Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make my own scent eliminator spray for deer hunting and it works as good as the store brand and it's MUCH cheaper.

Just thought I'd let everyone know, there is a recipe in the newest field and stream...I don't have it at the computer but I'll post it when I get a chance if someone doesn't beat me to it.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
HS is this the one you are talking about?

You Stink
Slather on this mix to keep from getting busted
By T. Edward Nickens

Even if you shower in no-scent soap right before your hunt, the little bit you sweat going to your stand will turn into a powerful stench to deer. That’s why smart hunters compulsively use commercial scent killers. The problem is that their cost can make you apply them sparingly, which is like putting deodorant on only one armpit.

Here’s a simple homemade scent killer. Hydrogen peroxide kills the bacteria and fungi that turn sweat into a deer-busting funk, and baking soda deodorizes whatever sneaks by.

What You Need:
3% Hydrogen Peroxide
Distilled Water
Baking Soda
Shampoo
How It's Done
Step 1: Shop
Assemble the ingredients:
2 cups (16 ounces) 3% hydrogen peroxide
2 cups (16 ounces) distilled water
½ cup baking soda
1 ounce unscented shampoo (available at drug or health-food stores)

Step 2: Mix
Gently combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until the baking soda dissolves. Pour this mixture into a 1-gallon lidded container, such as a milk jug. Let it sit for three days with the lid on loosely to allow gases to escape.

Step 3: Bottle
Fill a plastic bottle that has a trigger sprayer with the scent killer. It must be clean, so buy a new one from a hardware store or online (usplastics.com).

Step 4: Wipe
To make scent-killing wipes, place plain brown multifold paper towelsâ€"the kind that come in stacks, not on a rollâ€"in a small plastic tub with an airtight lid. Cover them with scent killer and let it soak in. Pour out excess liquid and replace the lid. Now you can wipe down boots, bows, and stands, and even use a towel or two to neutralize the sweat you produce shinnying up that perfect white oak.

You can go to the article HERE

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's it...thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I finally found it! Now that I've got it, I need to hear from someone to find out how the mix turns out. Got any feedback on making this concoction. I ain't real crazy about spending the $$ for the ingredients if it isn't fit for using. Thanks

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It works well. The only downside that I have found with the homemade recipes is that they will generally leave a little bit of a white film on things from the baking soda. You don't notice it on your clothing, but if you spray anything solid you will.

·
Registered
19,041 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
It works well. The only downside that I have found with the homemade recipes is that they will generally leave a little bit of a white film on things from the baking soda. You don't notice it on your clothing, but if you spray anything solid you will.
And make sure you leave the lid loose for 3-4 days after you mix it to let the container off-gas. Do not shake it more after you mix it either. :cheers: It can build up a lot of pressure quickly.

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Originally posted by Grumpy
You Stink
Slather on this mix to keep from getting busted
By T. Edward Nickens

Even if you shower in no-scent soap right before your hunt, the little bit you sweat going to your stand will turn into a powerful stench to deer. That’s why smart hunters compulsively use commercial scent killers. The problem is that their cost can make you apply them sparingly, which is like putting deodorant on only one armpit.

Here’s a simple homemade scent killer. Hydrogen peroxide kills the bacteria and fungi that turn sweat into a deer-busting funk, and baking soda deodorizes whatever sneaks by.

What You Need:
3% Hydrogen Peroxide
Distilled Water
Baking Soda
Shampoo
How It's Done
Step 1: Shop
Assemble the ingredients:
2 cups (16 ounces) 3% hydrogen peroxide
2 cups (16 ounces) distilled water
½ cup baking soda
1 ounce unscented shampoo (available at drug or health-food stores)

Step 2: Mix
Gently combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until the baking soda dissolves. Pour this mixture into a 1-gallon lidded container, such as a milk jug. Let it sit for three days with the lid on loosely to allow gases to escape.

Step 3: Bottle
Fill a plastic bottle that has a trigger sprayer with the scent killer. It must be clean, so buy a new one from a hardware store or online (usplastics.com).

Step 4: Wipe
To make scent-killing wipes, place plain brown multifold paper towelsâ€"the kind that come in stacks, not on a rollâ€"in a small plastic tub with an airtight lid. Cover them with scent killer and let it soak in. Pour out excess liquid and replace the lid. Now you can wipe down boots, bows, and stands, and even use a towel or two to neutralize the sweat you produce shinnying up that perfect white oak.

You can go to the article HERE
This seems lots easier that just buying some DDW or
hunting the wind. :bangin:

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is much easier to buy commercial stuff, but it's also much more expensive. I use DDW most of the time now.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny you mention that Whitmore.

That is only because most commercial brands are no more than a baking soda based product much like what we can make at home.

You should try DDW. It isn't baking soda based. It doesn't absorb odor like those products, it kills it. No residue.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dead Down Wind and it can be purchased just about anywhere. Not sure if it is already, but they will have it in WalMart soon as well if it already isn't.

www.deaddownwind.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.