66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmmmm......
Plant Botany Organism Terrestrial plant Gesture

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's probably sponsored by Crockett Bit and Spur Co! :scared:
This is actually UNBIASED research... and it IS RESEARCH as opposed to anecdotal observations...

Reactions: tri-lakes bowhunter

· Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
great looking spurs, and I have NEVER EVER heard of anyone who ages by beard length (except jakes). Maybe they screwed up the data entry while banding or maybe that birds found a steroid patch, either way, if it was a 2 yo, imaging the spur length if he made it to four!

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm having a hard time believing those spurs are 1.25 from that pic
I have a hard time believing a renowned turkey research biologist would have trouble measuring a spur...

And Im POSITIVE thats not 3/4 inch and blunt...

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People are worse at measuring spurs than they are antlers
People, yes. This guy? No... Id bet hes NWTF certified.

Does that look like a 2 year old to you?

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We could estimate from the pic. How wide is a turkeys leg on average?

· Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Hawk, no question if that is actually a 2 yo, it's a freak and more than likely an exception to the rule. I would say determining a turkeys age accurately is extremely difficult.I wish I could cannon net the jakes we have that frequent our property this Spring and see how old they get , the spur measurement would be interesting as well since they walk on rocks and dull them from dawn to dusk.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hawk, no question if that is actually a 2 yo, it's a freak and more than likely an exception to the rule. I would say determining a turkeys age accurately is extremely difficult.I wish I could cannon net the jakes we have that frequent our property this Spring and see how old they get , the spur measurement would be interesting as well since they walk on rocks and dull them from dawn to dusk.
It seems to happen a lot in their 10 years of research.

Ive never seen a turkey drag its spurs in the ground.... how are the wearing them down on rocks?

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Font Material property Screenshot Document Parallel

Reactions: 20'
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.