homemade scent neutralizer

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by kcbowhunt, Sep 22, 2006.

1. kcbowhunt

kcbowhunt New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    heard some things bout a 'homemade' recipe for scent proofing stuff. you guys have any ideas or know of anything.

2. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    Try this one:

Things to purchase:
    1) One gallon DISTILLED WATER.
    2) Two pint bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide (16 ounces each).
    3) Two boxes of baking soda.
    4) A new, clean bucket with a lid. Avaliable at hardware stores.

Directions:
    Mix one half gallon of DISTILLED WATER, two bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide, and two boxes or baking soda in the bucket. Stir until most of the baking soda is dissolved. Not all of the baking soda will dissolve, this is normal. Shaking the bucket with the lid on may work as well. Shake or stir occassionally over the next week. Next pour into clean spray bottles and use as you would the store bought stuff. Remember to shake well before use. Hope this saves you all some cash. Good Hunting and Be Safe!

3. kcbowhunt

kcbowhunt New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    oh wow, ,thanks guys

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :D We've talked about this scent killer thing a time or two.....yeppers. :D

Parker

6. MoBowHunter

MoBowHunter New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Central Missouri
    i dont know what has been posted about it but ive tried distilled water clean pans and cutting cedar branches, picking up acorns, throwing some dirt in there, and just some leaves from the woods.....then boiling it to get all the good stuff out of your leaves and stuff and it smelt rather strong i think i used some walnuts too.....it worked as far as i know....maybe if you combing these two ideas which now i am going to try it may work well.....im tired of paying 16 bucks for scent-a-way spray i will tell you that.......

7. I heard you on the price. I may try this.

BTH

8. BigPunkus

BigPunkus New Member

May 21, 2006
    Boonville
    BTH, big poppa said to tear off some evergreen leaves and stick them in a trash bag with your clothes overnight. I tried it, smells like cedar.

9. kcbowhunt

kcbowhunt New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    gonna try the boiling idea. have to use to much scent killer just to stay on the safe side

10. BigJay

BigJay Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Jefferson County, MO
    Yep- my wife and I just grab a couple chunks of fresh cedar, and toss them in a big rubbermaid box with a snap style lid. Seems to work well....

11. BioBuck

BioBuck Active Member

I second the evergreen idea. I took a rubbermaid container and lined the lid and the top of the container with the foam window/door seal to help keep it air tight. I have a couple stands that I hunt which are within a few yards of cedars, so I place fresh cedar twigs in my container with my hunting clothes the night before to produce a natural cover scent. I had a doe with triples directly under my stand last season after doing this, so I am convinced it is worth doing. I could have jumped on her back and rode her through the conservation area if I wanted...I didn't have anyone to take pictures of it, and without proof, who would believe that story ;)

I will have to try the homemade brew. It sounds like it would work, and I am all about saving a few bucks...actually I like to kill big bucks :sniper:, but I like saving a few dollars.

12. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    The homebrew will work pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is that it will leave a white film on everything you spray with it as it dries.

13. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
  14. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I do the homemade spray I make along with this....I start in August and wash all my hunting clothes in a scent free wash, hang outside on clothesline for two weeks, no matter the weather. If dry I put everything hunting related except my bow into an insulated dock box, including clean boxers. I have already cut cedar and oak limbs and placed them in the bottom of the box. The only time my hunting items leave this box is in the woods. I change right there in front of God and nature. The scent really permeates the clothing but doesn't seem too strong, I've got deer walking directly under me, and I only hunt 15 feet up.

15. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

I would almost swear by my mix last year.

I use:
    1/2 gal: Distilled Water
    1/2 gal hydrogen peroxide
    1/2 box of baking soda
    HS scent away soap as much as you want to add I would say about 1/2 cup though

mix that together and let it sit for about 4-5 days. DO NOT SHAKE THE MIX AS IT COULD BLOW!!!!!!!!! Till it settles after 4-5 days. I learned the hard way with a milk jug :hysterical:

I also buy activated carbon in bulk and grind it down with a coffee grinder. I add that to the insde of my outer layers so I do not get any on my skin. The homebrew I add to the inside and outside of my under armour and the outside of my hunting clothes. I had several deer come downwind and also had a few spot me in the trees and try to wind me. They never did or at least never ran if they did smell me. They all went back to doing their thing. Give it a try sometime and tell me how it goes for ya:2thumbsup::2thumbsup::cheers::cheers:

also about the 27-30 percent hydrogen peroxide you can use that to break the dormancy of eastern gama grass in about 1-2 hours instead of 2-3 months in the fridge :2thumbsup:

16. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

I know what you mean HS. I put that all over my clothes I actually prefer the white film and I guess that it helps with the odor on the skin for me since I put it on the inside of my under armour.

17. BioBuck

BioBuck Active Member

Has anyone had any trouble with the homebrew (especially the hydrogen peroxide) fading their camo? The only reason I ask is because I am considering trying this out, but I just dropped $120 for a pair of Realtree AP Scentlok coveralls and the colors look fantastic and I would hate to through the homebrew on there and have them fade on me. I may play it safe and just spray my undergarments with the concoction.

I forgot about this post since it was made a while ago, so thanks for bringing it back to my attention. Hopefully it will help me save some cash so I can spend it on other hunting gadgets.

18. willowbend

willowbend New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    At Home Where Else?
    If your around cows you know what the best cover scent is:eek:Yep step in it and get it all over your boots and pants and your good to go,If now cows in the area you hunt,Well your back to washing everything in baking soda,and use what is in your surroundings you will hunt,Dont use cedar or pine(evergreen) if your in a hardwood only area as it will stand out.

19. I do not know but the potential to stretch your dollar is in that recipe.