How much money???

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by FiremanBrad, Mar 1, 2006.

1. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Hi ya'll....anybody have an idea what a bag of Ladino Clover seed should sell for? I need to buy a bag. I've never planted any, but the Uncle says lets try some! He got his farm enrolled in one of the Quail Restoration programs with the Cons. Dept., not sure what it's called, but has to have some food plots scattered around...I told him if it didn't hurt, could we have a few extras...So I figured this would be the place to ask!!!

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Can't believe nobody knows......

3. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    You can find it for varying prices. I get ladino from my local co-op for about $4/pound or so.

4. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Thanks HShooter, that's what I'm lookin for....the cuz in law is going to split it with me....lol, so had to be able to tell him how much he needs to bring!!!

5. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Before you go buy some head on over to your NRCS office. Right now they have FREE bags of clover for food plots. They can only give you a 5 lb bag, but they also gave me about 25 lbs of alfalfa. That sure cheapened my food plot down for this year.

6. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

You are da man, RBH.....that's what I'm talkin about!!!!

7. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I think that I got close to $150 worth of free seed that day. They should also have a day coming up when you can get other food plot seeds such as milo, wheat & beans.

8. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Have you tried milo??? I think I need to try some....would definitely be something different in our area...all corn and beans....It's a wonder a Pioneer symbol aint growin outta the deer's sides....lol

9. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I have put out a little milo the last 4 years. They usually hit it hard after you get a little snow on the ground. I put out 1 strip last year that bordered a bedding area and they litterly destroyed it. Seams it is kind of hit & miss. This year I am mainly going to try clover & alfalfa.

10. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    A whole bag of ladino would plant about half the county.:soapbox:

11. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Ladino clover at MFA is $2.95/lb. Current recommendation is 1/2-2 lb per acre if drilled and 2-4 lb per acre if broadcast.

If it stays dry as it has been, milo might be the best bet because it grows extremely well in hot, dry weather.

Has anyone tried sudan-sudex hybrid grass? It is a relative to milo but it grows 8-10 feet high and would be deer heaven. It grows thick and has seed heads similar to milo. I've planted it for hay production but never left any for food plots.

12. V.P.

V.P. New Member

Jan 8, 2004
  13. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Its available on the main site, in 50# and 8# bags. It is synergy ladino.

:cheers::cheers:

14. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Fireman
    I generally plant a little heavier than the recommended rates just to be safe, but overdoing it can be worse than not planting enough so don't go too crazy.
    I have planted Milo in the past and am doing it again this year. The one thing I would recommend on the milo is to plan your planting where it is heading out just prior to when you are wanting to hunt it. I planted about 3 acres last time and it literally looked like it had been combined, not a seed to be found, by the second week of october. Honestly probably the best attracting plot I have ever planted. I'm holding off a little longer this year.
    Also, I would ALWAYS recommend mixing in a couple of pounds of chicory with your clover plantings. It is an awesome plant for a plot, great protien levels, very drought resistant, and will survive for as long as the clover. You can pick up commercial chicory seed from places like Tecomate or you can get it from your local co-op most likely. It is a little more pricey than clover seed but I'm telling you it's great. You can generally pick it up for $7/pound or a little more, worth every cent. I'll never plant a perennial plot without including chicory.

15. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I got 8 lbs of free ladino clover at the NRCS Office this afternoon!!! My uncle has been drilling warm season grasses around every field, so he'll spot in some clover plots for me...Hoyt, when would you suggest planting the milo, say, to bowhunt over the first of Nov?

I also got the super secret mineral mix makin's today, and mixed up 2 different batches for 2 mineral licks....a 3# coffee can with the recipe makes just over a half a 5 gallon bucket....I used a long handled shovel, and dug up the spot first, sprinkled the mix over it, then turned it all over again...we'll see how it works!!!

16. Transplanted Hoosier

Transplanted Hoosier New Member

Oct 16, 2002
    HOME AT LAST!!
    henry-

I presume you wil have some at the classic...save shipping that way. I have a field I need to redo.

17. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I've got some 8# bags for the classic. If your just over seeding existing clover 8#'s will go alittle ways .

:cheers::cheers:

18. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

What is NRCS office?