Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reb,

Got to thinkin' after we left that the drake is possibly a Eclipsed Drake Mallet. After doing some checkin' it appears to be so. Can't remember ever seeing one this late in the season.

[file]84145[/file]

[file]84147[/file]

·
Grrrrrrr
30,003 Posts
I tend to agree with ya, aint any bigger than that hen either.....did it have any curl on the tail?

I've never seen one this time of year.

·
Lunch break commander
8,519 Posts
is that just a form of mallard or another species.

G

·
[rquote=1508988&tid=105229&author=Pastor]is that just a form of mallard or another species.[/rquote]
It is a mallard. Its just a young mallard, probably a late hatchling. I killed a young one like this also this year

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No curl defined curls, had one that was starting to turn up.

It's a moulting phase, when their in their non-breeding phase the drakes tend to take on more of the brown colors of the hen. The way I understand it the younger drakes may take longer to get out of the eclipse phase then the older more experienced drakes.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
da blue racer strikes again:cheers:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
last monday i shot one of those at grand pass. the belly of the duck was totally a hen....the other guys said it was a juvenile......

the guy doing the avian flu sample thought it was an interesting duck also...is there something special about them or are they pretty common.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
killed one like that on friday down here in Arkansas. real small duck...we assumed it was a juvenile. real skinny neck and the curl was just one feather and barely there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts