How high

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by BigBen, Nov 5, 2010.

1. BigBen

BigBen New Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Just got A new climber. (Summit Titan) Was wondering just how high up you guys like to get. I know alot of people that go as high as they can but is that really necessary? What do you think is a minimum?

2. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    18 to 20 feet, otherwise I start to get a nose bleed :D

3. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

18-20 feet like MoBowman said. Or whatever you're comfortable with.

4. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Probably 10 feet minimum

I think the average with a climber is around 20ft and I'm sure not going any higher than that!!! The tree starts bending in the wind and scares you back down to 20 feet :D

A lot depends on the tree.
    Sometimes you have to go higher or lower to find a shooting hole. Sometimes you have to go higher or lower to be concealed.
    If there's a knot or a fork, you know you're only going that far up (with your top portion).

5. boatcaptain

boatcaptain Active Member

May 31, 2010
    ELM TREE MO
    What ever you feel comfortable at and what gives you your best visability for the area you are hunting. Its different for every set up.:)

6. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    I like to get at least 20 feet up

7. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    Whatever you are the most comfortable with. The higher the better to get the scent to disperse more before it gets to the ground. Just a hint. Once you figure out what your desired height is, fix yourself up a pull rope to that length. That way as your climbing you can gauge how hi you are. I climbed a tree in the dark one morning, and when the sun came up, I was way too high for comfort.

8. union30

union30 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    union,mo
    I have a 30 foot bow rope tied to the top part of my summit climber so when ever that gets ready to come off the ground or as high as the tree will let me if limbs won't go any higher than my bow rope

9. kodiak1269

kodiak1269 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    pacific
    It really doesnt matter if your 10 feet or 20 feet,. if your in the perfect tree and location, that is all that matters.

Ide rather be in the perfect spot at 10 feet than a bad spot at 20 feet!!

10. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    I always try and get high in my climber because there isn't any cover left on the tree.

11. TheRedPilot

TheRedPilot New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    I look at the terrain first. If I'm gonna be sitting in a dip, I try to get a little higher than normal so the breeze from one side of the dip carries my scent up and out of the dip, otherwise it might pool, as scent does, in the negative pressure area created by the dip. If I'm on a hill, I am more worried about shooting lanes and concealment than anything else. Anything taller than the tallest deer is sufficent enough to be "out of sight" as long as you don't move and don't stank!

12. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    20' minimum, prefer 25+

13. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

with a climber at least 20, but minimum 17. It depends on how comfortable you are with the height, these climbers (Summit) are really comfortable climbers and at any height you will feel really safe in it and comfortable. If there is air movement in the direction I expect deer to come in on me, I like to get higher thinking my scent will blow over the top of them.:eek::

14. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I go as high as I can get. Once I left my climber and climbed another 15', it left me about 40' off the ground.

15. leasburg

leasburg New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    30 with a gun 25 with a bow