hey marshallgrn or and other roofers

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by ryanlowe02, Jun 3, 2009.

1. ryanlowe02

ryanlowe02 Sexual Intellectual

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    whats your alls opinion on putting a layer of shingles over and existing layer of shingles? i mean i have few bad shingles that were damaged by a storm and i dont really feel like tearing off older shingles

2. Gakic24

Gakic24 Well-Known Member

How many layer is there already? your only going to do a few or the whole roof?

3. Joeyman

Joeyman Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    St. Louis Mo
    what i want to know is how do you start the first layer of shingles?

4. Gakic24

Gakic24 Well-Known Member

[rquote=1285310&tid=89900&author=Joeyman]what i want to know is how do you start the first layer of shingles?[/rquote]

I think from the gutters up...

5. Joeyman

Joeyman Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    St. Louis Mo
    no how u lay em out. do you over lap them? bout 6"

6. Hunter79

Hunter79 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Maywood, MO
    You CAN put a layer on another layer. The only thing is that there is a better chance of it leaking the more layers you have. I sure wouldn't put more than one layer on another layer though. Also, if you're using three tab shingles, I wouldn't layer them at all. They're not a very good shingle to use. The best you can use are architectural shingles. They're a tad higher, but worth it IMHO.

Joey, you buy what they call a starter strip and put that on first, then start laying shingles.

7. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    [rquote=1285316&tid=89900&author=Hunter79]You CAN put a layer on another layer. The only thing is that there is a better chance of it leaking the more layers you have. I sure wouldn't put more than one layer on another layer though. Also, if you're using three tab shingles, I wouldn't layer them at all. They're not a very good shingle to use. The best you can use are architectural shingles. They're a tad higher, but worth it IMHO.

Joey, you buy what they call a starter strip and put that on first, then start laying shingles.[/rquote]

+1:cheers:

8. ryanlowe02

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    well i was thinking the whole roof, i have probably 3 spots that the shingles got damaged and i had heard before that layering them up isnt impossible.

the roof only has one layer now

9. ryanlowe02

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    3 tab is the cheapest but i shouldnt use it ??

10. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    Ryan are you just wanting to overlay your whole roof with new shingles?

11. ryanlowe02

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    [rquote=1285325&tid=89900&author=hillbilly]Ryan are you just wanting to overlay your whole roof with new shingles?[/rquote]yes pretty much

12. Doubleshot75

Doubleshot75 Active Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Heck.... I think my house has 3-4 layers :boohoo:

Just waitin' for a good hail storm :bored:

13. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    [rquote=1285323&tid=89900&author=ryanlowe02]3 tab is the cheapest but i shouldnt use it ??[/rquote]

I'd tear the thing off myself and put down new 30 ld felt, drip edge and 30 yr hi-def shingles such as GAF/ELK

14. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    for a layover you do not need a starter strip just align your layover course even with your bottom edge of your existing shingles, then on your second row but the top of the shingle up to the bottom of the row above it, you will have a narrow shingle strip along the bottom but then you can just butt and run the rest of the roof and it will be so much faster, if you have any old shingles curled up you may want to cut them off just so your new roof lays flat

15. Hunter79

Hunter79 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Maywood, MO
    3 tab is an OK shingle but I WOULD NOT LAYER IT. They're just not a great shingle and like I said earlier the more layers you have the more places there is for your roof to leak. 3 tabs just don't seal down as well as the architectural shingle does IMO. If I was goin to tear them off, use 3 tabs if you want to. If not, I'd go with architectural. But that's just me, I know there are some ppl that layer 3 tabs as well. Just my .02.

16. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    do not use 3 tab shingles

17. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    Have you had any hail say in the last 2 yrs. to your roof?

18. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    If ya just have a couple places just replace those if the rest is good
    I have no problem with 2 layers long as they are not curled up real bad,have ya considered a metal roof,seein a lot of em

19. ryanlowe02

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    [rquote=1285334&tid=89900&author=hillbilly]Have you had any hail say in the last 2 yrs. to your roof?[/rquote]possible, but not for sure only owned it a year

20. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    [rquote=1285339&tid=89900&author=ryanlowe02][rquote=1285334&tid=89900&author=hillbilly]Have you had any hail say in the last 2 yrs. to your roof?[/rquote]possible, but not for sure only owned it a year [/rquote]

Climb on your roof and check it for hail hits, If you have 10 hits in a 10x10 area you can get a new roof threw your homeowners ins.:cheers:Or let me know and the next time i'm out your way I'll look at it for you:cheers:Free to:D