Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Steve would it be possible for you to post some pic's and dimension's of your muskrat float's?????????? PLEASEEEEEE :cheers: :praying:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
good question. id like to see that too.

i have seen a lot of float pics on trapperman.com. lot of folks use carrots and corn on em, and i have seen some really ingenius creations.

let's see what's cheap easy and works!

·
Registered
795 Posts
I will when i get home tonight......I just painted them, so they look kind of purty :D

I am hoping the paint helps to seal the cedar I used because after about 4-5 days they didn't stay afloat like I wanted them too..

It was fun trapping them critters a different way!

·
Registered
795 Posts
oh and the best bait for me was half an ear of corn with some Carman Hudson Seal No. 1 lure....I did try apples, carrots...oh and I forgot bait once and used mint chewing gum that I was chewing on...it actually worked on 1 rat.

I think the eye appeal of something different floating around is what draws them in. After 2-3 days the catch rate drops dramatically.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Here are the pics....it is 2 feet long....the uprights are 2x6 just wide enough to fit a 1.5 coil spring. i used finish nails to hold the trap in place until it fired. The bait goes obviously in the middle under the wire. I also put cattails along the edge of the trap throughout the wire and put weeds over the top, to help keep the birds from seeing the corn. The traps end up about 2 inches under water and the bait is at water level.

[file]94183[/file]

[file]94185[/file]

[file]94187[/file]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm suprised :eek: :eek: :whistle: you caught anything with them old duke trap's :rof2: :rof2: :cheers:!! Thanks for the pic's Steve are the nail's next to the lever's to stabilize?????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.