Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering what some of you guys used for your birds...
on my first bird this year i cut a plate of wood off of a log and hung it on that. It loks good but i was wanting to do something different for my second bird.
Any suggestions......?

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Only "suggestion" I got is to make sure you get ALL that yellow fatty stuff at the base of the tail, OFF. If it's not completely removed you'll be waisting your time - it will eventually rot. If it's dry now soak it in some white gas to sofeten it up and use a wire brush attachment for a drill.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Dry it out with a GOOD dose of 20 Mule Team Borax (detergent that you can get at the grocery store in a blue box). I usually dry my fans with it in a dry location for 3-6 months.

If you've already got your first bird (from this year?) on the wall, its probably not fully dried and you will have problems with it.

Parker

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
I use the borax like Parker says, pin the tailfan out flat, spread out, on a piece of cardboard, and coat the "knuckle" with borax. About 2 weeks later, shake out the first coating of borax, and put on a fresh batch...not sure why, just seemed like the thing to do....lol. Works good!!!

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
try cleaning it out real good spread it and pin it. then replace where the meat was with bondo your set for life:cheers:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have been kicking around the idea of using dried mushrooms sprayed with lacquer. I got one in the making. I am just trying to figure out the best way to attach the mushrooms to the fan.
As far as preparation. I use a mixture of salt & Borax after I have scraped as much meat off the quills as I can. Then I pin it out on a piece of card board. About every 2 or 3 days I add more borax/salt. I have only mounted one and used a piece of cedar. I have a stack of fans that I pinned out but never did anything with.

·
5,631 Posts
There are some good instructions on the internet that involve scraping the meat off, rubbing it down real good with Borax and then smothering it with a two part epoxy to seal it up. If it's sealed from the air it can't rot.

Handy tip...Duct tape does not permanently stick to turk feathers. It peels right off without even damaging them. So in a pinch you can use duct tape to keep the fan spread.

As for what I'm gonna do with my tail. Right now it's in the freezer because I haven't had time to do anything with it. But I just bought a plaque from the store. I'll get creative on my next one.

·
19,585 Posts
'Nudder question (while we're on the subject)...

One of the beards I'm gonna mount is starting to fall apart. I was thinking of using some hot glue to fix it before mounting it, but was wondering if anyone does it differently ~ in other words...anyone have a better suggestion?!

·
5,631 Posts
Rick, I'd think that would work just dandy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.