Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,677 Posts
Although I'm not putting a whole lot of effort into trapping this year, I have only caught 7 possum and 1 racoon at the farm. I've only got a couple of the kill type box traps out, so results are not too surprising.

The landowner, pulled his trail cams and had one picture with 13 long beards in one shot. There were probably more there. About a month ago, I was riding my atv up to the top of the hill in the back part of the farm and ran up on around 30 hens and younger turkeys.
I'm thinking the results of my more intensive trapping the last several years, along with the logging and habitat improvement have helped a bunch.
10 years ago, you could hardly get a picture of a turkey or hear one gobbling during the spring season. I heard one gobble at daylight on Jan 14th a few hours before i shot my deer and it was 14 degrees.

Reactions: Dafish

· Jenny's Lackey
47,886 Posts
I pulled my traps yesterday. Only caught 4 big boar raccoons and 2 skunks. I think they got distemper around here. I was using good stinky bait and no opossums , I will try it again March 1st.

Hard time of year to catch c00ns in DPs as it's breeding season. Not near as interested in food as other times of the year.

· Registered
3,677 Posts
I've been using mini marshmallows and strawberry syrup for bait in the box traps, but it works well for DPs too.

The only bait I've found so far that is so good you can lick your fingers after baiting the trap. :LOL:

· Addicted Habitat Junkie/Duck Whore
3,881 Posts
I caught a total of 50 (28 c00ns and 22 possums) in 30 days of trapping back from 8/7/22 to 9/7/22. Traps are all pulled right now until duck season ends on 1/31/23 then I'll get back after them. I don't anticipate near that number of catches when I resume as deer cam pics show very few.....maybe 3 or 4 pics a week now.

· Registered
7,446 Posts
I have a water tank and open auger wagon of ground corn barley supplement feeding calves out of . ***** haven’t touched it all winter 🤷‍♂️.
Thankful though .
Might be all the eagles keeping them thinned !

· Registered
4,336 Posts
What are these kill traps I thought conibears had to be in water?

· Registered
3,403 Posts
What are these kill traps I thought conibears had to be in water?
Conibear or Killing-type traps must comply with the following:
  • With a jaw spread greater than 5 inches, may be set underwater, but not in any dry land set
  • With a jaw spread not greater than 8 inches, may be set 6 feet or more above ground level in buildings
We used to use the 120 size conibear style traps in boxes but never did as good as the dog proofs but Henry stacked them up like cordwood with the 120’s a few years ago when he first started trapping.

· Registered
3,403 Posts
Hard time of year to catch c00ns in DPs as it's breeding season. Not near as interested in food as other times of the year.
Pinwheel I had 6 predator sets out also using apple road predator bait and bobcat urine, I only picked up one raccoon and both skunks in them sets. I agree with you that when the boars go to rutting they don’t care as much about good smelling mackerel as they do before and after.

· Registered
3,403 Posts
I have a water tank and open auger wagon of ground corn barley supplement feeding calves out of . * haven’t touched it all winter 🤷‍♂️.
Thankful though .
Might be all the eagles keeping them thinned !
Business should pick up around there soon. I didn’t want to kill them 4 I caught because the hides aren’t worth anything so I gifted them to you!!! Lol

· Registered
3,063 Posts
I like using the conibears but will use mostly my dog proofs when I get going here in a few weeks. I’ve got a couple dozen and I’m setting them all. Blitz those dang vermin before they know what’s happening

Reactions: Dafish and Hooks

· Addicted Habitat Junkie/Duck Whore
3,881 Posts
started yesterday with 14 DP`s.......10 * and 3 skunks this morning
Got my answer on if skunks have the dexterity necessary for a dp......now let's continue the lucky streak and catch none......I have leg holds that still stink from catching skunks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts