Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have discussed QDM, AR's, and baiting. So what do you think of this one?

In WI where I'm origanally from it's legal to group hunt during the gun season. That is you are able to fill another hunters tag for him if he allows you to before hand. The law is stated something like this:

"One hunter can fill another hunters deer tag as long as the other hunter has a valid, unused tag for the type of deer killed and is in voice or visual contact with the first hunter without the use of an electronical or mechanical amplifying device other than a hearing aid. Temporary loss of contact due to terrain or weather conditions is acceptable but the hunter who killed the deer may not leave the deer unattended until it is legally tagged. A hunter is attending a deer if he can see the deer. To be a legal hunting group all hunters must be present and hunting togather in the same area."

That is the other hunter must at least be in shouting distance from you and walkie-talkie's, cel phones, or CB's aren't allowed. When the DNR passed this law they said something like: "Almost everyone is doing it anyway. We're just making it legal and hoping it will increase the deer harvest."

Personally, I have no problem with this as long as the law is followed but, what's your opinion?

·
White Board Man
14,373 Posts
If it's legal in that area than so be it, I can't say I would or would not use this method without actually being in the situation.

I bet there alot of wives and kids that don't hunt buying tags though. And prolly some hurt feelings and sore noses from guys already having used their tag and shooting a buck and telling their buddy to give up theirs.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,681 Posts
Been a part of it in years past myself. Can't say I've really got a problem with it so long as the deer are tagged.

Last year, I had the oppritunity to do it & passed. I had already arrowed my buck on Monday. On thursday, I had a very nice 8 within 30 yds broadside. I told myself no, no, no. Man it was tough, but I done it. Then the sucker circles me & walked into another window 25 yds away & I had to fight my conscinece again. The 2 little guys on my shoulders were really having it out though.

The guy I bought my property from still owns some ground connecting mine & told me he wasn't going to use his tag & that I could fill it.

·
PURE KILLER
38,011 Posts
well actually if it is the law thats fine,but idon't want anybody shooting my deer for me.that would be hard to live down:)

·
Former Chicken Man
20,385 Posts
I think party hunting is a great idea. I know some guys who Iowa, where that's legal, and I wish it was here too.
You'd have to know what your hunting partners expect first, but that wouldn't be a big deal. I've hunted in situations where we could have come out with several more deer if we had party hunting in Missouri. :eek:

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think it is a little odd.

So if I want to take, let say my wife who don't like to hunt but she has a tag & i've already tagged out & she is setting right beside me I can shoot the deer for her.

2nd thought it is a great idea I can have another chance at another buck.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I have a question,whats the differance between this and when you here that some one used a farmers farm tag,is that even legal,or is a farm tag something above and beyond regular tags

I am kind of on the fence with this one due to it seems to open up a lot loop holes that unethical hunters might take advantage of

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
just to clear the air here
In MISSOURI this is ILLEGAL farm tag normal tag what ever you are allowed one to kill your own animals no matter how many other tags your buddy wife or neighbor farmer has.

(only exception "might" be with specal issue tags in the case of crop distruction which are issued by MDC i am not sure about them but i know that meat can't be consumed buy the property ower or the person in charge of the killing)

now as to weather or not i agree with "party hunting" honestly i have no problems with it who cares i mean if you have tags what a great way to kill alot of does and thin the heard on a peice of land. i personally don't want no one killing my buck and don't want to kill one for any one else but thats just personal.
i would love to see it in missouri
would it be abused sure it would most parts of the current system are any way the honest will be honest the outlaws always have been always will be

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I wouldnt have a problem with it and I'll bet it would help the landowners who are wanting more deer taken off of their property accomplish it. I would think they would want to make it illegal for an adult to fill a youth tag though.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Originally posted by huntforfunnfood

(only exception "might" be with specal issue tags in the case of crop distruction which are issued by MDC i am not sure about them but i know that meat can't be consumed buy the property ower or the person in charge of the killing)
Thats what i meant by a farm tag,I am guessing their is is special permits for them

I guess your right on the abuse part, seems like a good thing and a great idea on the doe only part

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to the WI law group hunting is only allowed during the regular gun season. Not the bow or youth seasons. And to participate all hunters must be licensed and carrying a firearm and agree in advance that a tag holder is willing to use their tag on a deer killed by another member of the party. The complete list of rules for this law can be found here if your interested.

www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/regs/index.htm

I have done this in the past in WI. With large groups and with individuals. It can be a great way to fill tags for someone who wasn't having having much luck or had commitments during the season and just wanted to put a little meat in the freezer.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I don't see a problem with it. Like was said before with the farmers that want to get rid of deer on their land why not let them have a chance to fill all the tags they can get. Does only would be a good idea to.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I agree that if party hunting was to be allowed in Missouri, I would hope it is for does only. I don't really see much difference in that and the unlimited number of antlerless tags you can buy now anyway. If the MDC wants so many does killed, why not go ahead and allow the party hunting for them? I know I personally have had times where I was out for the weekend, already filled my antlerless tags that morning and had more does in front of me. I didn't have any more antlerless tags, so I let them pass, but my buddy, only 100 yards away, had a couple more antlerless tags in his pocket. Since they are unlimited we could have went and bought more anyway, but I hadn't bought that many ahead of time and I couldn't use his tags, so I passed. Just seems like this would be a perfect case where party hunting for does would have helped thin a few more out fo the herd.

:wave:

·
Former Chicken Man
20,385 Posts
Originally posted by deer_slayer
I agree that if party hunting was to be allowed in Missouri, I would hope it is for does only. I don't really see much difference in that and the unlimited number of antlerless tags you can buy now anyway. If the MDC wants so many does killed, why not go ahead and allow the party hunting for them? I know I personally have had times where I was out for the weekend, already filled my antlerless tags that morning and had more does in front of me. I didn't have any more antlerless tags, so I let them pass, but my buddy, only 100 yards away, had a couple more antlerless tags in his pocket. Since they are unlimited we could have went and bought more anyway, but I hadn't bought that many ahead of time and I couldn't use his tags, so I passed. Just seems like this would be a perfect case where party hunting for does would have helped thin a few more out fo the herd.

:wave:
That's exactly what it's for. :cheers::dancin:

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
I don't really have a problem with this either, and I think it happens a TON anyway.

The only thing I don't get is the difference between bucks and does. Obviously I understand how this could increase the doe harvest, but there are only so many buck tags anyway, why not on bucks as well?? If the person whos tag is being used has to be there anyway. If that is the law and it is actually followed...I don't think that many more bucks would be killed. Of course that's if the law was followed. Then again...how many people do you know who's "wife" shot a big one. It happens anyway, I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference in the negative aspects.

·
Registered
21,417 Posts
Well I guess I'll be the one to say I don't like it for deer hunting. If someone is hunting just because they want the meat, I'm sure there are several people on here, myself included that would be happy to shoot a doe, tag it and give it to them. If you are hunting to try to get a deer yourself, why would you want anyone else to shoot it for you?? :bangin: Kind of like putting a 7 lb. bass on your wall that you didn't catch.

I could maybe agree to party hunting in a kansas/iowa/south dakota pheasant hunt, where you have people pushing pheasants to blockers. If everyone is helping and its agreed to ahead of time, I might agree to that type of party hunting, but not for deer, turkey, ducks etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.