Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I am going to be clearing out a a bunch of honey locust trees this weekend in a pasture and i've heard horor storys about killing the stumps. I was wandering what you guys would do to keep the stumps from sprouting back out. We are going to cut them as close to the ground as posible but i know they will regrow. Also there are a few cedar trees but i dont think they will be a problem. Thanks for any help.

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,630 Posts
Tordon RTU applied to the freshly cut stump. Roundup (or generic) at 20% (1/2 1/2 concentrate) same thing.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,037 Posts
Go get you some torodon & religiously treat every stump after you cut the trees. You won't kill any grass this way.

If you don't treat every stump, you'll have lots more new locust trees for every stump left untreated.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,037 Posts
[rquote=1486881&tid=103889&author=dompeters84]can tardon be put on this time of year?
[/rquote]

Yes

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Some will say no or it ain't the best time, but IMHO from MY experience firsthand the stuff will work excellent no matter the time of year. Just be sure to treat each stump as you cut them individually. The cells start to close immediately after cutting. having someone treat as you drop helps a lot, and by treating each one as you cut you don't miss any. :02:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just went through the same thing with Honey Locust, and Hedge Trees. Tordon is definitely the way to go. I've been cutting/treating them in the Fall, Winter and early Spring, and haven't had a one resprout.

[file]81032[/file]

[file]81030[/file]

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! looks great. Your project looks to be about the same as mine. I have about 50 acres to do so it may take some time. Thank god for free labor from the hunting buddies i let hunt there.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks. I had a bit of help from some guys on this forum myself. We cleared about 40 acres so far, and have about another 20 to go. The worst stuff is pretty much done though. We dropped all the cedars first. You don't have to tordon them if you have any. Just cut them below the bottom branch, and low enough for a brushhog to go over the stumps. Everything else got a healthy dose of tordon after each cut though. Good luck, and make sure you take some before pictures. You'll be amazed how much better it looks when you're done.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Try and wear clothing that might protect you against the thorns. Heavy leather gloves are a must. Trust me, you won't like it if you get stuck with a honeylocust thorn. They will swell the area up and ache for a week or so.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, I will have the heavy gloves on and some brush pants. I've been stuck before by the thorns and it does not feel good at all. Good idea on the pictures it is always good to look back and reflect on how much work was done and how much you have improved the land. I know its going to be a lot of work but it will be fun. I enjoy being outside and doing these kinds of projects.

·
5,092 Posts
make sure you move the tops to a pile when they are green. as i've learned if you wait until they are dry and brittle they will drop thorns all over the place and you'll never be able to run a tractor or 4 wheeler through the area without getting flats.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,923 Posts
One thing that we've done too is if the trees are too big and won't fall because of other trees surrounding it, just ring it with a chainsaw and squirt the Tordon RTU in there. It will kill the tree.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
[rquote=1487264&tid=103889&author=citybowhunter]make sure you move the tops to a pile when they are green. as i've learned if you wait until they are dry and brittle they will drop thorns all over the place and you'll never be able to run a tractor or 4 wheeler through the area without getting flats. [/rquote]

If you have follow up fires, the thorns seem to burn real well, even if the tree doesn't go.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
DWD is right, my place is proof. We've done both falling and ringing. Same results and no suckers coming back fron the root system.

Danno I wish I knew how to convert those thorns to gasoline. :eek:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya good call on moving them to piles right away. I plan on piling them up and burning them at some point once they dry out. I don't want to deal with all the flat tires. How long do the thorns take to rot away usually? Also how long does it take for the stumps to rot away? eventually I would like to get some equipment in parts of it and plant some food plots.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I mix tordon with diesel 50/50 for stump treatment. I've even mixed it 1/3 tordon to 2/3 diesel with excellent results only after a long period of time that lesser mixture tends to seperate but 50/50 works real good. You can use a WeedRazor cover on the end of a sprayer tip and dab the tordon onto the stump to better localize the solution.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
[rquote=1487655&tid=103889&author=nontypical]I mix tordon with diesel 50/50 for stump treatment. I've even mixed it 1/3 tordon to 2/3 diesel with excellent results only after a long period of time that lesser mixture tends to seperate but 50/50 works real good. You can use a WeedRazor cover on the end of a sprayer tip and dab the tordon onto the stump to better localize the solution.[/rquote]

You are one very lucky guy. The diesel you mixed with must have had water emuslifers in it (winter diesel) because 90% of the time what you mixed will turn into a gallon of mayonaise looking goop.

Tordon22k is not ever reccomended to be mixed with diesel because the surfactants and carriers do not mix in diesel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts