Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

How many of you's guys?

824 views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  netsomnia2 
#1 ·
How many of ya'll practice wit yo bows out of a treestand, or elevated position? I put a 15' ladder stand up in my back yard a few weeks ago, and finally started shootin out of it 2 days ago...Didn't do too bad, a spine hit was my worst arrow evenin before last, but yesterday I got one down in the leg...all da rest of em are in the boiler room, at 10 yds for now. I know, you sight usin guys will give me crap, but i kin take it! I think I'll put the dull broadheads on next week. I have been shooting 5 arrows out of the quiver, but will go to 1 arrow at a time with the Bheads, with 5 shots, I just get to flingin, don't concentrate like I should!!!

#2 ·
since i shoot from the ground 99.9 of the time i don't practice that shot,but it a good one to shoot for sure.i'm with yah on the broadheads,i.m screwing them on right after the jeff city shoot sunday.its getting closer to time for seeing some blood.

#4 ·
I have in the past, I have not recently though. On morning hunts right before i get out of the stand I like to shoot the arrow that I keep tipped with a Field Tip at a leaf on the ground. That helps to keep me in practice.

I have been shooting with BH's for a while. I usually just screw in one, shoot my group and look to see if that one arrow does anything erratic.

GP

#6 ·
Originally posted by Center Punch
I need to do this, just so I know what to expect.

Steve - :thumbs-up:
No doubt about it...back when I shot the compound, there was no difference for me, but with the recurve, I have to bend way over at the waist to keep from shooting high...good practice for either bow!!!

#8 ·
I shoot off my deck also. It to is about 10' foot off the ground. I can get about a 30 yard shot from the deck. Any further and I have to open the gate and shoot from the front yard to the back yard. Can get a little over 40 yards before running out of room. But I only shoot 40 yards tops. I practice 20 to 30 yards for the most part.

#9 ·
I do it. We've got a stand set up in a 'hunting situation'. We shoot multiple targets from multiple ranges, and we also take my Black Hole target, and the person not shooting, throws it to where ever they want, and you have to stick it, no matter the angle.

We've got a PVC pipe on a rope rigged to send the arrows back up to the shooter.

Parker

#10 ·
Originally posted by Parker
I do it. We've got a stand set up in a 'hunting situation'. We shoot multiple targets from multiple ranges, and we also take my Black Hole target, and the person not shooting, throws it to where ever they want, and you have to stick it, no matter the angle.
thats pretty cool, sounds like it would make you
good at range estimation.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Parker

We've got a PVC pipe on a rope rigged to send the arrows back up to the shooter.

Parker
Its a MUST if you plan to hunt at altitude.

#13 ·
Originally posted by pinwheel
Yep, every year. Gonna do it again this year. Hey fireman, next time you're up this way, bring your recurve. I'll get my longbow out & see if I can still hit anything. I'm bettin it'll come back pretty quick.
Sounds like fun!!! I'll be north of Huntsville, right on the macon co. line tomorrow afternoon, but have to head back right after the job is done....but I'm up yo way every week or two......I met a (I think) neighbor of yours up there, works for ConAgra, used to live here in Marshall....Mitch L....owns a farm close to an old country Church I think?

#14 ·
I practice shooting off of my 15' deck most of the time but I also put a fixed stand up that I practice out of. I use an old cheap set of ladder sticks so no kids climb up in it. My next door neighbor and I shoot a lot out of the stand and I think it makes a big difference.

I plan on hunting a lot with the boys in the early season, so I have been practicing a lot shooting through my new Double Bull's net. I have shot my Muzzys and Jak-Hammers through it with no problem or change in arrow flight. My oldest boy (8 yr. old) is going to man the video camera this season, so hopefully we will get some good videos.

I can't wait for the season to open!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.