How Fast Will They Grow?

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by oneshot 1, May 25, 2009.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    We put 6-8 inch Channel Cats in my Sons pond,he has been putting the Feed to them.I went down there today looks like they are sure growing.Should they be Big enough by Fall to fry up a few?

oneshot
    :D Heck their Big Grin size already.

2. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    Probally will be 1 1/2 - 2 lds by fall If you keep feeding them:cheers:

3. Bajacoop

Bajacoop Senior Member

Apr 6, 2009
    SouthEast Missouri
    I think that may be a bit optimistic.

We stocked a lot of channels in a good sized pond and it took quite awile before they got to eater size.

4. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    I've always been told bout a pound a year........ But I have never caught the same fish twice to verify that statement.... :cheers::cheers::claphands::claphands::peepwall:

5. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I doubt you will get them to grow much more than an inch in length per month. So if they are 7 inches now, you would be doing good to have them at a foot long by October. A foot long cat isn't going to get my appetite up even if he/she has a gut. Should be ready for the fryin pan by spring or shortly after if you keep feeding them though.

Good luck. :cheers:

6. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    I'm going off of what folks who raise catfish and sell and farmers markets say. If you put the feed to them I beleive they will grow a little faster, but I guess that would depend on who many other fish are fighting for the same food:shrug::cheers:

7. mobiggerbucks

mobiggerbucks New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    lake of the ozarks
    Best case , feeding them every day , as much as the want........2 lbs ..........