how do you tell the difference between these

Discussion in 'Bow Fishing' started by Pastor, May 23, 2009.

1. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    spotted gar and an aligator gar
    [​IMG]

2. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    the easiest way to tell a gator gar is they have two rows of teeth

it is very very very unlikely you will find any gator gar in MO

its my understanding they were pretty much gone from missouri waters
    there was a big one killed on the mississippi in some flood water a few years ago and i am pretty sure there has been some attempt to restock them in some of the swamp lands in SE MO other than that your not going to have to worry about finding them in MO

most of what you shoot in MO will be short nose or long nose gar.

3. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    Good because I was told the the aligator gar was protected and I did not want to make a mistake.

4. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
  5. they all look the same to me

6. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    [rquote=1273259&tid=89140&author=greenheadsmoker613]they all look the same to me [/rquote]

Me too........ ALL UGLY......... :rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2:

Seriously though......... they any good to eat??????

Just sayin............ :claphands::claphands:

7. Squatch

Squatch New Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Barnhart, Mo
    definitely good to eat MRB.

Pastor, do a search on the web for alligator gar, it's pretty easy to distinguish between the two. The only place I know of that has tried to restock the gator gar is down around the Mingo refuge in SEMO.

8. BILLYGOAT

BILLYGOAT New Member

i ate it once down south and it was really good.i just dont wanna go through the hassle of cleaning em

9. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    [rquote=1273254&tid=89140&author=huntforfunnfood]http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2003/01/40.htm

here check this out it is old written in 2003 but still good info[/rquote]

that was a good read.

10. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Ya what you got there are short nose, some of them bigger ones are about as big as you usally see, when you see one you think is a gator it's prolly just a big longnose

11. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    [rquote=1273287&tid=89140&author=Squatch]definitely good to eat MRB.

Pastor, do a search on the web for alligator gar, it's pretty easy to distinguish between the two. The only place I know of that has tried to restock the gator gar is down around the Mingo refuge in SEMO.[/rquote]

I realy like them. After a couple I got beter at cleaning them. A pair of tin snips make things a lot easier.

12. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    [rquote=1273644&tid=89140&author=fishshooter]Ya what you got there are short nose, some of them bigger ones are about as big as you usally see, when you see one you think is a gator it's prolly just a big longnose[/rquote]

we seen one about five foot and it was probably a longnose but most we seen looked just like the ones we shot.

13. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    [rquote=1273647&tid=89140&author=Pastor][rquote=1273644&tid=89140&author=fishshooter]Ya what you got there are short nose, some of them bigger ones are about as big as you usally see, when you see one you think is a gator it's prolly just a big longnose[/rquote]

we seen one about five foot and it was probably a longnose but most we seen looked just like the ones we shot.[/rquote]

I'd say so, get an arrow in him and he'll take ya for a ride, and about as good a eating as your gonna stick an arrow in :rock:

14. kgdog

kgdog Senior Member

Gator gars are legal ...non game fish category

15. SHORTSHOT

SHORTSHOT Active Member

Feb 24, 2009
    KANSAS CITY
    I HEAR THAT THEY ARE GOOD TO EAT BUT APAIN TO CLEAN.

16. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

Oct 16, 2003
    Lonedell Missouri
    THE MDC has been restocking alligatorgar in some lakes and rivers around here....