Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Accident to me means no fault and has no intent. One should POSITIVELY identify what you are shooting at before pulling the trigger. Failure to do so is not an accident.

Reactions: Skduckhunt

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,825 Posts
To best of my knowledge.... Weldon Spring never closed the Lewis & Clark trail during managed hunts. Never has, but that could change now if they want to continue to do the managed hunts. All because some knucklehead took a shot at something they "THOUGHT" was a turkey. You should never even have your finger on the trigger if you cannot POSITIVELY identify your target. While Turkey hunting, this means identifying your target as a Legal Turkey, not just a turkey. The only way this is an accident, is if the hunter was shooting at a legal turkey, and the jogger just happened to be in the background and not easily visible........ Mistaking a human being as a wild turkey is not an acceptable excuse.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Accident to me means no fault and has no intent. One should POSITIVELY identify what you are shooting at before pulling the trigger. Failure to do so is not an accident.
Avoidable accident - un avoidable accident - accident caused by negligence . There are more than one type accident and this seems to be one caused by negligence . Evidently the authorities didn't feel it was alcohol , drug or anger related because according to the witness they let him hold onto his gun while they carried the victim out .

·
Under appreciated
88,056 Posts
The guy intended to pull the trigger, thats obvious. He also didn’t positively identify the target, we all agree there.
Did he intend to shoot a person?

Nobody but the hunter is responsible for pulling the trigger. He aimed, he shot... not like something got under the trigger guard and there was an accidental discharge. Nobody is disputing that.
But, unless he knew 100% that what he was shooting at was a person, he didn’t shoot that person on purpose. If he knew it was a person and shot anyway, he’d be locked up for attempted murder.

As many people bad mouth the MDC on here, I’m surprised that people dont at least have questions about either why they allowed hunting in such close proximity to a well used trail OR why they allowed people to continue to use a well used trail when there are hunters in close proximity. I’ve been called an MDC fanboy, but I have serious questions for the department about this.

·
13,611 Posts
Do we know the whole story on what took place?

I know if I saw the sign at the trail head I would go somewhere else to walk or run.

Reactions: 90acres

·
Registered
22,019 Posts
  1. To best of my knowledge.... Weldon Spring never closed the Lewis & Clark trail during managed hunts. Never has, but that could change now if they want to continue to do the managed hunts. All because some knucklehead took a shot at something they "THOUGHT" was a turkey. You should never even have your finger on the trigger if you cannot POSITIVELY identify your target. While Turkey hunting, this means identifying your target as a Legal Turkey, not just a turkey. The only way this is an accident, is if the hunter was shooting at a legal turkey, and the jogger just happened to be in the background and not easily visible........ Mistaking a human being as a wild turkey is not an acceptable excuse.

2. pretty sure that is the story, he shoot at a flushed bird

·
Registered
22,019 Posts
The guy intended to pull the trigger, thats obvious. He also didn’t positively identify the target, we all agree there.
Did he intend to shoot a person?

Nobody but the hunter is responsible for pulling the trigger. He aimed, he shot... not like something got under the trigger guard and there was an accidental discharge. Nobody is disputing that.
But, unless he knew 100% that what he was shooting at was a person, he didn’t shoot that person on purpose. If he knew it was a person and shot anyway, he’d be locked up for attempted murder.

As many people bad mouth the MDC on here, I’m surprised that people dont at least have questions about either why they allowed hunting in such close proximity to a well used trail OR why they allowed people to continue to use a well used trail when there are hunters in close proximity. I’ve been called an MDC fanboy, but I have serious questions for the department about this.
Unless the hunter meant to shoot the hiker, it was 100% an accident!!! IMO, when any managed hunts are going in the parks, they should be closed to the general public.

·
Registered
22,019 Posts
I can't seem to find any updates of the condition of the individual. The hunter was 58 years old.

·
1,212 Posts
A lot of assuming going on here even from me. Either way the shooter probably feels like crap or any normal person would when shooting someone unintentionally. It's a horrible situation. I get a list of every accident that happens in a given year, tho mdc has not given me the stats from last year. Less than a dozen or 2 accidents happen yearly in MO. It's mostly poor choices that lead to accidents and many are self inflicted. Both should feel stupid for making poor choices but only one pulled the trigger. Most likely no charges will be filed on the hunter imo amd shouldn't. He might get sued but that would be the worse that should happen to them.

Reactions: 20'

·
Under appreciated
88,056 Posts
To best of my knowledge.... Weldon Spring never closed the Lewis & Clark trail during managed hunts. Never has, but that could change now if they want to continue to do the managed hunts. All because some knucklehead took a shot at something they "THOUGHT" was a turkey. You should never even have your finger on the trigger if you cannot POSITIVELY identify your target. While Turkey hunting, this means identifying your target as a Legal Turkey, not just a turkey. The only way this is an accident, is if the hunter was shooting at a legal turkey, and the jogger just happened to be in the background and not easily visible........ Mistaking a human being as a wild turkey is not an acceptable excuse.
I dont think anyone is suggesting that it is some excuse.
If everyone was perfect at identifying legal game, you would never hear "i meant to shoot a doe and effed up and shot a BB"... not that this is illegal or anything.

Anyway, correctumundo... finger shouldnt have been on the trigger until legal game was in sight with a clear shot. I havent seen anyone here say that the hunter did anything but f uck up. All I am saying is I think there is more liability than just the hunter. I think the MDC might have some liability if people were allowed into a hunting area.
For me, two things.
A. Hunter 100% at fault. He is the only one who pulled the trigger, and he did that on purpose but not with the intent to kill a person.
B. MDC isnt off the hook in my mind.

·
Registered
22,019 Posts
again, I belive the hunter correctly identified his target and shot as it flushed.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts