Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets talk about....Whose made em and how? Money and time involved. I like the idea of shooting a doe in the early season, and I also like the idea of not having to scramble to get her processed because of the heat.

Any thoughts and or pics would be awesome.

Kurt

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Gutpile

We've got two walk in coolers, we can hang around 22 at a time if we want to. We picked up both of ours for next to nothing combined.

I know some guys who have tried to make their own, with some success, and some with failure. I would suggest keeping an eye peeled for processors, delis, butchers, etc. that are going out of business. You may be really surprised at how cheap you can pick one up as opposed to trying to make your own.

The problem I see with making your own is the compressor that you need. Your subject said freezer, and maybe that was a mistake, but the freezers and coolers are different and you don't want a freezer unless you have the $ and ability to change it out. You're going to have to get the right compressor and other components if you make your own, if you want it to work right, and I would almost bet that will cost you as much as buying the whole setup from someone going out of business or at a sale. One of ours gets turned on the day before the opener of bow season and runs until the season is over...37 degrees constant. That's why you want the right type of compressor!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,357 Posts
Originally posted by GoGop
I wonder if an ice company would sell one their dented up old freezers like you see outside gas stations for a cheap price. It's not a walkin like you asked, but it might be a reasonable alternative.
Now there's a good idea!

·
PURE KILLER
38,011 Posts
might consider an old reefer off some refridgerated trucks also.

·
Registered
70,604 Posts
Yote...that is exactly what Nadler's Meat in Wellington uses for their overflow of deer awaiting processing. In fact I think they have two of them. They do make good summer sausage there.

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
I think he's talking aobut the actual enclosure itself. You would definately have to have the right unit to cool a certain sized walkin. Building a walkin is no big deal, it's basically an insulated box. Sizing the unit to match is where you don't want to make a mistake. I can as well as a few others on here can size the unit if you make the enclosure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.