Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks great. Are they fenced? Deer have really started hitting my turnip and radish tops last several days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Missouri Hunting mobile app
No fencing. there are some beans mixed in there that I planted in early June and then over seeded the brassicas in late July. They are keeping the beans eaten down to about 6", but my deer won't hit the brassicas until after a hard frost.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,617 Posts
No fencing. there are some beans mixed in there that I planted in early June and then over seeded the brassicas in late July. They are keeping the beans eaten down to about 6", but my deer won't hit the brassicas until after a hard frost.
Oh yeah, Do you run a deer farm?

·
Registered
175 Posts
That is what I was HOPING for!!!
The best advice I can give is that if you leave that disk in the barn and you won't have to worry near as much about rain. A layer of thatch on the ground helps hold onto whatever rain you do get.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,617 Posts
I'm not really sure what you mean, but no. My "farm" is a total 10 acres, 3 of which are in food plots.
Oh I wasn't real sure, you said Your Deer so I thought you owned something like a high fence deer farm.

• Haha
Reactions: beanpile

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,617 Posts
No, I just have to depend on whatever I can lure in off of the neighbors. I guess I shouldn't say "my", but rather the deer around me.
Haha I was wondering when you would catch on :ROFLMAO:

·
1,585 Posts
Man I'm distraught after yesterday. Almost all of my brassicas appear to have downy mildew. Not sure if it was the heavy dew we've had from cool nights or what. Big sections dead.

·
Under appreciated
89,822 Posts
Man I'm distraught after yesterday. Almost all of my brassicas appear to have downy mildew. Not sure if it was the heavy dew we've had from cool nights or what. Big sections dead.
Cycles of moist evenings and hot days are prime for fungal pathogenic infections, especially with young seedlings.

I’m hopeful for mine, I broadcasted my brassicas into standing soybeans and the beans are turning FAST. I’m starting to get some sunlight through the canopy and hoping I timed the seeding just right. I may yet overseed next weekend to make sure I get a second flush if my first seeding is a partial failure. It should be a honey hole of a spot, very hopeful.

·
1,585 Posts
Cycles of moist evenings and hot days are prime for fungal pathogenic infections, especially with young seedlings.

I’m hopeful for mine, I broadcasted my brassicas into standing soybeans and the beans are turning FAST. I’m starting to get some sunlight through the canopy and hoping I timed the seeding just right. I may yet overseed next weekend to make sure I get a second flush if my first seeding is a partial failure. It should be a honey hole of a spot, very hopeful.
So the question is what the hell do you do with them so they don't infect the next crop or reseed? I've heard it stays in the soil for quite some time

·
Under appreciated
89,822 Posts
So the question is what the hell do you do with them so they don't infect the next crop or reseed? I've heard it stays in the soil for quite some time
fungal pathogens have varied viability over time in the soil. Some like verticilium and fusarium are very long lived and persistent (why people rotate where they plant tomatoes).
Some favor certain soils, some need specific environmental (moisture, temperature, humidity) to thrive etc. In a production situation, a fungicide would be applied in one form or another. Sometimes the damage reaches a threshold where treatment is warranted, sometimes not.
There are certain beneficial fungal relationships with plants also like mycorizhal symbiosis.

Soil physical chemistry and biology can be complicated and there isnt a one size fits all description or recommendation.

Its like bad luck.. just floats around.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I don’t need to worry about fungal anything in my brassicas. Burnt to a crisp twice cures that problem.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
I was quite surprised with my turnips, they are still up and going. But just sitting around 6" begging for rain. Hopefully the rains tonight will get them going a bit more.

·
Registered
23,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I was quite surprised with my turnips, they are still up and going. But just sitting around 6" begging for rain. Hopefully the rains tonight will get them going a bit more.
the t=years they come in good sure feel nice! This is not one of those years for me!

·
Registered
23,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Dry as a popcorn fart here. Took the fence off my beans and they will be fine but I might just nuke everything else and go with wheat if we don't get anything out of the 40% chance they're calling for tonight.
just started raining here, we will hunt the plot tomorrow and suspect I will broadcast wheat later this week! Hopefully a 3.5 or older walks in tomorrow, I like Simon's odds!

121 - 140 of 140 Posts