How many going to set traps tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Trapping/Furbearing' started by bigjohn, Nov 14, 2010.

1. bigjohn

bigjohn Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Marshall,Mo
    I'm going to set a few coon traps tomorrow.Probably only set a dozen,just to see how prime they are.

2. chuck88

chuck88 New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    well I got the next 2 weeks off, so yep I'm gonna hit coons and muskrats hard. probley end up with a couple grinners also :rof2:

3. beardsNspurs78

beardsNspurs78 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    I'm not gonna set any traps yet. I am gonna take the dog out tho. Opens tonight at midnight but since I have to get up at 330 for work I'll be waitin til Monday night. I cant believe they'd be prime yet with no more cold weather than we've had.....but maybe that dont make a difference. Maybe they start puttin on their winter coat regardless...I dunno. If the fur is prime and lookin good I might set some traps. Prob only be a few live traps for now tho. I'm sure no matter what that the skins will be more prime, and therefore worth more, as the season progresses.

I'm gonna have to get me one of those how to videos that shows how to correctly skin and put those furs up. I've always sold em green but this year am thinkin bout puttin em up. Need to get me some roadkill coons for practicin

4. chuck88

chuck88 New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    its not the temp that primes up a hide but amount of daylight from what I've been told.
    I brought home a fresh roadkill last week and did a drag with my curs and let em chew it up quite a bit. I peeled its back down and scraped some fat off and it wasn't to bad, a little blue but not to bad.

I'm still trying to figure out whether to release the hounds at midnight or sleep all night and stare at empty woods in the morning. anyway about it come monday night my dogs best be ready to run :cheers:

5. beardsNspurs78

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    My dogs gonna run Monday night regardless if he's ready or not (and he prob aint.) Callin for a shower to move through midweek.....that should help with the trackin.

If I didn't have to work tomorrow I'd for sure be turnin loose tonight at the stroke of midnight

6. Lick Skillet

Lick Skillet Member

Jan 10, 2010
    NEMO
    I'm going to give trapping a try this fall. Probably going to live trap for a week and try some cages for muskrats. We really have a lot of rats doing damage to wet land structures. I am sure I will learn a lot the hard way. Best of luck!

7. beardsNspurs78

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
  8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I have traps set out all year. Dang coons get in my shed and tear the place up. Population control don't ya know!

9. chuck88

chuck88 New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    [rquote=1895339&tid=132048&author=Lick Skillet] try some cages for muskrats. ![/rquote]

are you talking live cage traps (Ie havahart) or colony traps. I've never tried cage trapping rats, my best set for rats is a 110 conibear traps in front of muskrat dens. my 2nd best rat set is a pocket set guarded by a 1 or 1 1/2 foothold trap.

10. Lick Skillet

Lick Skillet Member

Jan 10, 2010
    NEMO
    [rquote=1895409&tid=132048&author=chuck88][rquote=1895339&tid=132048&author=Lick Skillet] try some cages for muskrats. ![/rquote]

are you talking live cage traps (Ie havahart) or colony traps. I've never tried cage trapping rats, my best set for rats is a 110 conibear traps in front of muskrat dens. my 2nd best rat set is a pocket set guarded by a 1 or 1 1/2 foothold trap. [/rquote]

Colony trap and 1.5 coil spring. Cage trap for coon around barns.

11. Lick Skillet

Lick Skillet Member

Jan 10, 2010
    NEMO
    [rquote=1895344&tid=132048&author=beardsNspurs78]Hey LS where ya located[/rquote]

Located in Unionville area.

12. 76_michael

76_michael Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Lincoln Co.
    I hope to start trappin next weekend , got to still dip some of mine and a few new traps

13. BowtechIAN

BowtechIAN New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Columbia
    I'm going for rats this year, gonna wait til there is a crusting of ice on the ponds