Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
906 Posts
I went to the farm today to see IF any radish or turnips were up yet from last weeks broadcasting. Only the shaded areas that hold dew/moisture in the morning had plants growing. The rest of the ground was dry.
As my luck would have it though, rain was coming while i was there. I watched it wrap around me. Literally, it was coming straight to me, then it started to go around me.
I had to take a screen shot of the storm. Lol
I plan on broadcasting winter wheat second week of September.
Ecoregion World Map Line Atlas

·
Former Leader in Warning points!
10,489 Posts
You might be ok with your turnips still, one year I planted mine July 25th like I always do and got zero rain until end of august. Turned out to be a very good crop of turnips still. This weekend I’ll be planting a mixture of oats, wheat, winter peas and my leftover brassica blend in the small seed box. Brassicas may not do much but hell with it, they goin into the shotgun mix for my last plots.
I’ve done it like this pretty much every year for the past 10 or so. I’ve gotten turnips I can harvest and eat is some years and others I’ve gotten just tops with no bulb underneath. It’s a bit of a gamble but a pretty high percentage to at least have something the deer like to eat instead of a burnt up field. Also, I only plant once and rarely have time to come back and overseed.

Reactions: 20'

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
How does wheat do with turnips and radishes? I’ve got access to water my brassica plot so I thought about just throwing out some wheat in with em and see what it’d do. I broadcast wheat in a stand alone plot a couple weeks ago. Got 6 tenths a few days after planting and a week or so later got another inch. Checked a few days after the last rain and still no wheat. If we ever get some rain I’ll replant the stand alone plot but wondered how it’d do in the meantime with the turnips and radishes

·
1,501 Posts
We literally were passed by on the rain Monday a half mile in each direction. I know mine are cooked after we got 1/2 last weekend. Enough to germinate and subsequently die in the desert. Been a horrible weather year for planting in our area.

I probably nuked the ones that were growing decently from an earlier seeding. Got some urea down on them with enough rain to melt it in. Followed that up with death valley this week and I'm sure I've got plenty of pigweed

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Finally got the rain I needed to survive these high temps. Funny how things had germinated in the shade where there was plenty of moisture. Yet, in 2 or 3 open areas where it dried up quicly, there is only minimal coverage. Keeping my fingers crossed that things fill in but the plots I put in are more for next year anyway. I went big with Whitetail Institute clover and alfa rack.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,571 Posts
It's funny after the rain mine aren't looking like sh!t any longer. They are just lookin meh now.

Reactions: Wibb and 20'

·
Foul Language
502 Posts
Fenced off soybeans looking good for just broadcasting. The other field was in corn but the deer destroyed it before it could put on an ear. Mowed most of it down and planted a turnip/radish/crimson clover mix on it. The last week of hot dry weather has been tough on it. Hopefully it turns out. Finally got a 0.25" rain yesterday.

Attachments

·
Under appreciated
89,149 Posts
Finally got the rain I needed to survive these high temps. Funny how things had germinated in the shade where there was plenty of moisture. Yet, in 2 or 3 open areas where it dried up quicly, there is only minimal coverage. Keeping my fingers crossed that things fill in but the plots I put in are more for next year anyway. I went big with Whitetail Institute clover and alfa rack.
I broadcasted my fall/winter brassicas into soybeans last weekend that will be finishing off soon and it was plenty moist under that canopy. Just short of an acres worth, and we got a nice little shower Sunday right before we headed for home.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Rat: This plot is the craziest thing you have ever seen. I drug it with a piece of fence and things germinated and are green in all of about 3 small areas. But, in those specific areas, it did germinate where my tire tracks went through. Everywhere else looks pretty decent. I did nothing different in those 3 small areas. The only difference best I can tell is that it is in direct sun and held little to no moisture. Obivously there was enough moisture to germinate the seed in my tire tracks where there was good dirt contact. There is also some germination in my footprints where I walked. but, for the most part, these 3 small areas are barren of growth. Never had that before.

·
Foul Language
502 Posts
Rat: This plot is the craziest thing you have ever seen. I drug it with a piece of fence and things germinated and are green in all of about 3 small areas. But, in those specific areas, it did germinate where my tire tracks went through. Everywhere else looks pretty decent. I did nothing different in those 3 small areas. The only difference best I can tell is that it is in direct sun and held little to no moisture. Obivously there was enough moisture to germinate the seed in my tire tracks where there was good dirt contact. There is also some germination in my footprints where I walked. but, for the most part, these 3 small areas are barren of growth. Never had that before.
You need a cultipacker.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Definitely would have made a difference.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape Land lot

Sky Cloud Plant Plant community Natural landscape

Sky Plant Plant community Cloud Natural landscape

Im doing a happy dance for the plots at the home farm, north farm needs rain bad- have t been up there to check and honestly would rather not know cause will make me sad

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
We planted turnips Sunday morning and got a pretty good shower yesterday. Hopefully it was enough to get things rolling. It was awfully dry at the farm before that so it needed quite a bit of rain.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,571 Posts
My Winter Peas aren't going to make it to winter. Be lucky if they make it to fall. Had a bachelor group of 7 bucks on it the other night.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts