Hey Bulletman!

Discussion in 'Reloading Tips & Tricks' started by vipershooter, Sep 11, 2017.

1. vipershooter

vipershooter Active Member

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    Do you know anything about starline 6.5 creedmoor brass? Pros vs cons on primer pocket size?(Sr vs Lr)

Cabelas has an savage 12fv on sale for $319 with $100 visa card from savage. I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks in advance!

2. vipershooter

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    Anyone try starline rifle brass?

3. bulletman

bulletman Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sedalia
    Sorry Viper, just now saw this. I have worked with some of the Starline brass, and some of it extensively. It is what i call good brass. I would rate it as better in quality and longevity than Remington or Winchester both, not quite as good as Norma or Lapua but then it doesnt cost like those two do. I have fired it up to 30 times with good results and did not lose a case due to split necks. For accuracy it delivers quite well. Primer pockets are consistent and properly cut. I dont think you will be disappointed

Wapit1 and wingman like this.
  4. vipershooter

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    Thanks for the response, I know you are pretty busy.
    I had a feeling that you would know something about Starline. I'm going to give it a try as soon as the rifle shows up never personally been a fan of Hornady brass, and Lapua is too high for this project.

This gun will probably be used for paper only no hunting, what size primer pockets would you use?

5. bulletman

bulletman Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sedalia
    Primer size selection for this cartridge is a loaded decision........ for a hunting rifle with normal hunting requirements of velocity and gun system performance combined with the temperature swings a hunting rig can have to perform in I will say Large primer brass. For a competitive gun setup and the required needs of pressures (velocities) and needs for extremely consistent performance (extreme spreads of velocities and low standard deviations) along with decent brass life at the levels that most of these gun platforms are run at I would go with Small primer brass. Both primers will work ok for both situations, but the large primers would be my all-around choice.