Hey Boogan1

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Cook, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Cook

Cook Active Member

May 28, 2003
    Hey,keep your head down and stay safe.I'm in Naples and riding it out..working till noon sat. and its too late to leave.Batten down the hatches!

2. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Good luck cook, stay low.

3. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Active Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
  4. swat1018

swat1018 Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    Stay safe. I hope my trailer in Okeechobee can ride it out.

5. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Let's hope it doesn't temporarily turn into part of the Atlantic.

6. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I just pulled up the latest info on the storm. I guess it's shifted and is supposed to hit sw Florida. My sister is in fort Myers and it's supposed to get hit.

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    We have some friends on the gulf side and they decided a couple days ago to stick it out. They hadn't predicted the westerly position then so they thought they'd be fine. Gonna be bumpy here soon.

8. swat1018

swat1018 Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    This storm is so big, it is going to rock most of the state.

9. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Stover, MO
    Sorry I didn't reply, I was on the road. We were actually in MO when this thing turned into a hurricane and we made a mad dash back to our florida house. We packed up important papers and photo albums and things like that and headed back to MO. We didn't see any need to ride it out down there with a perfectly good house or three in MO. My boat is secured in the dry barn and it has stood up to a cat 4 so I am hoping for the best. The way it looks right now it is probably going to get some wind and rain in Destin but shouldn't be terrible. Cook, our prayers are with you buddy becasue I think you are going to get slammed. I live in Charleston during Hugo and I think it was only a cat 3. I don't want any part of any more hurricanes. If I can get out I will. It isn't so much the damage as it is that there are no services, like water, electricity, food, streets are impassable because of debris, gasoline is in short supply, etc. I have other places to go so I am not contributing to the disaster. I really feel for those that have nowhere else to go.

DougC, Mailman and archer66 like this.
  10. Steelman

Steelman Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Glenn, glad to hear you're okay and out of harm's way. I'm hoping the Destin, Navarre Beach area don't get hit too hard. Let me know, in general, how it looks when you get back down to your place please. If you need anything, just ask.

11. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Stover, MO
    I talked to some of my good friends down there today and they said it was really a non-event. A little rain and wind, nothing that doesn't happen there all the time. The biggest thing they are dealing with is a lower than normal low tide. The hurricane sucked water out of the bays and the water is really low, like 3 ft or more lower than normal. One of my friends had to run his boat out to the channel in his bayou and anchor it because the water got too shallow at his dock. My boat is safe and sound in the dry barn. Thanks everyone for the concern and good thoughts. Has anyone heard from Cook? They got hit way harder. Hope they are doing ok.

12. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Stover, MO
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    High and dry!

bluecan likes this.
  13. Cook

Cook Active Member

May 28, 2003
    Well,ended up taking a direct hit,but could have been much worse,not much strucual damage,but lots of damage from trees.Still no power,but I'm "prepped" and doing fine.Haven.t had to go to a store or get gas,but I hear people are starting to get testy.
    Traffic lights are a big issue,people don't always treat them as a 4 way stop.Might have 6 lights working,cruising along fine,then come upon one that catches you by suprise.Its a shame the majority of deaths will come from CO2 from generators,saw 4 kids died in 1 house,all 7 and younger.

14. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Stover, MO
    Glad to hear you are ok. I lived in Charleston SC when Hugo hit down there. I think we were without power for about a week. We didn't have any damage to the house but there were trees down everywhere. Took weeks to clean up all the trees and haul off. What a shame about those kids. You would think it would be pretty common knowledge that things that burn fuel create CO2 and have to be vented properly. I don't understand how anyone could not know that. We really dodged a bullet on this one but it would have only had to track a few miles further west and it would have been in our lap. Was better to be prepared for it.

15. MAJORTOM

MAJORTOM Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    At work as usual
    Glad you made it through Ok Cook. Could have been much worse! Every time people lose power for any period of time you here of someone dying from CO poisoning. There's no explaining they're lack of common sense!