Hey Cummins, Boddington says your Tikka Swede is obsolete in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by callaojoe, Nov 4, 2010.

1. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Cummins ain't a gonna like this, Craig Boddington says, we can live without the 6.5x55 Swede..... OMG, such sacrilege....

Cartridges we can Live without <== Link to article.

He didn't even mention the 6.5x284 norma.... So, is it ok for me to still want one?:rof2:

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

News like this could crush Cummins.....He will lie down kicking and screaming after reading that!!!:D:wave:

3. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1879540&tid=130910&author=FiremanBrad]News like this could crush Cummins.....He will lie down kicking and screaming after reading that!!!:D:wave:[/rquote]

If Boddington says it... It must be true.:D

:rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2:

4. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I do agree on one point though...:shrug:

I think the .260 Remington cartridge is about to experience a boom in popularity, especially as it is offered in more and more AR platforms.:thinking:

It really is an Excellent Whitetail cartridge......:2thumbsup:

5. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Normally I would say that Boddington is a tool. But, in this case I believe he is right. :D

6. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Oh, he hit me with several of my favorites! Let's get a rope!

7. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Looks like I am safe with my desire to purchase a 6.5x284.... Whew!:D

"The .284 Winchester should also go. It hasn't been chambered in a production rifle for many years, and anything it was capable of doing has now been superceded by Remington's new 7mm Short Action Ultra Mag. Its primary value has been as an interesting case for wildcatting but Norma has fixed that with brass for cartridges such as the 6.5/.284."

At least he didn't want to take my .280 Remington away....:cheers:

BTW Rat... He says the only quarterbore he would keep, is the 25-06. So, you are good to go too....:claphands:

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Well, its quite a relief to get Craigs blessing... I can rest easy now. :D

9. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    Boddington shows he's a tool. I would suggest to him the 30-06 should probably be obsolete as well.

10. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1880301&tid=130910&author=cummins5.9]Boddington shows he's a tool. I would suggest to him the 30-06 should probably be obsolete as well.[/rquote]

Why aren't you hunting....:stickfight:

11. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

I can't read the article at work, but I tend to agree that there are other cartridges that will do the same thing better with cheaper and more available ammunition (in this country at least).

In fact the 6.5x55 has been essentially obsolete since the 1920's because of the 270. It's the closest cartridge to the swede because of it's wide variety of bullet weights, the fact the velocity is great with every bullet, and the 270 is far more established on the retail market today.

12. wolffire99

wolffire99 New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    The fact that the 6.5mm swede has been around this long is a testament to how important sectional density is to bullet design.

13. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    I do have one of Boddington's books and man, I gotta quit reading that thing.....Let's just say if I won the lottery I'd be on a year long or longer safari. :D

14. Moparpwr

Moparpwr Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Albany, Missouri
    According to Boddington there is only the 30-06 and nothing else matters. I have seen him talk about using the 30-06 for bears and then say another 30 caliber that is actually faster is barely marginal. Everyone has their favorite rounds but seriously he is not objective at all.