop:

·
Under appreciated
88,271 Posts
I bet the actual numbers would surprise you if we knew.

I bet its way more than we even imagin... its a big problem and MDC spends a lot of coin chasing that tail.

·
King of Callaway
42,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by rat
I bet the actual numbers would surprise you if we knew.

I bet its way more than we even imagin... its a big problem and MDC spends a lot of coin chasing that tail.
Ya I've heard some of the stories first hand, I couldn't belive how much evidence they needed sometimes :stickfight:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Originally posted by looking_for_guns
Originally posted by rat
spends a lot of coin chasing that tail.
I use to spend alot of coin chasin tail :scared:

:cheers:
:cheers::rof2:Me too.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I think it happens all to often and more get away with it then are caught. I think it's especially easy for people to do it when their house is near the land they poach on. The odds of them getting caught hauling game from the land to their house is pretty small. Only way they'll get caught is if a neighbor knows what they're up too or a game warden is in the area and hears excessive shooting or shooting out of season or before/after shooting time. I know we have some serious problems with poachers on and around our land.

·
Under appreciated
88,271 Posts
Originally posted by rat

LOL... yea, its an expensive hunt for sure. :drunk:

Fishshooter... sometimes evidence is sketchy and they end up barking up the wrong tree... we had a talk about that one night. ;)

For the most part, they DO spend a lot of time and resources chasing and reprimanding these knotheads.
Its an expense that some folks forget about when they accuse them of moneygrabbing.
Poachin gets worse everyyear seems like.

·
King of Callaway
42,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by rat
Originally posted by rat

LOL... yea, its an expensive hunt for sure. :drunk:

Fishshooter... sometimes evidence is sketchy and they end up barking up the wrong tree... we had a talk about that one night. ;)
I'm not talking about little incidents though, I mean someone killing bucks and selling the horns, someone setting 200 hooks on a lake and then selling the fish they catch, catching spoon bill whenever and selling caviar.

I mean for each group that gets caught, how many may do such a thing for a period of years and then move on another area, new job whatever :pop:

·
Under appreciated
88,271 Posts
Yea... thats a good questionee for sure. Hard telling.
I'm like you though, if someone is that blatant about it, how the heck they get away with it??

·
King of Callaway
42,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by rat
Yea... thats a good questionee for sure. Hard telling.
I'm like you though, if someone is that blatant about it, how the heck they get away with it??
Seems a lot of that did finally get caught also did it for a while too :whiteflag:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
No way of knowing how many people poach and get away with it. I would guess that 70% of the bad guys get away with it.
Years ago a grandfather of a buddy of mine turned in a neighbor for deer hanging in his barn out of season. The Conservation officer wrote him a ticket for each offense. He showed up in a wheel chair for court and claimed he could not work and this was his way of feeding his family. They let the guy go with a $25 fine and court coast.
Guess what county this was in?

Yep!!!! Good old Iron County!!!!

·
17,685 Posts
Fish I remember when I was in high school or just out of school, there was a ol boy that year n and year out used to shoot 150 class and bigger bucks every year, well just so happened to be a fulton guy, one year he shoot a 160 class buck on the next farm past my mom and dads, with a spotlight and a 22, the dummy turned in in as a bow kill and took it to the taxi. and the game warden had been doing a little investing into all his bucks, found the bullet in the buck. Arrested him and went and searches his trailer WOW, they took all of his mounts (they were all illegal) turkeys, guns etc. And to top it off, he got into big trouble for selling and possecion of cocaine. The next year he was caught stealing someone's deer stands and got his butt kicked real bad. True Story

·
PURE KILLER
37,999 Posts
Originally posted by hillbilly
Fish I remember when I was in high school or just out of school, there was a ol boy that year n and year out used to shoot 150 class and bigger bucks every year, well just so happened to be a fulton guy, one year he shoot a 160 class buck on the next farm past my mom and dads, with a spotlight and a 22, the dummy turned in in as a bow kill and took it to the taxi. and the game warden had been doing a little investing into all his bucks, found the bullet in the buck. Arrested him and went and searches his trailer WOW, they took all of his mounts (they were all illegal) turkeys, guns etc. And to top it off, he got into big trouble for selling and possecion of cocaine. The next year he was caught stealing someone's deer stands and got his butt kicked real bad. True Story
i remember that :rof2:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,895 Posts
An awful lot would be my guess....

I still think, they need to make the penalty very expensive... You will never get rid of all of it, but sooner or later they'll figure out that the cost of doing business is just plain ole too high....

We're starting to see that with DUI laws... At one time, DUI was so prevalent, that you would here you'll never slow it down, etc...

But, I the tougher regs have helped slow it down.

You start fining people 10k for illegally killin a deer, sooner or later, many of them will stop doing it. And, the money that they fine em, can be put into hiring more officers to enforce it...

I personally am sick of game law violations being treated like it's no big deal. They are stealing from all of us, and I'm sick & tired of it.....:soapbox:

·
17,685 Posts
Originally posted by coyotehunter
Seriosly, back around 88 - 90 east of Fulton

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Originally posted by callaojoe
An awful lot would be my guess....

I still think, they need to make the penalty very expensive... You will never get rid of all of it, but sooner or later they'll figure out that the cost of doing business is just plain ole too high....

We're starting to see that with DUI laws... At one time, DUI was so prevalent, that you would here you'll never slow it down, etc...

But, I the tougher regs have helped slow it down.

You start fining people 10k for illegally killin a deer, sooner or later, many of them will stop doing it. And, the money that they fine em, can be put into hiring more officers to enforce it...

I personally am sick of game law violations being treated like it's no big deal. They are stealing from all of us, and I'm sick & tired of it.....:soapbox:
The problem is that the punishment is in the hands of the prosecutor & judge, not anyone assoc. with MDC at all

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,895 Posts
Originally posted by Mojorisin
The problem is that the punishment is in the hands of the prosecutor & judge, not anyone assoc. with MDC at all
Yep, and that should change too..... Heard too many stories where a local judge treated it like it was no big deal, cause that's so-n-so's boy, and his daddy is my quail hunting buddy.....

·
King of Callaway
42,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by coyotehunter
Seriosly, back around 88 - 90 east of Fulton
Hard to saw where to start there :roll2:

·
Senior Hunter
3,309 Posts
The only ones that get caught are the ones that are turned in. Same thing for deer hunting, fishing, shooting squirrels. Seriously go home and shoot a buck with a rifle tonight. You will get away with it as long as no one else knows. So I agree with other posts... the actual numbers would surprise you. I think it would be awful hard to police poachers. The only thing agents have to go on are tips from others.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts