How late do you hunt

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by ymurf, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    Was wondering how late in the week you guys bow hunt before gun season? I never bow hunt the week before rifle season to let things settle down and get my scent out of the area.I started doing this about three years ago and made one heck of a difference on the deer numbers I see opening weekend.

2. hemi_guy06

hemi_guy06 New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Scott AFB, IL
    i bow hunt and rifle hunt in different locations so i bow hunt all the way to the friday before gun season. then i move to my gun stand and hunt all week long. at least when i am in the country thats what i do. not this year though.

3. 160983

160983 Guest

I moved a stand this afternoon for gun season and wont go back until opening morning. Touching up a ground blind tomorrow and will do the same.

I agree it does seem to help in certain situations/areas.:cheers:

4. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    [rquote=1886753&tid=131446&author=Jusadog]I moved a stand this afternoon for gun season and wont go back until opening morning. Touching up a ground blind tomorrow and will do the same.

I agree it does seem to help in certain situations/areas.:cheers:[/rquote]
    I put my blind out 1 week ago and brushed it in and deer are still weary of it.Hope they get use to it.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    i hunt different stands for bow and gun..i'll be out there thursday morning before work

6. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    I dont have allot of area to hunt and am usually after one particular deer.

7. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Bowhunting locally. Gun hunting in Boone County. No one has hunted then property in Boone COunty since I left it after last gun season. May go in around noon on Friday and tend to a couple of chores at a couple stand sites. Never had a problem come opening morning.

8. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    [rquote=1886794&tid=131446&author=DADAKOTA]Bowhunting locally. Gun hunting in Boone County. No one has hunted then property in Boone COunty since I left it after last gun season. May go in around noon on Friday and tend to a couple of chores at a couple stand sites. Never had a problem come opening morning.[/rquote]
    I would love to hunt a piece of property nobody has been on for a year.

9. 160983

160983 Guest

My "blind" is a pin oak with no competition. The tree limbs create an umbrella of sorts and nearly touch the ground and the leaves are still on the tree. I just need to check on some shooting lanes. I am lucky as it overlooks a highly active treeline.

I have a traditional pop up blind but dont think I will use it this year. It got to the point to keep the deer from noticing it when I brushed it in, I basically built another blind with brush. And my openings stuck out very badly.

Good luck and hopefully they get used to it before sat. morning.:cheers:

10. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1886796&tid=131446&author=ymurf][rquote=1886794&tid=131446&author=DADAKOTA]Bowhunting locally. Gun hunting in Boone County. No one has hunted then property in Boone COunty since I left it after last gun season. May go in around noon on Friday and tend to a couple of chores at a couple stand sites. Never had a problem come opening morning.[/rquote]
    I would love to hunt a piece of property nobody has been on for a year.[/rquote]

believe it or not, i hunted alot of now season on the back 80 acres of the farm where nobody has stepped foot since last rifle season. i saw more deer sitting 50 yards off the driveway where we drive up and down all times of the day, 4 wheeler gets ridden up and down it, dogs run up and down it etc etc etc, than i did sitting where no human has stepped foot for the better part of 8 months

11. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 Member

Nov 2, 2010
    The week prior to gun season is the money week. I hunt as hard as posible during that time. Gun season is secondary to me though. I would rather shoot one at 20 yards than 200.

12. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    [rquote=1886827&tid=131446&author=Jeremy][rquote=1886796&tid=131446&author=ymurf][rquote=1886794&tid=131446&author=DADAKOTA]Bowhunting locally. Gun hunting in Boone County. No one has hunted then property in Boone COunty since I left it after last gun season. May go in around noon on Friday and tend to a couple of chores at a couple stand sites. Never had a problem come opening morning.[/rquote]
    I would love to hunt a piece of property nobody has been on for a year.[/rquote]

believe it or not, i hunted alot of now season on the back 80 acres of the farm where nobody has stepped foot since last rifle season. i saw more deer sitting 50 yards off the driveway where we drive up and down all times of the day, 4 wheeler gets ridden up and down it, dogs run up and down it etc etc etc, than i did sitting where no human has stepped foot for the better part of 8 months[/rquote]
    You must be up north or toward the city.Aint like that around here.

13. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    [rquote=1886841&tid=131446&author=bluetick1897]The week prior to gun season is the money week. I hunt as hard as posible during that time. Gun season is secondary to me though. I would rather shoot one at 20 yards than 200.[/rquote]
    If I didnt have my daughter to take hunting Im right there with you.It wouldnt bother me if they closed gun season and stopped the orange army but thats for another thread.

14. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    If they opened the season from 9/15 to 1/15 for any weapon with a three deer limit or ten deer limit :cheers::cheers:it wouldn't bother me.

15. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1886843&tid=131446&author=ymurf][rquote=1886827&tid=131446&author=Jeremy][rquote=1886796&tid=131446&author=ymurf][rquote=1886794&tid=131446&author=DADAKOTA]Bowhunting locally. Gun hunting in Boone County. No one has hunted then property in Boone COunty since I left it after last gun season. May go in around noon on Friday and tend to a couple of chores at a couple stand sites. Never had a problem come opening morning.[/rquote]

believe it or not, i hunted alot of now season on the back 80 acres of the farm where nobody has stepped foot since last rifle season. i saw more deer sitting 50 yards off the driveway where we drive up and down all times of the day, 4 wheeler gets ridden up and down it, dogs run up and down it etc etc etc, than i did sitting where no human has stepped foot for the better part of 8 months[/rquote]
    You must be up north or toward the city.Aint like that around here.[/rquote]

not even remotely close. middle of nowhere gasconade county, the most traffic this road will see is during rifle season, before and after that..maybe 10-15 cars tops throughout an entire "busy" day on the gravel roads. my drveway is about 4 miles from the nearest paved road, my house is 1 mile up my driveway. couple guys on here know where my house is at...we are way out in the sticks

16. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    [rquote=1886852&tid=131446&author=Jeremy][rquote=1886843&tid=131446&author=ymurf][rquote=1886827&tid=131446&author=Jeremy][rquote=1886796&tid=131446&author=ymurf][rquote=1886794&tid=131446&author=DADAKOTA]Bowhunting locally. Gun hunting in Boone County. No one has hunted then property in Boone COunty since I left it after last gun season. May go in around noon on Friday and tend to a couple of chores at a couple stand sites. Never had a problem come opening morning.[/rquote]

You must be up north or toward the city.Aint like that around here.[/rquote]

not even remotely close. middle of nowhere gasconade county, the most traffic this road will see is during rifle season, before and after that..maybe 10-15 cars tops throughout an entire "busy" day on the gravel roads. my drveway is about 4 miles from the nearest paved road, my house is 1 mile up my driveway. couple guys on here know where my house is at...we are way out in the sticks[/rquote]
    Owensville huh?

17. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    not anymore, about 15 minutes outside of owensville. used to live in town in o-ville...no mo of that sillyness.

18. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    I use to shoot allot of archery tournaments in Owensville.

19. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    you know where stony hill is?

20. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    [rquote=1886885&tid=131446&author=Jeremy]you know where stony hill is?[/rquote]
    I dont think so.