Hey cshoff

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Gakic24, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Gakic24

Gakic24 Active Member

What are your thoughts on a Ruger LCR .38??

Or a good hammerless revolver for the wife?:cheers:

2. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    s&w 642

they have a stiff trigger because of lack of a saftey but man i wish id kept mine

triggers get better with time

sure is a nice little packable gun though
    and for a close range self defence stub nose cant beat it for what it was made for

3. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    [rquote=1862573&tid=129698&author=Gakic24]What are your thoughts on a Ruger LCR .38??

Or a good hammerless revolver for the wife?:cheers:[/rquote]

My "thoughts" on the LCR are limited. I've handled one, but have not shot one. Felt like a nice, light revolver in the hand, and the first-hand accounts I've heard from folks who have shot them were all pretty good.

Nothing at all wrong with a revolver for defensive carry. Hard to argue with the inherent reliability of the platform. That said, what does your wife want? What are HER thoughts on a carry gun?

My wife picked out and bought a Kahr CW9 last week. Her decision from start to finish, and I was proud of the way she went about choosing it by doing some research on the effectiveness of various calibers and doing apples to apples comparisons on other makes and models she had an interest in.

4. Gakic24

Gakic24 Active Member

[rquote=1862598&tid=129698&author=cshoff][rquote=1862573&tid=129698&author=Gakic24]What are your thoughts on a Ruger LCR .38??

Or a good hammerless revolver for the wife?:cheers:[/rquote]

My "thoughts" on the LCR are limited. I've handled one, but have not shot one. Felt like a nice, light revolver in the hand, and the first-hand accounts I've heard from folks who have shot them were all pretty good.

Nothing at all wrong with a revolver for defensive carry. Hard to argue with the inherent reliability of the platform. That said, what does your wife want? What are HER thoughts on a carry gun?

My wife picked out and bought a Kahr CW9 last week. Her decision from start to finish, and I was proud of the way she went about choosing it by doing some research on the effectiveness of various calibers and doing apples to apples comparisons on other makes and models she had an interest in. [/rquote]

Is there anything wrong with carrying a semi-auto in her purse? I just worry any it jammimg if she was ever to shoot through her purse, thats why I whought about the revolver..

SHe loves my XD-9, shoots and handles it well..

5. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I'd suggest a pocket holster of some sort, to use inside the purse! DeSantis makes a good one, that I use for my G27.....And no, I don't use a purse or manbag...lol!!!!:cheers::wave:

6. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    [rquote=1863279&tid=129698&author=Gakic24]
    Is there anything wrong with carrying a semi-auto in her purse? I just worry any it jammimg if she was ever to shoot through her purse, thats why I whought about the revolver..

SHe loves my XD-9, shoots and handles it well..[/rquote]

I'm assuming you mean an actual holster purse that has a compartment specifically made for a gun, and not just a regular purse?

Yes, if you shoot a semi-auto handgun from inside a holster purse, there is a very real possibility that after the first shot, the gun will be jammed with material from the purse or a spent casing, or it will fail to completely cycle the action altogether. With a hammerless revolver, that's generally not a concern.

Personally, I don't care for off-body carry at all, ESPECIALLY for my wife. Consider this; under normal circumstances, your wife may carry her keys, some cash, credit cards, her ID, and perhaps some other assorted items in her purse. If a 6' 4", 255 pound attacker comes up and grabs her purse, all that she has to do is let it go and get away.

Now, let's say she throws a loaded gun into the mix. Now, when the same 6' 4", 255 pound attacker comes up to grab her purse, she's going to have to fight him for it or risk him using her loaded gun on her and on other innocent people who might be around. Not a very good situation for your wife to be in.

A purse, a briefcase, or other "unattached" bag is already a likely target for a would-be thief. No need to throw a loaded gun into the mix as a "bonus" for him. If your wife insists on off-body carry, I'd say a fanny pack, made specifically for carrying a gun, and worn on the front of the body, is the most secure method. I would see if you could find her a comfortable IWB holster that she could wear either strong side, cross draw, or appendix carry; whichever position she preferred.

Also, keep in mind that drawing a handgun from a purse, a fanny pack, or some other kind of bag is ENTIRELY different than drawing from a holster and requires it's own unique draw method; something that must be trained and then meticulously practiced in order to master. And if she carries in a purse, she will NEVER be able to set the purse in a shopping cart or leave it unattended anywhere for even a moment. It absolutely needs to be under her control at all times.

There are a lot of things to consider about off-body carry, for sure. I'd recommend her taking a long, hard look at the "pros" and "cons" before she makes a decision.

7. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    [rquote=1863366&tid=129698&author=FiremanBrad]And no, I don't use a purse or manbag...[/rquote]

It's a satchel. Indiana Jones had one... :smiley:

8. cash50

cash50 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    St. Chuck
    /\ /\ /\ very nice thh058, very nice.

9. buckwacker181

buckwacker181 # of bans record holder

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    Ruger LCR is a fine weapon. The trigger is far superior to any Smith snubbie I have ever shot. I highly recommend it.