Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I've got to figure out how to dead set a trotline in a lake.

There's a spot I want to be, but its crappie fishing heaven during the day time (the flats come in there at night to feed on the crappie), so I'm gonna have to get my lines down deep, with nothing showing up top, and no way to pull the line back up without a major drag rope and hook.

I'm guessing fishshooter will have an idea?

I just can't figure out how to get the line tight. Its going to have to be a system of weights and half water-filled jugs, right?

The first end that goes down has to be REALLY, REALLY heavy so you can set the rest of the line without it moving?

:confused: I can't quite figure it out, and I sure don't want to lose a bunch of equipment 'testing'. :whiteflag:

Parker

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
first end maybe not really heavy but maybe an anchor of some sort?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
a 2 1/2gallon bucket filled with concrete with a hoop in it to hook your line too works great and youll have a handle to hold on too

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Scuba gear!!! Go down and set a good stake in the muck....lol!!!:D:wave:

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
[rquote=1493410&tid=104287&author=FiremanBrad]Scuba gear!!! Go down and set a good stake in the muck....lol!!!:D:wave:[/rquote]

now your thinking, I seriously wouldnt know how to do it, to gaurntee you are able to retrieve it. Seems like it would need at least some type of leader tied to a fixed point. Is there trees in the area? maybe you could tie a retrieve leader under the water to a tree? somthing that was weighted on bottom where it attaches to the line, that way it would run straight down along side the stump. I dunno?:shrug:

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Dynamite fishing:claphands::claphands:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,947 Posts
[rquote=1493410&tid=104287&author=FiremanBrad]Scuba gear!!! Go down and set a good stake in the muck....lol!!!:D:wave:[/rquote]

$200 an hour, and I'm your man.....:rof2::rof2::rof2:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Meller,

Commercial fishermen do it all the time in the big rivers with their nets. Some run leads to the shore, most don't. I'm not going to tell you they don't lose any nets, but they lose few enough to still make it profitable for them.

The problem I have with running a lead to a stump is someone finding it. If they find that lead, I might as well put a floating gallon jug out there. :shrug:

I'm talking like 100 pounds of total weight on the line. I am expecting to catch a big fish there, and I'm not planning on losing it once its hooked. :cheers:

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[rquote=1493406&tid=104287&author=Hunter71]a 2 1/2gallon bucket filled with concrete with a hoop in it to hook your line too works great and youll have a handle to hold on too[/rquote]

Actually HOW to go about setting it, checking it, and resetting it is what I'm trying to figure out though.

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1493942&tid=104287&author=callaojoe][rquote=1493410&tid=104287&author=FiremanBrad]Scuba gear!!! Go down and set a good stake in the muck....lol!!!:D:wave:[/rquote]

$200 an hour, and I'm your man.....:rof2::rof2::rof2:[/rquote]

:D I may just hold my breathe and have someone hold my feet while I put an end around a stump. :cheers: (Only kind of kidding).

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:whistle: Coyotehunter got anything on this?

Parker

·
King of Callaway
42,812 Posts
U2U, (I ain't giving Hannibal or Cummins anymore info than is essential) :rules:

·
PURE KILLER
38,019 Posts
i don't have anything,:Dexcept get there real early and run it before anybody gets there.them dang crappie fisherman are always looking for a real fish:mad2:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,037 Posts
Why not run a line into the bank & camoflauge it where's it's not overly visible? I don't think it would be that tough to hide a line in. Put weights on the main line just a few feet off the bank to submerge the main line.

·
10,944 Posts
you aint got nothin i need to know Fish boy.....:D:D:D:D......Parks are you talkin about that one spot on MTL or your other place?????

·
King of Callaway
42,812 Posts
[rquote=1496468&tid=104287&author=pinwheel]Why not run a line into the bank & camoflauge it where's it's not overly visible? I don't think it would be that tough to hide a line in. Put weights on the main line just a few feet off the bank to submerge the main line.[/rquote]

You get fishermen out there and they snag the line if they can get it up they will run it, better to keep it all underwater

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[rquote=1496470&tid=104287&author=fishshooter][rquote=1496468&tid=104287&author=pinwheel]Why not run a line into the bank & camoflauge it where's it's not overly visible? I don't think it would be that tough to hide a line in. Put weights on the main line just a few feet off the bank to submerge the main line.[/rquote]

You get fishermen out there and they snag the line if they can get it up they will run it, better to keep it all underwater [/rquote]

:cheers:

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:cheers: :whistle: Thanks for the information fishy!

THREAD CLOSED! :D

Parker

1 - 20 of 41 Posts