how do you choose land?

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by bigredhusker, Feb 10, 2006.

1. bigredhusker

bigredhusker Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Liberty Missouri
    I'm looking for 40-80 acres near Cameron. How do you go about selecting a property? I'm also NEW to deer hunting and want this property to be used for deer, quail, etc... I'm guessing I want the most timber I can get? water or a creek, etc.? any thoughts or what to look for? use beginner terms.. thanks

2. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Well if I was looking to buy property I would definatly want a creek running throught the place, along with a small lake.

With you mentioning that you would like to have a good habitat for quail I would think that a 75% woods, and 25% fields (crp maybe?) would be a good fit for you. I would also like a place that had a ridge running through it: deer!

I'm sure there are plenty of others on here that have a more detailed and insightful view for you...
    Good luck on your land search!

Just be sure to check out the place, and I mean all of it before you buy. And also try to see about the neibors...

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Where do I begin....all of what Lefty said and a few more... like the surrounding property. It should be similar to what you want. Like mostly wooded. No turkey, chicken or hog producers up wind of your place or even up stream either. No super hiway close. If you have plans for a pond or lake be sure to check out the possibilities with the professionals. If you want to hunt deer are there plenty on the surrounding properties. Same thing for quail or any other game. Check out your neighboring properties. Are the fences in good repair? You may discover on opening morning of deer season you have an orange clad hunter every 100 yards along your fence line. A friend of mine bought some acreage that borders some Conservation Land and thought it would be great to have all that land to hunt on. Most of the time it worked ok for him until rifle deer season comes around. He spend half his time running off trespassers off his land. I'm sure I'll come up with a few more later. Good Luck and don't get in a hurry. That perfect place is out there somewhere.

4. northmobigbuck

northmobigbuck New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Carroll County Mo
    Well I know they are a lot for sale around here around chillicothe but I am sure u are going to pay a arm and leg for it

5. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Check the neighbors out before jumping in to anything, they can really dictate what you get to hunt, Refer to oneshot-1 post

6. bigredhusker

bigredhusker Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Liberty Missouri
    Thanks!!! I'm trying to pull the trigger soon.... For those that use google.earth or some other map software .. what do you think of this area? i'm look at 65 acres near this... When we went by it the other day three deer hanging around...

N 39 38 51
    W 94 29 21

Here's what it had...
    Creek
    Surrounding land - seems to be close to this land
    Mostly wooded...
    I didn't see any turkey, chicken or hog producers
    No super hiway close
    Small pond
    Some pasture for quail

7. PFR

PFR New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    One unavoidable problem with owning land (unless you have enough $$$$ to buy thousands of acres in one tract) is that you can buy a piece with the perfect surroundings now but which may completely change for the worse in a few years down the road. There seems to always be neigbors having grand ideas of clearing their land or building houses within 50 feet of your favorite deerstand. Or, high-ways get relocated out of nowhere. Even something like the MDC aquiring neighboring land would suck. Amazing how a 200 acre piece of land that had hardly been hunted for years could be overwhelmed by the masses.......and yes it will greatly affect the quality of hunting on your land even if the folks using it respect the property lines.

Mailman..... so what if any steps has MDC done to attempt to keep the folks using their land off his property? I am just curious as to what responsiblity they have in this case. I really feel for the people who have land bordering land that MDC aquires after they have theirs. They brag about all the new public hunting opportunity but what they fail to mention is how it screws the people that were already there.

8. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In addition to what others have said. For hunting it really helps to have some tillable ground for some row crops and/or food plots. Differing types of woods is also good, some thick & brushy, some more open - is good.

As mentioned, the surrounding land is as much or more important than what the 40-80 acres you would be looking at for small tract hunting.

9. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Big red, is the property somewhat west of Watkins State Park? If so, it did not look like it had much wooded area to me, mostly just pasture. If this is mostly wooded, maybe I had the wrong spot. Could you post the aerial photo?

10. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    bigredhusker,

Ditto on what everyone else said. The only thing I have to add is it needs to be tried and tested for several years before you start hunting on it. I would happily volunteer my services to hunt it in the meantime to make sure you bought good property. Welcome to the site!

11. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Same here!!!

12. bigredhusker

bigredhusker Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Liberty Missouri
    thanks for all of the tips..

I went out and looked at this land... well.. you can't always trust google.earth on what the land will look like... you know shi>> rolls downhill, and the property owner on the ridge had filled the ditches with his runoff trash.. NICE>.. did see a nice buck and two does... but this one is a pass.. the Hunt for land continues...