Hog Hunting Ban

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by sandals, Jun 24, 2016.

1. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014

News from the region: Statewide
    Joe JerekJun 24, 2016
    JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – At its meeting on June 24, the Missouri Conservation Commission approved changes to the Wildlife Code of Missouri that would prohibit the hunting of feral hogs on conservation areas and other lands owned, leased, or managed by the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC). The new regulation prohibiting hog hunting on MDC areas does not apply to private property.

The Commission’s decision followed consideration of feedback received during a public comment period on the topic that ended in May. The effective date of the regulation change will be Sept. 30. Potential penalties for illegal hog hunting could include fines and the loss of hunting privileges.

MDC discourages feral hog hunting in Missouri. Research from other states shows that hog hunting increases feral hog numbers and locations because it provides incentives for illegal releases of hogs for future hunting. Releasing hogs to non-enclosed areas or to the wild is illegal in Missouri. MDC encourages the public to report these types of illegal activities to local conservation agents.

Instead of hunting hogs to help reduce their numbers, MDC encourages hunters and others to report feral-hog sightings to their local conservation agents or MDC offices. Staff can then confirm local numbers and locations, and determine how best to capture and eliminate the entire group of feral hogs.

MDC owns or manages about 1,000 conservation areas around the state with about 30 known to have feral hogs, mostly in southern Missouri. According to MDC Wildlife Division Chief Jason Sumners, hog hunting on conservation areas interferes with efforts by MDC staff to trap and eliminate entire groups of feral hogs, called sounders.

"The regulation change prohibiting hog hunting on conservation lands is a direct result of some misguided individuals disrupting trapping efforts by MDC staff," Sumners explained. "MDC staff set large, corral-type traps on areas where there are known feral hogs. They then bait the area with corn for several days or weeks to attract the targeted group of hogs, get them used to the surroundings, and get them concentrated in the trap before triggering it. This work takes weeks, with the goal being to trap the entire group of hogs. After weeks of work to catch the sounder of hogs, we then get an individual who finds out about the site, shows up at some point, and shoots a hog or two. The rest of the group then scatters and moves to a new location. As a result, weeks of work have been wasted and new areas now have feral hogs."

Feral hogs are an invasive, nuisance species in Missouri and are not wildlife. They cause significant damage to wildlife habitats, compete with native wildlife such as deer and turkey for food, prey upon native wildlife such as turkey and quail, destroy natural areas along with agricultural lands, pollute ponds and streams, and spread diseases to domestic livestock and people. For more information on feral hogs, visit the MDC website at mdc.mo.gov/feralhog.

Attached Files:

2. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Funny talk with Guys working for MDC and they know it is a mistake and Guys in Oklahoma are laughing at the stupidity of it.

:D The Big Grin is going to eat on Hog Bones until the end of September.

3. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    This was talked about back in January and February, should have banned it state wide, period....
  4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Now we can see if trapping efforts on public are more fruitful. :eek::
  5. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Abolishing the "incentive" to hunt hogs is the key.. Hopefully national forest lands will follow...
  6. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003

Didn't get the Memo can't hunt them on MTNF either or COE Lands. Or any Public Lands.

:D The Big Grin just go South where Wildlife Managers have common sense.
  7. henry

Wrong. Only ground managed by the mdc
  8. jones

jones Junior Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Correct.... lol
  9. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Nope MDC is over Hunting Regulations on MTNF and COE Lands. Done checked into it.

:D If the Big Grin could she would.
  10. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    MDC Conservation Area are clearly off limits.

Some of the reservoirs with public land around them are owned by COE but managed by MDC. I interpret that as off limits.

National Forest needs clarification. Falls under statewide MDC regulations, but not actively managed by MDC in most cases.

For this plan to work, I feel they need to go statewide. MDC only manages a small percentage of land in this state. Private lands will continue to be a wild west show in some areas. I have to believe, however, that most landowners don't want these feral pigs rooting around on their land. Their attitudes and beliefs will be an unknown variable.
  11. Bob_Veala

Bob_Veala Member

Mar 12, 2016
    All public land that is open to MDC regulations are off limits to hogs. (COE etc)

And I am glad.
  12. henry

You evidently didn't check into it with the right people.

The MDC does not manage all of MTNF nor all of the COE ground.

If what you suggest were true the regulation would simply read it is illegal on all public grounds in the state.

"Feral hogs are an invasive, nuisance species in Missouri and are not wildlife"

As a non wildlife species MDC doesn't have regulatory authority over feral hogs on ground they do not hold in public trust or have management authority thru agreement on.

Hogs will be able to be hunted on public grounds not owned or managed under a management agreement by the MDC until the legislature sets regulations outlawing it on these other lands.

I would look for that to happen in the future if trapping becomes more efficient on MDC ground under the new regulation and if illegal hog releases continue to be a problem. If this happens it will probably be outlawed on all lands except licensed hunting preserves.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  13. henry

The MDC does manage some COE ground . I think the COE ground that they manage is still part of the Conservation area system. You cant tell it from other CA's unless you look up the title.

I think you are right about the need to go state wide. With the support of the MDA and legislature on this as well as the farmers organizations, I think we will see it state wide in the future.
  14. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ok I have been hunting Public Land, COE and MTNF not MDC Areas. Was told by Agent that if I was caught hunting Hogs on any Public Land I could be in serious trouble after September 30.

Ok I have been hunting on MTNF by FLW and North of Pomme de Terre River on COE Land on Truman Lake. MDC is Trapping both areas.

But same Agent told me they had eradicated the Hogs where I have been hunting but I went in there and Hog numbers are same as always :confused:

:D The Big Grin is eating more Squirrel.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I love it when some people are shown to be incorrect that they claim an agent told them otherwise. :rolleyes:
  16. vonfatman

vonfatman Member

Dec 31, 2006
    We shall see after clarification from MDC. I hope they (MDC) goes with whichever regulations does the best job of reducing these critters.

However, I do not expect MDC to perform on this issue any better than they performed on CWD.

Sorry, I'm from the "Show Me" state.

DCSarchette likes this.
  17. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Well I know Guys that work for MDC and don't agree with what they are doing.

Guys in Oklahoma can now use Night Vision, the people there can't believe how Backwards the MDC is on this.

:D The Big Grin knows people in Oklahoma.
  18. henry

Oklahoma has a serious problem and its getting worse not better. I don't believe the state runs a trapping operation to combat them. Trapping is done by the usda and private landowners.

They have passed regulations as recently as this year to try and increase removal, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Why in the world would our managers worry about people ineffectively dealing with that mess making fun of our efforts???
  19. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    You have so much negative on Feral Hog hunting in the state of Missouri. I'm just wondering how many days a year you dedicate to hunting them? Or how much hands on experience you have dealing with them?

If you have none on both how do you figure you can have anything to say that means anything of substance?

:D :scared:
  20. henry

I don't want them here to hunt. I can have something of substance to say because the self proclaimed experts on hog hunting have already failed miserably at keeping them in check or eliminating them . Oklahoma hog hunters have failed so miserably they now estimate the hogs have exceeded a million there. They are in every county in that state. And they supposedly know more about it than Missouri's hog hunters.:D