his first rabbit hunt

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by bigjohn, Oct 28, 2010.

1. bigjohn

bigjohn Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Marshall,Mo
    Worked with my grandson on moving targets tonight and he has gotten to the point I think he's ready to try rabbits.:2thumbsup:He has gone with me to run dogs but has never been on a hunt.Like to see him get one,:praying:but he knows that hunting doesn't always mean game in the bag.He loves to hear the beagles almost as much as I do.:cheers:

2. mainstreet

mainstreet Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Fenton
    Hope he gets one as well. Always fun to see a youngster get excited like that. Good luck.

3. bigjohn

bigjohn Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Marshall,Mo
    It didn't work out for him today.He got to see the rabbits a few times,but not for very long.He still needs to work on getting his gun up quicker:)Ikept putting in the rabbits paths,but they just wouldn't stay out where he could get a shot.

4. mainstreet

mainstreet Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Fenton
    Well I'm sure he will get it. I know another guy who needs to work on shooting:whistle: Missed two today. My pup did a little better today. She ran three, one she did real well. She is still losing their scent after a whilr. Any advice?

5. bigjohn

bigjohn Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Marshall,Mo
    Well,I don't know if it's as dry there as it is here but that doesn't help with scenting conditions.We went out again this morning and the boy did get a shot but missed.He had a 20ga. pump and I forgot to have him load two shells instead of one.After the shot I told him to take my 20 and I didn't have a shell in the barrel.Well the rabbit gets to live another day lol.