Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Under appreciated
89,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering... I always thought you couldnt keep it past a year.
Legal question here.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
noy sure but i dont think there is a time any more
used to be july

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
NO longer a limit on posesion of deer meet over laping into new season.

·
Under appreciated
89,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh... thanks.
For some reason I always had one year in my mind as the limit.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
[rquote=1502239&tid=104824&author=rat]Ahhh... thanks.
For some reason I always had one year in my mind as the limit.[/rquote]

nope never nada :rof2:

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Just make the old stuff into jerky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Til trappin season closes......LOL:wave:

·
PURE KILLER
38,020 Posts
[rquote=1502524&tid=104824&author=jhass12]So there use to be a limit as to the length you could keep the meat??????? What was that about???[/rquote]back in the day when they protected the deer:D

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yep used to have to have it eat up by July or you were breakin the law. I freeze mine in as large of chunks possible & it keeps well in heavy one gal. freezer bags. We are still eating on last years venison & usually have enough to last till the next seasons havest.

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
That's nuts, they actually wanted a fella to throw out good meat just so he wouldn't have it over a year. That's a waste.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,040 Posts
[rquote=1502542&tid=104824&author=blevely]That's nuts, they actually wanted a fella to throw out good meat just so he wouldn't have it over a year. That's a waste.

[/rquote]

Pretty sure I read somewhere that red meat was recomended to only be kept for a year. Pork was less & poultry was even less. Just don't remember the actual particulars.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
i thought it was a year too...thanks lb for the helpful imfo...

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,040 Posts
Theoretically, when meat is frozen correctly and maintained at the optimal freezing temperature, it should stay good forever. However, it is hard to guarantee, particularly with home freezing, that the meat will remain safe and of good quality for eating. The following is a list of how long most meats can be frozen and maintain a high quality.

* Bacon or sausage: one to two months
* Ham, hot dogs or cold cuts: two to three months
* Raw roasts, steaks or chops: four to twelve months
* Raw ground meat: three to four months
* Cooked meat: two to three months
* Raw, whole poultry: one to two months
* Raw poultry parts: nine months
* Cooked poultry: four months
* Raw, wild game: eight to twelve months

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
dang it i bet thats why i am so blowted.. we always have meat out of those dates....:wave:

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
[rquote=1502545&tid=104824&author=pinwheel][rquote=1502542&tid=104824&author=blevely]That's nuts, they actually wanted a fella to throw out good meat just so he wouldn't have it over a year. That's a waste.

[/rquote]

Pretty sure I read somewhere that red meat was recomended to only be kept for a year. Pork was less & poultry was even less. Just don't remember the actual particulars.[/rquote]

I was speaking the legal aspects of it they were referring to PW

·
Registered
869 Posts
Heh... Hot dogs only two to three months in the freezer? I'm not sure I buy that. They're pretty much like twinkies. I'd think that creepy hot dogs would last forever in the freezer if the package isn't open...

Seriously though... We package our deer meat in heavy butcher paper and there is no difference between a package two years old and one a couple months old from what Ive been able to tell.

·
Under appreciated
89,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea... I have had stuff that was about 1.5yrs old and it ate just fine as hacienda says.

I was just wondering legally cause I remembered there used to be some limit, just couldnt remember what it was.

I dont have any old stuff... I save and use the good cuts for grilling and make the rest into sausage every february. Keeps the freezer cleaner thataway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts