Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back You told me to buy remedy or pasture guard to spray my scercia lespadeza in my crp. What is the active ingrediant. I thought I had seen pasture guard in Orchlens, but I was wrong. They did have pasture something, but it had no mention of lespadeza. This stuff listed common lespadeza. I went ahead & bought it because it did have directions for basil bark treatment. Got a lot of locust. Girdleing seemed to work, but after reading your post about that, I noticed the trees I thought were dead, are now coming back to life.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
PastureGard is only available under the trade name PastureGard...

Well, what you bought is Dicamba (Banvel), 2,4-D ( 2 forms), and Trimec....dont bother to use it on sericea....can you return it?

Your basal work will be better and cheaper...with Remedy plus diesel...you mix 1 part remedy to 3 parts diesel and spray the lower 15 inches of the tree trunk

Your sericea is 1-2% PastureGard in water...or 2 pints/acre broadcast.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate the answers here. I will be taking the other stuff Back tomorrow & picking up a gallon of pasture guard. I'll probably wait till the leaves fall to attack the locusts. I really appreciate the phone call. It's nice to have someone who speaks my language to explain how this stuff works.

Any real good suggestions for keeping reed canary grass under control? My plan. I've been spraying every bit of it I see with roundup. Most of my open ground has at least 60% bottom ground that holds moisture in the wet season. I'll be signing everything I can into cp33 & the remainder will be food plots. I plan to section them off divisible by 3. Year 1, plant plot A annual, plot B plant perinial (clover/alfalfa)& cereal grain, plot C disc & let grow natural vegetation. Year 2 allow plot A to grow into natural vegetation, plot B do nothing, plot Cburn & plant annual. Year 3 Plot A perinial, plot B annual, plot C let grow into natural vegetation.

I'm hoping that by tilling at least every 3rd year, I can keep some of the invasives in check.

Again, I appreciate you giving me a call. Enjoy your retirement.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,454 Posts
We've been working on locust trees on the farm I hunt for quite some time. They are everywhere! We usually cut down the smaller ones and put RTU on them. The bigger ones we girdle them with the chain saw and squirk some RTU in the area just cut. So far it's killing them. It's just a pain in the :***: to get to them sometimes.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Try this for your locust trees: use a 1/2" cordless drill with an auger bit on it. I use a 5/8" bit (you can use a smaller capacity drill just use a smaller bit). Find a place where you can slip in-between the low hanging branches and drill a hole into the trunk at a slight downward angle then take some Tordon and fill the hole with it. I use Tordon and water 50/50 in a 1 gal pump sprayer with just enough pressure pumped in the unit to facilitate the liquid coming out the end of the nozzle when I squeeze the applicator handle...this prevents the chemical from squirting all over the place (like in your eyes or on your clothing or skin...wear rubber gloves). Generally a one hole application is all it takes to kill a tree. No cutting it down or having to screw with the thorny limbs on the ground. It dies standing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.