Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Lunch break commander
8,313 Posts
Wow. No excuse. You can't possibly be sure it's a turkey let alone a bearded Turkey if you mistake a human for one

Reactions: pinwheel and MO-APE

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wow. No excuse. You can't possibly be sure it's a turkey let alone a bearded Turkey if you mistake a human for one
This. And a shotguns effective range isn't all that far compared to that of a rifle.... So to me that suggests that the victim should have been close enough for a positive ID.

I really can't fathom how 'hunting accidents' really happen... One of the cardinal rules is 'know your target and what's beyond it'.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Idiot shot a jogger. All for a dumb turkey.

It's scary how many idiots there are with guns out there....

This is why theres no way in hell I'd ever step foot on public ground during a firearm season
. Too many idiots. Hunters in general are not known to be the brightest ...

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
You mean Karen? Lol

But in all seriousness, that IS a rather broad brush to paint people with. While there are yahoos out there that shouldn't be hunting, maybe even shouldn't be around firearms, but I think it's safe to say a decent majority are responsible and follow the cardinal rules...
Nancy as in Pelosi.....Last I checked..... Karen isn’t a gun control advocate......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Idiot shot a jogger. All for a dumb turkey.

It's scary how many idiots there are with guns out there....

This is why theres no way in hell I'd ever step foot on public ground during a firearm season
. Too many idiots. Hunters in general are not known to be the brightest ...
Two idiots,the jogger knew he was in an area where a hunt was being carried out and chose to jog through the area with out regard to the hunters nor his own safety.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Why is hunting even allowed in public access places, and if hunting is allowed in public access places why aren't joggers and hikers and bikers blocked access during such hunts.
I looked at the picture and see no proper blockage or taped off trail access, so everyone shares the blame. Should be pointing the finger first at the County or Municipality that controls the area.
Sorry to the family and the hiker for what they will be going through.
Sorry to the hunter (I'm one as well) for the trouble he's in, but we all know you don't pull a trigger until you're sure.
Hope this allows for changes to a broken system.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I dont see how jogger is to blame. I would expect 90% of population has no idea there is a spring turkey season. There are hard core 100 mile racers who run races off road, would assume you would train in same sort of places. Unless there are lots of signs warning spring turkey season in progress, then it was a poor idea. Could just have easily been a mushroom hunter or walk in pond fisherman.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Why is hunting even allowed in public access places, and if hunting is allowed in public access places why aren't joggers and hikers and bikers blocked access during such hunts.
I looked at the picture and see no proper blockage or taped off trail access, so everyone shares the blame. Should be pointing the finger first at the County or Municipality that controls the area.
Sorry to the family and the hiker for what they will be going through.
Sorry to the hunter (I'm one as well) for the trouble he's in, but we all know you don't pull a trigger until you're sure.
Hope this allows for changes to a broken system.
I got drawn for this hunt about 15 years ago when i was in my early 20's. I got on a bird that was gobbling good and snuck into a ridge on top of him and set up. He gobbled great and was working his way up the hill to me. He went quiet about 100 yds out. I thought he was coming for sure. About 5 minutes later i see a red head bobbing through the brush. I have the bead on him waiting for him to close the distance and clear the brush when i hear voices. The bobbing red head quickly turned into a young boy with his sister and parents shortly behind him. It scared the ever living **** out of me. I didn't "almost" pull the trigger, but i was definitely leveled down on a kid at 40 or 50 yds. I swore off public land turkey hunting at that point.

With that being said, this is still 100 percent the shooter's fault. But, in my opinion, this hunt shouldn't take place unless the area is closed to everyone else. It can and obviously does create dangerous situations.

·
1,184 Posts
Public access ground is just that, public access. Unless they decide to close it out then it is what it is. They don't close out MDC conservation or MTNF areas from hikers or anyone else and yet you see gun hunting accidents being pretty low for the number of people in the woods. This situation was all the hunters fault no matter how you look at it. No knowing what you're shooting at is the hunters obligation. The person with the finger on the trigger is to blame no matter how stupid the jogger is or isn't.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I dont see how jogger is to blame. I would expect 90% of population has no idea there is a spring turkey season. There are hard core 100 mile racers who run races off road, would assume you would train in same sort of places. Unless there are lots of signs warning spring turkey season in progress, then it was a poor idea. Could just have easily been a mushroom hunter or walk in pond fisherman.
The article says there were signs where he entered

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Certain Conservation Areas ARE closed to the general public during managed hunts. Absolutely no reason that parts of Busch/Weldon Spring couldn’t be closed until 1PM for the general public, especially the hiking and bike trails.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I'm not sure why the MDC doesn't close the area where there managed hunts occur (turkey & deer, Forest 44 hunts are open to hikers as well). They are supposed to be all about the safety and security of their areas. The CA's that I have hunted are closed from 10:00pm to 5 or 6:00am to keep people out, why not during managed hunts?
Everyone that I saw interviewed on the news report said "they shouldn't have hunting where people hike trails".
My perspective is that if you have the hunt, you shut down the hikers. Simple fix, except for all the liberal lawsuits that would take place.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,768 Posts
I know they closed Columbia Bottom during the youth shotgun season for deer. Yeah I know slugs versus pellets. But they can close it if they choose.

·
13,514 Posts
The article says there were signs where he entered
On TV they show the signs at the trail heads....
I have hunted Busch wildlife numerous times during archery season, always bikers and joggers and the high school track team let alone the dog trails going on at the same time

·
Registered
734 Posts
A 2 ounce load of lead #4, and a full choke, is deadly for a lot more than turkeys. The new tungsten shells are even more so. You have to think, #4 TSS is comparable to lead BB’s or maybe even T shot. It’s got some range. Even the 9’s they load in turkey shells can reach out and touch something. Not comparable to slugs, but we have come a long long way.

If you think public hunting is the problem,are you ready to exclude that many from hunting? And probably shot down new comers altogether. Remember 30 years ago we all had a place, of some sort, to go. Missouri is still that way and I am grateful.

But that close to St Louis, I don’t know.

Any place that close to a metro area like St Louis should be closed for the hunt.

I still blame the hunter. Bad judgement. Should not be allowed to hunt again. That was dumb, joggers are not hiding in the woods.

That near to Saint Louis, shooting at birds on the ground, I don’t think it will be the last time if they don’t close the area while hunts are taking place.

Reactions: 20' and MO-APE
1 - 20 of 51 Posts