How about some opinions on your season.

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by rmr, Nov 5, 2010.

1. rmr

rmr New Member

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=104851#pid1504383

If you click on the above post and read a letter I sent to MDC last December I thought I would revisit that for bit,
    first of all this is a discussion mostly my opinion and if it gets stupid I will pull it. My opinions have not changed on the lack of deer situation if anything I feel it is worse than a year ago.
    Im not seeing deer on my way to and from work, I have bow hunted 11 times and seen some deer each time but for the habitat we have should be seeing lots more, have hunted the timber and plots,talked to numerous friends and farmers in our part of Chariton county and the deer are just not there, and turkey is even worse. I got a nice response from MDC but we still can buy unlimited doe tags, and for that matter I feel fall turkey hunting should be closed till numbers come back, My opinion I feel the MDC is being to slow to react to a situation that is getting worse instead of better.
    now we have reports of blue tongue and had a case of CWD in a penned herd north of us. Had a guy tell me this morning he took his granddaughter two afternoons during the youth hunt and never saw a deer, this guy has killed numerous big deer he knows how to hunt.
    I still believe making available unlimited doe tags is huge mistake. I agree with MDC most of the time and would consider them a friend but like lots of friends they still make mistakes,
    one final point lets take care of declineing deer and turkey populations before we introduce elk in Missouri
    Finally if this turns stupid I will pull it so keep it nice.

2. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    rmr: I totaly agree about the declining populations. I hunt three different farms that are not connected, and I have yet to see any sign of turkey. As for the deer, we don't have unlimited doe tags down here, but, the population still seems to be a little low compared to the last year.

3. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    RMR i agree with you on the unlimited doe tags issue! the turkeys on the other hand are in huge numbers out where i hunt...almost to the point where gobblers dont have to go anywhere in the spring to mate but thats because no one fall hunts them...i think that the landowners permits are too many personally...when my grandpa comes into the room and says look at the tags we have and just unrolls them and they are as tall as him which is pushing 6 ft....thats a little too extreme...and if we killed a deer/turkey for everyone of those tags that would DESTROY our population! thanks for the post RMR!

4. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

I totally agree the unlimited tags has got out of hand.
    The problem with unlimited tags is it's very hard to go back because a certain percentage of hunters are now used to slaughtering every deer they see. People are going to throw a hissy when their rights to kill a dozen deer have been infringed upon. :blah:

I don't see a problem going back to a system where combined bow/gun you can kill a max of about 5-6 deer a year (in certain prime counties).

5. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    My season starts next Monday. Three folks hunting our bowspot have seen tons of deer every time out.

6. SHEDZILLA

SHEDZILLA New Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Ia/Mo line
    Plenty or deer/turkeys in my hunting areas but i do think unlimited rifle doe tags is ridiculous. 2 or 3 gun doe tags would be plenty for any one. I know groups of guys who buy 10 each and use them all every year during doe season

7. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    The harvest numbers will tell the story - assuming there is not some bad weather ( IE ; lots of rain or bad winds ) Im guessing that harvest numbers will be same or better then last year. Dam sure no shortage of deer and turkeys round here

8. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    Everybody is against unlimited doe tags but every time someone posts up they just killed there 37th deer of the season they get a standing ovation, i for one think you should be allowed one buck tag and one doe tag period! If your a farmer with crop damage needs then more tags could be available upon request

9. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    got to agree but i don't see it changing.MDC wants less deer for the insurance sake.they say there is to many deer not MDC.biggest problem is the insurance people, they run MDC :D

10. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

[rquote=1881939&tid=131060&author=Sully]The harvest numbers will tell the story - assuming there is not some bad weather ( IE ; lots of rain or bad winds ) Im guessing that harvest numbers will be same or better then last year. Dam sure no shortage of deer and turkeys round here [/rquote]

The kill numbers can be misleading because if you kill 5 deer you may have only seen 5 all year.

11. Remington 338

Remington 338 New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I am another one that shares your concern. I think the MDC is one of the best depatments in the country, but on this matter they are falling way behind. I would like to know the real reason they are doing this, is it the insurance companys or do the upper managment in the MDC really think our deer numbers are to high. I live and hunt in Vernon county and I have not seen the deer numbers like we used to see. It is just not seeing them hunting that is bothering me, I like to watch them out of the house windows and I also like to see them as I drive down the road. Deer sightings of any kind are dwindling.
    I just turn 39 this year, so I have been driving quite a few years and I have only hit 2 deer in my entire life. Of those two deer I only killed one of them the other I was driving slow enough it didn't hurt the deer or the truck. Is it because I am lucky or is it because I try and drive with a little common sense?
    They need to get rid of the unlimited doe tags and don't even get me started on rifle hunting durning the rut.

12. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    I think a limit of five deer per person in total by whatever means would be sufficient..

13. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Sorry guys but I say if you are able to shoot 37 deer more power to you #1 must be lots of deer in your area #2 aint none of my business #3 and I know this is going to make some people mad but my opinion is that some are jealious they can't or dont kill more deer !

My opinion - Fire away

14. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

[rquote=1881949&tid=131060&author=DADAKOTA]I think a limit of five deer per person in total by whatever means would be sufficient..[/rquote]

In the right areas, you can kill 5 deer in 1 weekend with a rifle. That's what we're trying to avoid in my opinion.

15. wabow

wabow New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    I totally agree and I travel ALOT through Chariton, Randolph, Howard,Boone and Carrol counties the deer numbers are absolutely down from what they were.

The slaughter that some SHOOTERS have put onto the deer herd is NUTS. I have seen first hand two different parties year after year do NOT let a legal deer past them, if its brown its down to them. Too many have this attitude and don't use their heads, if this keeps up it will be like the story of the buffalo. Unlimited doe harvest must stop, I know many others who will agree.

16. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    I can kill all the deer I want. However, I only kill what I can use. Never understood the killing deer just to kill them mentality.

17. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

[rquote=1881956&tid=131060&author=DADAKOTA]Never understood the killing deer just to kill them mentality.[/rquote]

A lot of people use the "excuse" that they are giving deer away to people. I think most of the time that turns into "I just got another deer that I have no idea what I'm going to do with it...I better make some calls so I can get rid of this one and go out and get more" :mad2:

18. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    [rquote=1881956&tid=131060&author=DADAKOTA]I can kill all the deer I want. However, I only kill what I can use. Never understood the killing deer just to kill them mentality.[/rquote]

Awww now see thats making a huge assumption , know lots of guys that kill lots of deer but don't know any that kill just to kill , maybe you do but I say its not by any means the norm

19. rmr

rmr New Member

Sounds like there are still deer in some areas,
    my agent says 5 years ago the harvest was 3,000 per year in our county it is running less than 1/2 that , body shop guy says he fixed a 1/3 of his normal last year in deer accidents, one of the things my agent friend did say for ever letter like mine that would like to see more deer they get two from people that hate seeing them on the highways.
    I understand it is a hard balancing act, but think about this when the numbers get so low and people quit deer hunting how much of a economic impact on certain areas that is going to have. I have to agree with Coyotehunter its big money pressure from some where driving this to a certain extent.

20. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    According to MDC, Pike County where I hunt and neighboring Ralls and Lincoln counties had a pretty severe EHD outbreak a few years back. On our farm a couple cousins of mine declared "war" on does and were shooting pretty much every doe they saw through those same years. As a result deer numbers on our place seemed to be at an all time low in 2007. Of the 8 of us that rifle hunt every single one said they saw fewer deer than ever in 07 and 08. Last year numbers seemed to be coming back and this year from what I've seen bowhunting numbers are still climbing. I am not going to take a doe off the place again this year for the 5th year in a row but depending on what everyone else does during rifle season and how numbers look next summer and fall I might next year.

I have no illusion that I really know for sure how many deer are on our heavily timbered, broken terrain farm....I am simply doing my best to guage numbers based on trail cam data, personal scouting and hunting observations, and reports from family members of sightings.