How do YOU FIND deer?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Vector, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I was just thinking about my style of finding deer today, and I was wondering if folks did similar stuff.

My dad always taught me to 'look for parts of deer'.

I started with that, and now I first look for movement (especially white movement), and then horizontal lines that seem out of place.

Once I find those spots, then I start to ID them. If they look like a deer, and I am not standing yet, I will stand. Either way, I get my feet positioned and get ready.

:shrug: What does everyone else do? I may over-analyze what I'm looking for, but that's just me. Always trying to make things harder than what they are. :D

Parker

2. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

It all depends on the areas I am hunting. If I'm hunting over CRP I'm looking for ears, flickin tails, and perhaps their back's outline.

If I'm hunting over clover I look for their body:D:claphands::D

If I'm hunting timber I just focus on movement and sometimes sound (if tree rats aren't too bad)...

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    My dad was the same way Vince, he always said the twitch of an ear, the flick of a tail.... shape of a leg etc etc etc. Once you train your brain to ID shapes like that, it's amazing how fast your peripheral vision will pick out those shapes when you aren't really "looking".

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    For me its gotta be movement and off-colors like white.

Two weeks ago I spotted a deer moving into an open area from some 3ft weeds... ALL I saw at first was ears or they may have been in the open before I even saw them. I happend to be lookin in that exact spot at that exact time so I got lucky.
    Most of the time, I hear movement before I see it if its in the timber.

5. Remington 338

Remington 338 New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Grandpa always said if you look for a rabbit instead of a cow you'll see alot more deer.

6. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1880255&tid=130947&author=vernoncohunter]Grandpa always said if you look for a rabbit instead of a cow you'll see alot more deer.[/rquote]

:2thumbsup: OH I'M SO GONNA SAVE THAT ONE! :D

Parker

7. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

[rquote=1880255&tid=130947&author=vernoncohunter]Grandpa always said if you look for a rabbit instead of a cow you'll see alot more deer.[/rquote]

That makes sense...

:welcome: to MWT:wave:

8. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :2thumbsup: Cool first post! Welcome to the show!

Parker

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005

:bowing::bowing:

10. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO

Grandpa was obviously wise beyond his years. I love that:claphands: saying!

11. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    I guess it would be movement that triggers most of my sightings. Most of the time that I see one I'm either like "whoa! how did I not see that deer sooner" or "whoa! how in the heck did I see that deer."

12. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I spend time focusing on the spaces between visual obstructions like trees hillsides tall weeds....watching for changes and for the lines, angles, curves, flickers mentioned above.. A lot of the time the first thing I notice isn't the deer but the fact that the space between those two trees was open before and is blocked now. I get fooled by shadows sometimes and as the sun's position changes in the sky a new gap will "open up" and an old gap will appear to "close"

13. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I look for anything out of order, just like I do in my neighborhood.:D

I agree with the rest.

14. Remington 338

Remington 338 New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome. It might have been dad that said that, I know it was one of them. This might be only my second post but I have been lurking on here for a couple of years now. Great site by the way.

15. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    I was taught to use "soft eyes." Never focus on specific areas (hard eyes), but rather use your entire visual areas including all of your peripheral vision. It helps pick up the small movements and changes in a much larger viewing area.

16. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    Any movement and I use my ears a lot too. Especially in low light, I listen to anything that sounds like walking.

17. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Look for movement where none is supposed to be.

18. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

they normally find me while Im sitting in the stand, I ain't going looking for them.....:whistle:

19. Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    I look through the forest instead of at it. I then look for horizontal lines, anything out of place, of course movement and then noises last.

My favorite spot is the edge af crop field late day. Then of course you just see em.

Good Question

[file]146018[/file]

20. Rifleman

Rifleman Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I was always told to look for movement too.
    I am horrible at spotting deer though. I can only see out of one eye which really effects my peripheral vision. Fortunately, I am usually hunting with one of my kids and they are better than I am at spotting deer.
    I can't tell you how many times I thought I had a good vantage point only to notice deer "magically" appear out in the middle of the field.