Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

How are the kill numbers coming along? Is all day hunting coming in 2020

19K views 589 replies 37 participants last post by  Hawk 
#1 ·
What the story, are we going to beat last year? is the famed all day hunting going to be implemented next year? AT a time when things are in the crapper in the turkey woods?? opps, forgot we are within the famed "Golden Mean",hahahaha

#5 ·
I've probably seen more birds this year hunting than any other year........ :wave1:

Reactions: trailblazer75
#6 ·
All day hunting thats funny,yah got three weeks,mushroom hunters get the woods to and I imagine there is a lot more of them than Turkey hunters:D
I suspect it will be lower numbers again,time will tell,maybe shake it up a little and go to one bird season in some counties:D

#14 ·
Anyone stupid enough to think reducing
the number of one sex might not increase predation of the other obviously isn't qualified to determine whether someones thoughts are dumb or not.

#15 ·
Thru hunting on the monday of the 3rd week last year we had killed 27500 birds and had a jake percent of 13.7%.

Thru hunting on moday of the 3rd week this year we have killed 30560 birds with a jake percent of 19.4.

I suspect we will end up with a total kill increase of around 10-15% this year.

#21 ·
LETS LOOK AT THE NUMBERS AS WHAT THEY ARE NOT as something to be manipulated to tell a false story.
a bit ago i looked at the numbers thru this season so far.
33380 total kill
26318 adult tom
6683 jake
378 total hen
7261 jake plus bearded hen
the taking of hens and jake to the total harvest 21.75 percent
hen and jake to mature toms 27.589 percent

39254 total kill
33879 toms
490 bearded hen
4825 jake
5315 collateral damage/ jake plus bearded hens
collateral damage 13.54 percent of total kill
collateral damage 15.688 percent of tom kill.
34072 total kill
28586 tom
487 bearded hen
4999 jake
5486 collateral damage bearded hen and jake
collateral damage 15.85 percent pf total kill
collateral damage 19.19 percent of toms killed.
There are the brutal numbers , THE THING THAT JUMPS OUT IS THE COLLATERAL DAMAGE BEING INFLICTED THIS YEAR.
LETS LOOK AT THE COLLATERAL DAMAGE OVER THE LAST THREE YEARS WHEN H TO P RATIO WERE .8, .8, AND 1.1.
2017 -13.54 PERCENT OF TOTAL HARVEST 15.688 PERCENT OF MATURE TOMS.
2018 -15.86 PERCENT TOTAL HARVEST 19.19 PERCENT OF MATURE TOMS
2019 -21.75 PERCENT OF TOTAL HARVEST 27.589 PERCENT OF MATURE TOMS
OR JUST THE NUMBERS OF THE COLLATERAL DAMAGE- 5315, 5486, 7261 YES 7261 IS THE NUMBER OF COLLATERAL LOSS FOR THIS YEAR.HEN THAT WILL NOT HATCH A EGG AND TOMS THAT WILL NEVER MATURE. The season is like the hatch, again toast. iN 2 YEARS HAZELVILLE WILL START TO SEE QUALITY TURKEY HUNTING AGAIN. looking at the facts it appears northeast mo is well on their way to management in spite of mdc. OR AT LEAST THE MANTRA OF WHAT HAWK CLAIMS.

#29 ·
I would be tagged out already if ADH were in place this year. I dont mind the challenge though.
If I had to vote, I'd vote for ADH right now even though I have some misgivings about it.

#32 ·
FEWER PREDATORS, MORE DEER AND TURKEYS
To have more wildlife on your property, especially deer and turkeys, you must manage predators. Mossy Oak GameKeepers ProStaffer Michael C. Johnson of Plainfield, Georgia, started trapping and harvesting predators about nine years ago. Johnson has been a Mossy Oak ProStaffer for three years.
Michael Johnson | Mossy Oak ProStaff

#36 ·
A prostaffer eh? Seems legit....[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Paper
Font Material property Publication Screenshot Document

Reactions: riverrat09
#35 ·
Most people don’t think about raccoons and possums as being detrimental to wildlife. They generally consider bobcats, coyotes and foxes as being problems. But when you want to increase turkey populations, the raccoons and possums are much more damaging to turkeys. They’ll destroy wild turkey eggs and nests and often kill hens sitting on their nests. If a **** or a possum finds a hen turkey that is holding tight on the nest no matter what, and they kill and eat her as well as her eggs, that predator has reduced the number of available turkey hens as well as the number of poults that would have been born that year. Planting food plots, doing prescribed burns and manipulating the habitat for turkeys are all good practices to increase turkey populations. However, if you overlook predator control, you’re leaving out a very important and critical element of turkey management.

We realize we’ll never wipe out all the *****, possums and coyotes on the lands we and our friends hunt, but by reducing the number of predators in a single year, we can see more turkeys and deer be born and survive than if we don’t practice predator control. To have more turkeys, you need to establish a well-planned predator control program on your hunting lands.

#37 ·
Most people don't think about raccoons and possums as being detrimental to wildlife. They generally consider bobcats, coyotes and foxes as being problems. But when you want to increase turkey populations, the raccoons and possums are much more damaging to turkeys. They'll destroy wild turkey eggs and nests and often kill hens sitting on their nests. If a **** or a possum finds a hen turkey that is holding tight on the nest no matter what, and they kill and eat her as well as her eggs, that predator has reduced the number of available turkey hens as well as the number of poults that would have been born that year. Planting food plots, doing prescribed burns and manipulating the habitat for turkeys are all good practices to increase turkey populations. However, if you overlook predator control, you're leaving out a very important and critical element of turkey management.

We realize we'll never wipe out all the *****, possums and coyotes on the lands we and our friends hunt, but by reducing the number of predators in a single year, we can see more turkeys and deer be born and survive than if we don't practice predator control. To have more turkeys, you need to establish a well-planned predator control program on your hunting lands.
Ask him for his completed scientific study and data supporting this.

Do "prostaffers" do actual research??

Reactions: riverrat09
#50 ·
I don't rate the quality of my turkey hunting experience by the kill numbers. I rate it by the numbers of birds seen/heard. In my specific area 10 years ago I would hear 4-8 birds gobbling, and see hens all morning. Now I hear 1 or 2, and did not see a single hen. I stilled killed a bird. But frankly turkey hunting isn't near as fun for me since the population is way down.

#51 ·
Thats why they call it hunting and not guaranteed fun....

Reactions: Str8 Killn
#52 ·
Jesus Christ every post is major mis-interpretation or utter incompentency of a simple concept. I said, 10 ***** would find less that 100 regardless of the habitat type. Pretty damn obvious I would think I was talking about within the same habitat type (bad, medium, good). I'm not comparing 10 ***** finding X nests in piss poor nesting habitat to 100 ***** finding Y nests in great nesting habitat. The only changing variable is the ***** within a given habitat type. Not less ***** in bad habitat to more ***** in great habitat. 100 ***** in bad habitat will find more nest than 10 ***** in the same bad habitat. 100 ***** in medium habitat will find more nests that 10 ***** in the same medium habitat. 100 ***** in great habitat will find more than 10 in the same great habitat. Regardless of habitat type, 100 will also find them way faster than 10.

As far as your golfball analogy. Of course one swinging dich will find more of the 100 balls on the fairway as compared to 1 guys in the rough. But I guarantee 10 guys would find the 100 balls faster on the fairway than 1 and I guarantee 10 will find more in the rough than 1 and in much shorter order. It ain't that hard to comprehend.

#53 ·
And that is 100% WRONG.

how many golfers does it take to find 100 golf balls on the fairway?

#65 ·
Your not wrong there I don't how many trappers I know that landowners whine and cry about ***** and stuff but wont let them trap because it might interfere with theyre deer hunting lol. but im not really convinced that's it about *****

#73 ·
100 ***** or 10 ***** looking for maybe 15 nests on 320 acres in poor habitat will find them ALL in 30 days.

#79 ·
Those numbers indicate a much better hatch than last years phr produced.

#86 ·
Cant read eh??
Font Paper Document Symmetry Electric blue

#87 ·
Missouris survey show the same. Hunter satisfaction fluctuates with harvest levels.

#88 ·
Yes I can read. And that isn't a survey that says hunter satisfaction isn't tied to good gobbling.

#89 ·
It is. How do you think he got the info?

#90 ·
Yes I can read. And that isn't a survey that says hunter satisfaction isn't tied to good gobbling.

#91 ·
It is.

#93 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.