How many people think to check

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by Gutpile, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    The sunrise and sunset times before they go out? Official shooting light is 1/2 hour before and after these times. Do you check and remember to check in the field when you can "officially" shoot.

What about legal shooting times in the thickest of crap on a cloudy morning, or the edge of a field just past legal light when their isnt a cloud in the sky and you actually have better light than the previous scenario, or do you just use your best judgement?

Have you ever gotten out of your stand a few minutes early to prevent the situation where deer could come in but not be within shooting range. Then you have to choose either sit until the deer moves off, or getting down and spooking them?
  2. xxx

xxx Guest

AM is my worst time to have to sit and wait..... I moved my stand some years ago just to give me an additional 10 minutes before they got into shooting range.....

3. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    im in my stand hour and half before sun rise. i get there early so if i spook any deer they can settle down. ill take the shot if i can see the deer. i dont have a illumnated sight so it has to be late twilight.
    last bow seaon i woke up early and jammed to a tree i found the day before, i had to saw the branches though. it was twilight and i was about 8 feet in the air cuttin branches with my bow and pack on the ground, i hear foot steps i stop sawing and look behind the tree and its a nice buck lookin up at me. he stared me down for about 3 minutes.when he turned his head i tried my fastest to get my bow. but he just slowly walked off. i could tell how big the rack was cuz he was about 30-40 yards and it was still a little dark. anyway. openin day of rifle. my uncle hunted across the field where i sawed my tree, and he had a huge non typical he said at least 20 points come within 100 yards of him. he put his gun on the vitals and pulled the trigger. "dry fire". his reloads were crap! and the buck took off! talk about gettin screw twice in the same field, probably the same buck.
  4. MoBowman

MoBowman Active Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    I think it all boils down to the ethics of the individual hunter. And those ethics will vary from person to person. I know there have been times when I have heard shots and thought it may be a bit early. But if that big one is standing right in front of ya and clock says 8 min. before shooting time, my watch may be running a bit fast:D

MoBowman ```---------->
  5. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    that reminds me from last turkey season. i was set up waitin for twilight when i heard gun shots they had to be spotlighting birds on roost. noon comes i go where i hear the shots dumba$$ from Lousiana and Mississippi with a few birds. dumba$$ shootin on roost when its dark!
  6. Gutpile

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles

Don't you mean running a little slow?
  7. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    I usually check the times. But given that I prefer to hunt in the woods, I usually am not able to take a safe/ethical shot until after legal shooting time.
  8. MoBowman

MoBowman Active Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Fast in the morning and slow in the evening:peepwall:

MoBowman ```--------->
  9. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    When it comes to waterfowl hunting I always check shooting times and never shoot even a min before legal time. Now when it comes to turkey hunting I might feel that my watch is running a min or 2 slow if the bird is on the ground in front of me.
  10. spm26191

spm26191 New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Mexico, MO
    I hardly ever check the time while hunting. If I can see clearly, I will take a shot.. either with a bow or a rifle. I have passed on many shots where I just could not see well enough to be sure of shot placement. I have sat long after dark before waiting for deer to leave so that I wouldn't attract attention to my stand. Seems like they are a little bolder after it gets dark. I have had them scare the dickens out of me because I didn't know they were there and walked up on them.
  11. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I was put in the situation last year on a state park herd reduction hunt. At about 5 minutes before legal time this buck came by me grunting with his nose to the ground. A few minutes later another hunter shot what I thought was AT him but he actually did hit him. He came back past me and I dropped him. I had put my watch in my back pack and when he came by me the first time I called my buddy on the radio and asked hiim what time it was. I knew it was close but wasn't sure exactly. After I shot the buck I called him back and asked him again. He laughed and asked why it mattered at that point !

Normally when archery hunting legal time is past where I can see my pins anyway excapt for when there's snow on the ground.

Gun season I do look at the times at the same time I look at my GPS for the solunar tables to see the movement times and all that.
  12. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I always check times and am very serious about not shooting before or after legal time. The land I hunt is very close to alot of authorities on the conservation side of things so I am very aware of legal times and won't shoot early or late.
  13. Gutpile

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    I personally wait until I can no longer distinguish one leaf from another, then I know its time for me personally. Now thats, when I am sighting down my sight pin, not with just looking at the ground normally.
  14. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

I always check the sunrise & sunset times, the moon rise & fall, plus the solunar tables, before I head out for a hunt.

And, no matter if it is legal shooting time, if I can't see ~ I don't shoot...that's just common sense. Identify your target...
  15. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    I check the forecast and sunrise/sunset times together at: My-cast .com for good specific location info.
    Pretty simple really, or use the, "if you have adequate light to positively identify the target....ZAP!"
  16. Gutpile

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    The spot I most frequently hunt is between bedding and feeding areas, they tend to not moved through until after sufficient light, and well before dark....I really cant think of a time where I had deer under me without sufficient light.

Now I have had deer on my a little to quick, but that because its hard to drag my ass outta bed sometimes.
  17. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    There's been plenty of times that I've had deer right out in front of me, just before legal shooting time. I could barely make out their silhouettes, but I could see the white hair on their bellies (hunting from a ground blind).

I too hunt the area between bedding areas & food sources, but I'm a bit closer to the bedding areas than I care for. It's a must though, because of the lay of the land. :frown:
  18. northmobigbuck

northmobigbuck New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Carroll County Mo
    I check but I still get out there way to soon!!!!
  19. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I'm with ODF. I hunt in the deep woods so if I can see, it's already after legal shooting time.
  20. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    I check my GPS as it gives me the sunrise and sunset for the Lat/Long that I'm at when I check it------:cheers: