Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I usually don’t weigh in on these threads anymore because it only contributes to why this site sucks these days, but this was 100% the hunters fault. Signs posted at the trailheads for the hikers to see or not, hunters fault no matter how you look at it.
I don't think anyone is saying it's not the Hunter fault. He definitely should be charged with some type of crime, manslaughter or something . If a drunk driver runs over a jogger who is running down the middle of the road the driver is at fault and should be charged . That don't mean you would not be stupid to jog down the middle of the highway though . Often people jog or ride bikes through special hunts to protest . No matter why he was there it could have been kids exploring who didn't enter where the signs were placed or another hunter . We all are in agreement in that the shooter was neglegent , stupid and should be charged with a crime .

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I’m glad I have private land to hunt. I’m not sure I would hunt Busch wildlife area if that was the only place left to hunt.

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
Idiot shot a jogger. All for a dumb turkey.

It's scary how many idiots there are with guns out there....

This is why theres no way in hell I'd ever step foot on public ground during a firearm season
. Too many idiots. Hunters in general are not known to be the brightest ...
You can bet there are same percentages of idiots hunting private ground

·
Registered
734 Posts
I got to tell you, I have dove hunted some public grounds in Texas where the hunters outnumber the doves a hundred to one, no accidents. I am confident to say most hunters are fairly responsible people in my opinion, not idiots by any means. But obviously, there are a few.

Reactions: justindh1

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
I’ve never been to that area but I cant believe they dont limit access to areas where there is hunting, or limit hunting access to areas where there is a lot of foot traffic. These hunts are short, right? Not like people would be limited either way for very long.
Unfortunately, one group or the other will have to compromise in the future as I dont see the MDC allowing something like this to happen and not doing something about it in the future.
It’s a shame, prayers to the victim and the shooter. @justindh1 gave a pretty good account of how scary a potential accident like that can be for the hunter.

Reactions: Bryan Heimann

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Idiot shot a jogger. All for a dumb turkey.

It's scary how many idiots there are with guns out there....

This is why theres no way in hell I'd ever step foot on public ground during a firearm season
. Too many idiots. Hunters in general are not known to be the brightest ...
You said idiot three times and for some reason it looks like that word just comes naturally to you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You said idiot three times and for some reason it looks like that word just comes naturally to you.
Yes, idiot /moron/mentally deficient are all synonyms.

I typically use words not appropriate for this forum to describe an imbecile that would pull the trigger on a target without confirming its species first.

If you want to back a ******* like this, go ahead. He isnt getting any sympathy from me.

Accidents like this just shouldn't happen. Period.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You can bet there are same percentages of idiots hunting private ground
Good point.

My only personal experience was when I drew a public dove shoot a few years ago. One guy had a couch cushion ductaped to his shoulder and to put it nicely some of the hunters were a few cards short of a deck. A fight broke out when some guys got peppered with shot from a low flying bird.

Couple Guys even drinking before and after the hunt in the parking lot.

Personally, I'm amazed but thankful there aren't more hunting accidents .

Its crap like this that puts our rights in jeopardy.
For example, Some areas dont allow trapping any longer bc some dumb ace set a conibear trap next to a roadway where dog walkers frequent. Guess what, it killed a dog. Bye bye trapping all because of this one moron.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good point.

My only personal experience was when I drew a public dove shoot a few years ago. One guy had a couch cushion ductaped to his shoulder and to put it nicely some of the hunters were a few cards short of a deck. A fight broke out when some guys got peppered with shot from a low flying bird.

Couple Guys even drinking before and after the hunt in the parking lot.

Personally, I'm amazed but thankful there aren't more hunting accidents .

Its crap like this that puts our rights in jeopardy.
For example, Some areas dont allow trapping any longer bc some dumb ace set a conibear trap next to a roadway where dog walkers frequent. Guess what, it killed a dog. Bye bye trapping all because of this one moron.
If you observe someone driving drunk do you call the police and give them there tag / location or just hope they don't kill someone ? If you see someone drunk and getting ready to go shoot / hunt do you call the cops/warden or just hope they don't shoot someone ? Both are equally as dangerous and against the law .

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Accidents can and will happen and I’m sure the Hunter was inexperienced. I could see someone like myself that started turkey hunting 35 years ago and go a few years without killing a turkey and peer pressure from your friends that have already killed a turkey, I could see jumping the gun and pulling the trigger. But I’m much older now and I don’t have to kill one anymore like way back when I first started hunting.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Best to get that first hiker out of the way early on in your hunting. Once you get some experience in the woods you have fewer and fewer excuses.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Can't call this an "accident". Shooter made a conscious decision to take the safety off, aim, and pull the trigger at a target he had not positively identified. Not like the gun fell over and discharged with the safety on.

Reactions: Skduckhunt

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Yes, idiot /moron/mentally deficient are all synonyms.

I typically use words not appropriate for this forum to describe an imbecile that would pull the trigger on a target without confirming its species first.

If you want to back a *** like this, go ahead. He isnt getting any sympathy from me.

Accidents like this just shouldn't happen. Period.
I'm not backing what this guy did. He made a huge mistake, shouldnt have happened.

Calling all other hunters "not the brightest" is my issue with your assessment of the deal.

Hunters in general are not known to be the brightest ...

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Can't call this an "accident". Shooter made a conscious decision to take the safety off, aim, and pull the trigger at a target he had not positively identified. Not like the gun fell over and discharged with the safety on.
Yes, he pulled the trigger on purpose.
The accident was mis-identifying the target.

Its not like he saw a person and formulated a plan to commit murder.

I'm not defending the guy, it shouldnt have happened. But the only other description of what happened other than accident is attempted murder. I think thats what they mean by using the word "accident" in situations like this.
Its unfortunate.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Be aware of your target and what’s beyond, right? “ i shot high” don’t save you

Reactions: Skduckhunt and 20'

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
The Army COE disabled deer hunt at Smithville Lake has incidents of people using the closed trails almost every year. There are signs about a managed firearms hunt absolutely EVERYWHERE.
Not sure if it's true, but I've heard the hunter was swinging on a flying bird when he shot the hiker. This sure sounds like a lesser experienced hunter to me, but absolutely not justifying what happened by any means. At the end of the day, it's a tragic situation that is/was 100% avoidable.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts