Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting into relaoding for a while now. Those of you out there who are into in how did you get started? Did you attend a class? If so where? Did you learn from books? Which ones? Are you self taught? Do you still have all of your fingers?

:pop:

·
19,583 Posts
Read a lot of books, and received instruction from knowledgable members on the board.

I haven't reloaded a lot, but what I have, has been a great experience all around.

I had a custom barrel made for my Encore, and of course, it was a wildcat round, so I had no other choice but to learn reloading.

And, Yes ~ I still have all my digits... :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by igor
grew up doing it.
whatca wantin to do, shotguns, or centerfire.
I'm wanting to learn how to reload centerfire.

I like to shoot skeet so I already reload shotgun shells (20 gague) I use a hornady station loader for this. It is a fairly strait forward and easy process. However, I'm under the impression that there is a little more science involved in reloading centerfire rounds.

--chairman, which book did you find most helpful?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Chairman

I had a custom barrel made for my Encore, and of course, it was a wildcat round, so I had no other choice but to learn reloading.
What is your encore barrel chambered for?

I have an encore. However, the only barrel i currently have is a M/L .45. I have been thinking of getting another barrel or two for it (centerfire). I'm a little concerned about accuracy. What has been your expierience? Have you had to have any additional modifications done to your encore (particularly with the pin?

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
First, buy a couple of good reloading manuals, Lyman's isn't pricey, and the Speer manual. I don't use EITHER of those for data, but their instructions for beginners is top notch, with lots of pictures to help. Don't even look at the data, it isn't even there. Read and re-read the instructions until you understand them thoroughly, then you'll know what kind of tools you want to buy. That's the easy part, then locate someone who KNOWS his way around a reloading outfit, and get him to help out for awhile. It isn't just loading recipes out of a manual, that's part of it, but you really have to know and understand pressure signs and how to avoid that kind of trouble.
The mechanics aren't difficult, at all, but the smarts to avoid MAXIMUM loads all the time, that doesn't come easy. Newcomers always want to run 'em balls to the walls, and that just isn't smart. A few extra FPS isn't worth scattering a good rifle across the shooting bench. An RCBS Rockchucker Kit is probably the smart money to get started.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
i'll ad a bit to that.
maximum loads are not always the most accurate.
don't , mix and match cases or primers.
keep your reloading area organized.
digital scales are not "all that".
case prep is very important, you can gain a lot of accuracy.
start low and work up, watching for signs of high pressure.
glennasher knows a lot more than i do.
listen to him you won't be steered wrong.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I'm pretty much self taught. Was saving my nickles to buy a press when a local benchloader decided to sell out. I got more than what I needed including a nice bench and traded and sold around til I had the set-up I wanted. Took about 6 months of study til I was confident enough to try some loads.

·
19,583 Posts
Originally posted by danceswithbooze

--chairman, which book did you find most helpful?

Originally posted by Chairman

What is your encore barrel chambered for?

I'm a little concerned about accuracy. What has been your expierience? Have you had to have any additional modifications done to your encore (particularly with the pin?
DWB ~ Like someone has already stated, I read different reloading manuals too. There's a ton of information for beginners.

My Encore's custom barrel is chambered in 6mm-.250 (22-250 case, necked up). I had it made by Virgin Valley Custom Guns.

I've learned that the better my case prep is, the better the accuracy of the round.

The only modification of the Encore's frame, was installing a larger hinge pin (locks up much tighter = improved accuracy). I have the supplies for a trigger job (to lower the trigger pull to 3lbs., and stones to smooth out the action), but I haven't taken the time to do it yet. I bought the over-sized hinge pin & trigger job supplies from a guy named Mike Bellm.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
are you deburring the primer pocket, and turning the neck yet?
benchrest guys swear by it. seen some good accuracy gains by
turning down the neck, and benchrest primers also.

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
Neck Turning isn't really necessary for factory rifles, they just aren't "good enough" for it to work well, the tolerances are too great for much improvement. BR primers, on the other hand, are a bit better than the regular types, according to two rifles I have, anyway:D. My suggestion is not to waste time turning necks unless you have a custom rig built to Br specs. You'e probably better off just shooting and getting your techniques better than fooling with neck turning on a stock rifle.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
have to disagree with ya , been there, saw the results.
factory .223 shooting almost same hole at 100. before
anything was done shooting 1/2.
i'm not saying you are wrong glenn but the results speak for
themselves.

·
Registered
70,598 Posts
I reloaded a little back in the early 70's but was taught by a friend to load one and only one load just for my own rifle for deer hunting. Since then just this last year I decided to start again. I bought a RCBS Rockchucker kit from Cabelas and read the Speer manual that it came with. I started asking questions on this site and on Jessee's hunting.com in the reloading sections. There are a handful of knowledgable guys online that know their stuff. I also picked up a couple of other newer reloading books on Ebay fairly cheap and read those. Just remember that there is no dumb questions. It can become an obsession if you let it. I have so far reloaded for my .243, 30-06, .308 and .270 and I also load shells for my 20 and 12 gauge shotguns. The main thing is if you have a question don't be afraid to ask. Good Luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ask

From a famous quote (Stupid is as stupid does) a Veteran reloader will never critize you, so ask, we all learned by asking. Reloading is very rewarding, but can also be very dangerous. Read several reloading manuels. if you recieve a reccomended load from someone refer to your manuel to make sure the load is safe. The person who gave you the load may have given you a typo by mistake, not intentional. When I started reloading 40 some years ago factory ammo was very reasonable then, so reloading was done more for the tailer making of loads that shot very well in your rifle. Now it is about the same, but with a cost factor as one of the reasons. But still the main objective is the accuracy of hand loads. So ask all the questions you have. Lou

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
I learned from an old friend back in the 1960s. He passed on and so I started reloading with another buddy who passed away in 2002. Pretty much sold all my stuff and no longer do much reloading. But buy as many manuals as you can afford and read them from front to back. Lyman, Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Hodgdon and Nosler to name a few. Just rememebr SAFETY first in all of the reloading sequences.

Jack

·
Under appreciated
92,533 Posts
Cant help ya..

All I do is punch out trap rounds with my mec600jr.. I really enjoy it though.
I would like to get into c-fire re-loading one day but I dont get enough bench
time to make it worth my while.

Folks that have replied above are as gooda references as you can get. :)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well--I just took the first step and ordered a Lyman reloading manual. I'll give it a good read before proceeding. I'm sure that I'll be perstering all of you soon enought though. Thanks for all of the help thus far! Can't wait to fire of my first "homemade" round.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.