How many have been told not to hunt their own land?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Rack_Hunter, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

I was just wondering how many of you hands have ever been told not to hunt your own land. specifically land that you have title too, not leased or owned by a relative?

This has happened to me several times, even though some of the land I hunt has been in our family since they got it from the indians. This was much more of a problem before cell phones, now days, I give them 5 seconds before I call the CO. Purple paint or not, it IS tresspassing and with a warning in the past, it is criminal tresspassing. BTW, I have some purple paint up, but I still get tresspassers.

2. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    So trespassers are claiming your land as theirs?

3. Big_Bullseye

Big_Bullseye Honey Badger Phat Sack

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
  4. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I usually get the guy, that says so-n-so gave him permission to hunt here, even though so-n-so hasn't owned land around here for 8 years.:blah:

Seems like a lot of guys feel, if they can throw that excuse out, that they are good to go, even when they know they are trespassing to begin with. Kind a like, If I have a good excuse, I can do whatever I want.:stickfight:

5. Bloodtrail 1

Bloodtrail 1 Grand PooBah

Dec 11, 2007
    Missouri
    That didn't come out real clear. Don't understand what your saying.

6. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1875915&tid=130667&author=BustinBucks]So trespassers are claiming your land as theirs?[/rquote]

That's how I took it....:shrug:

7. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I've seen it when someone buys land, and the guy that hunted it previously thinks he still has rights to it.

8. letemgrow

letemgrow Active Member

I would just have to laugh if they claimed what I bought or inherited as their own....then let them work it out with the CO if they really want to argue. :D

9. Big_Bullseye

Big_Bullseye Honey Badger Phat Sack

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    [rquote=1875928&tid=130667&author=MellerAM]I've seen it when someone buys land, and the guy that hunted it previously thinks he still has rights to it.[/rquote]

I worked with a guy who experienced that. The guy said he had been hunting this land for 25 years and just because my friend now owned it he wasn't planning on stopping. He then walked into the woods to hunt. Cops were called and they came and wrote him and trespassing ticket and made him leave. He was not happy and made some threats but my buddy never heard from him again.

10. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1875928&tid=130667&author=MellerAM]I've seen it when someone buys land, and the guy that hunted it previously thinks he still has rights to it.[/rquote]

Happens ALL the time... And, I think they know they no longer have permission, but as long as they give that as their excuse, they feel like it's ok to trespass.....:stickfight:

11. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I've ran off trespassers from my father in laws place that he had owned for 15 years. They said that they had gotten permission from the previous owner 15 years ago but hadn't hunted it till now. I just asked them to turn around and head back to their truck.

Then there was the time 10 years ago when I was mushroom hunting on my land when I ran across a guy with his two sons. I asked if he had permission to be on this land and he said "Sure do...I asked Dwayne last week if I could hunt for mushrooms and he said it was OK."
    I told him he had crossed Dwaynes property line a hundred yards back up the hill. He said that he thought that Dwayne owned all the land this side of the next neighbors. I told him differently and he apologized and he and the boys went back to Dwaynes property. No harm done and he now knows who owns the land now.

12. letemgrow

letemgrow Active Member

[rquote=1875938&tid=130667&author=Big_Bullseye][rquote=1875928&tid=130667&author=MellerAM]I've seen it when someone buys land, and the guy that hunted it previously thinks he still has rights to it.[/rquote]

I worked with a guy who experienced that. The guy said he had been hunting this land for 25 years and just because my friend now owned it he wasn't planning on stopping. He then walked into the woods to hunt. Cops were called and they came and wrote him and trespassing ticket and made him leave. He was not happy and made some threats but my buddy never heard from him again.

[/rquote]

Seriously?!?! How could someone think that was right in the first place.

13. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    [rquote=1875954&tid=130667&author=Mailman]I've ran off trespassers from my father in laws place that he had owned for 15 years. They said that they had gotten permission from the previous owner 15 years ago but hadn't hunted it till now. I just asked them to turn around and head back to their truck.

Then there was the time 10 years ago when I was mushroom hunting on my land when I ran across a guy with his two sons. I asked if he had permission to be on this land and he said "Sure do...I asked Dwayne last week if I could hunt for mushrooms and he said it was OK."
    I told him he had crossed Dwaynes property line a hundred yards back up the hill. He said that he thought that Dwayne owned all the land this side of the next neighbors. I told him differently and he apologized and he and the boys went back to Dwaynes property. No harm done and he now knows who owns the land now.[/rquote]

I've had that before. Had sole permission and "tell anyone else to leave." Ran into a guy, he pulled out every line in the book. "Isn't this so and so's land" I said no his land ended about a half mile that way. "I've hunted here for years." I said apparently not, cause see that stand over there? That’s mine and I've hunted it for the past 5 years and I think I would have seen your stand hanging 50 yards away. I basically told him to get lost and take his bait (pile of apples) with him. The best part I found out later...HE'S A COP!

14. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    When i tresspass i usually enter along a downed fence or were ther is no signs or paint with in 60 feet of each other and if someone comes up to me i tell them one of there relatives gave me permission to hunt that day, and if i have a deer down i ask them kindly if they will help me drag it to the truck:D

15. WashmoBilly

WashmoBilly Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Columbia MO
    I have asked people who they got permission from and they told me my own name... Some people are really stupid.

I actually had a guy tell me that he saw my no trespassing sign so he drove a little farther down the road and walked in from a different side of the property.:confused:

16. glennasher1

glennasher1 Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY

That happened to me last year. My nephew bought 80 acres from a feller, and told me I could hunt all over it if I liked, but the previous owner was sitting in a stand he's had there for years.
    I think my nephew had a few words with him about things being different this year. Last year he just let him slide. I didn't want to stir anything up, so I just went elsewhere.

17. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    I was told once that I could get shot on my own land. I went any way and this bunch of outlaws started shooting up in the air. They were behind a terrace and I began clipping the top of the terrace. They haven't been back!

18. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    I have been kicked off land that was owned by my family, but being "leased" by someone that lived on the property. A call to my dad's cousin and that resolved it. Later that year, the dufus defaulted on the lease, and my brother bought the property.

Oh yeah, the guy offered to fight me in the field as I was dragging out a deer to settle the matter. I said a few choice words and continued dragging my deer out with him following my every step.

19. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

[rquote=1876077&tid=130667&author=WashmoBilly]I have asked people who they got permission from and they told me my own name... Some people are really stupid.

[/rquote]

I have had that too, one guy told me that him and me were best friends. Bwaahahahahaha

The best one is well, I put some fish in that pond 15 years ago, I usually tell them well, we knew that and caught them all out a few years back.

Some hunters have tried to run me off my farm and some have refused to leave, with a cell phone it is a quick call to the CO.

Some of this land has been in the family for 132 years and noone has had permission to hunt, hard to get confused about that.