Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been working up some loads this morning and was just wondering how far you all take reloading . I have people ask me why I go to such extreme ? I always tell them that I want to find the best load for my rifle or pistol and get the smallest group that it will print on paper . I always sort my brass first , then I will size my brass , then cut , I also recut my brass after it has been shot to keep everything the same .I always champer and square up the primmer pockets ,I always like for everything to be the same , some people beleive that my brass life won't last as long , but this seem's to work for me . There is so many variables in reloading I think that why I like doing it so much because there is always room for improvement I know that bench rest shooters go to extreme, more than I do . But was just wondering how extreme you all go

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I have a friend that does all my reloading and he takes it to the extreme!! Way beyond my knowledge of it fer sure. He loads all my predator loads for me and they are outstanding!!! He and I are getting ready to Ackley improve my .243. Can't Wait!! On another note he has a custom .300 Win Mag and takes his loading of it very seriously. Made custom loads sent the info off to Leopuld to have Target Turrets installed to his specific gun and load. I've seen him hit out to 1000yds. w/ it before. AMAZING!!

·
Registered
70,367 Posts
Same here guy.....might be to the extreme to some but to me...no where near perfect by all means but if I can get three bullets touching at 100 yards it is perfect enough for me.....but I still try to tighten those up if possible. Probably the training I received in the Army when I was being prepared to go to Viet Nam....as the saying goes....."One Shot ....One Kill" When at War you don't want to give your target a chance at getting a shot back at you. Sounds a bit overboard compared to deer hunting but I would rather be accurate more than lucky.

·
Registered
70,367 Posts
[rquote=1535052&tid=106952&author=greenheadsmoker]How many times can you reload the same brass?[/rquote]

Depends on whether or not the brass is full length or neck sized plus the load shot in it. A neck sized brass will reload more times than one that is full length sized. The load shot in it will make a difference too. A hot load will blow out the shell quicker than one more similar to a factory load or lighter. I neck size all of my shells and get 5 to 8 per reloads per case but that varies between brass companies too. I like using Remington but Winchester works good also. I completely inspect each round shot between loadings just to make sure there are no cracks or imperfections on or in the case.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also forgot to say that I also weigh each and evey powder charge , It does take longer to do that but it is all about being consiant. There is one caliber that I have spent alot of time with and you have to make sure everything is right , and make sure your powder charge is perfect and that is the .17 Rem . It is one of the funnest to play with , but the one you need to watch because of the pressure's . I just wish I had so much more time to do more reloading , and it's not for everybody

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
I have only been reloading for about a year and a half and I really enjoy it. Anyone that knows me knows that any hobby or task I take on I don't do it half way. I learn new things about reloading every time I do it and I pick up little tips and tricks here and there. I am pretty anal on brass preparations and do everything you are supposed to do in that respect. Also I bit the bullet and I bought a higher end powder thrower in order to increase productivity while at the same time not sacrificing any accuracy. I still spot check and weigh a couple charges throughout the process but so far with this new thrower I have not been off at all. It just took way to long just using my digital thrower and filling one at a time.

I have tried some of the pre-sorted by weight, pre-prepped higher end brass lately and I can tell you that I was really impressed with the Nosler custom and Lapua brass offerings (especially the Nosler custom). For the first load on that brass it saved a bunch of time and really made some fine looking and fine shooting ammo....... And it seems to be of a higher quality and should last for more loadings we'll see. I didn't buy alot of it, just enough to check it out...

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beleive this far as Brass goes I have real good luck with Federal , it is a harder brass , but I have loaded some 30/06 Fed. brass 10+ times , Rem brass is soft and like it , Win is hard , but I don't care for it . I have never used lapua before I'm sure it is good ,

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
I'm just getting started so taking my time and trying to follow advice and books to keep things consistent. My 338-06 brass is Norma. Heard good about them too.

On another note, what does annealing help do and is it necessary for any specific cartridges?

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Another thign that adds life/number of uses you get out of brass is how well you take care of it at the range. Ie if you step on it it takes more to straighten it out. If a Auto laoder if on eject the mouth gets deformed it takes preshure to refrom it.

I like relaoding becuase it gives me something to do in adition to letting me control every facet of the making of the round. I waigh all powder charges. I measher eash case clean each primer pocket in and out each time. On guns that have same caliber i ahve brass sets for each gun.

·
1,479 Posts
[rquote=1535102&tid=106952&author=macon county boy]i believe lapua is the best brass out there but that comes with a price that most guys wont pay for but i will im an freak when it comes to accurracy[/rquote]

Don't forget Norma, if I ever did match shooting I would only use those two brands of casings, for now 300 yards is a long shot for me and MOA - 1.5 MOA accuracy works for me since I haven't needed much tighter of a group.

Also, on an additional note, why do the Scandinavian countries have the market in performance ammunition and ammunition casings cornered?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
For 300 yard hunting ammo and 45-70 trapdoor rounds, I trickle each charge.

Handgun hunting ammo, I weigh the 1st, 5th, 10th......20th..

Blasting ammo, 9mm, 45, 38, I weigh the first and last case on each 50 round tray. I also visually inspect for double charges.

223, 30-30, plinking ammo I weigh the 1st, 5th,10th, 20th, 50th.

This hobby lets you get as @$%# as you want.......:whistle:

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
[rquote=1535738&tid=106952&author=wolfgang][rquote=1535102&tid=106952&author=macon county boy]i believe lapua is the best brass out there but that comes with a price that most guys wont pay for but i will im an freak when it comes to accurracy[/rquote]

Don't forget Norma, if I ever did match shooting I would only use those two brands of casings, for now 300 yards is a long shot for me and MOA - 1.5 MOA accuracy works for me since I haven't needed much tighter of a group.

Also, on an additional note, why do the Scandinavian countries have the market in performance ammunition and ammunition casings cornered?[/rquote]

U.S. has more market share than Europe on performance ammo. Nosler, Swift, Sierra, Barnes, Hornday and Speer all make great bullets and those bullets can be found in factory ammo. Then if I remember correctly a lot of the long range guys like the Bergers also.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bergers bullets are great bullets , although they cost alot , they shoot great , they really shoot good in the .17 Rem

·
1,479 Posts
[rquote=1536290&tid=106952&author=Heeler75][rquote=1535738&tid=106952&author=wolfgang][rquote=1535102&tid=106952&author=macon county boy]i believe lapua is the best brass out there but that comes with a price that most guys wont pay for but i will im an freak when it comes to accurracy[/rquote]

Also, on an additional note, why do the Scandinavian countries have the market in performance ammunition and ammunition casings cornered?[/rquote]

U.S. has more market share than Europe on performance ammo. Nosler, Swift, Sierra, Barnes, Hornday and Speer all make great bullets and those bullets can be found in factory ammo. Then if I remember correctly a lot of the long range guys like the Bergers also.

:cheers: [/rquote]

If you shoot a metric chambering (6.5x55mm, 7x57mm, 7.92x57mm, 9.3x62mm, 9.3x64mm, 9.2x74mmR etc.) Norma and Lapua are supposed to be the best for meeting specs for the cartridge than US manufacturers. If I would shoot a match metric caliber I would use their ammunition over most US, also I don't care for Nosler, Sierra, Barnes (especially them), Berger, or Swift bullets. Hornady makes bullets that I prefer as far as construction, and Speer makes a good fall back to Hotnady and .358 wadcutters that I like more than Hornady's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.